Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 128 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

Krteq

May 22, 2015
72 CUs, 255W TDP, 2.4 GHz Game Clock is too good to be true... That's literally like 2x perf/W. I'm not going to keep my hopes up for that tbh.
Also add 128 (NAVI2) ROPs :)

But I'm quite skeptical about this... if that's true than Suzanne Plummer's team must be full of magicians :D

... but you know, Ryzen/next-gen semi-customs...

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Well, they already said there is an "XTX," and I just love that this nonsense is being resurrected. Hopefully, it means a true XT > XTX > XTXTX > XTXXTTTXXX sort of thing and that there is real performance (like actually used to happen) attached to the nonsense (and so it is defensible), but I doubt it is more than a 3090 competitor, whatever that means (price, performance, efficiency, etc.)

and whenever it arrives, with whatever Nvidia has to throw it at that unannounced time.
It is very likely that 'XTX' refers to the die, AMD will likely have XT and non-XT variants.

AMD also will likely hold at least a few SKUs back to deal with any response NVIDIA has.

I personally am hoping for a Radeon 6950XT. I own a Radeon HD 6950, so it would be fitting that I purchase a 6950 XT. :D :D :D

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
XT is 80 CUs, I don't know why people keep thinking its 72.

The largest variant is 80CUs. The next largest is 72 CUs. GPUs are more prone to defects than CPUs (especially chiplet based CPUs) so AMD has to have multiple SKUs for every die. Remember that it isn't just about defective CUs, but CUs that don't hit clock speed targets.

Yields will determine whether the full fat 80CU part gets launched right away or not.

A Radeon GPU die is 4X (or more) more likely to have a defect than a Ryzen chiplet.

Kepler_L2

Sep 6, 2020
The largest variant is 80CUs. The next largest is 72 CUs. GPUs are more prone to defects than CPUs (especially chiplet based CPUs) so AMD has to have multiple SKUs for every die. Remember that it isn't just about defective CUs, but CUs that don't hit clock speed targets.

Yields will determine whether the full fat 80CU part gets launched right away or not.

A Radeon GPU die is 4X (or more) more likely to have a defect than a Ryzen chiplet.
Yes they have 4 SKUs, XT and XTX are full die (80 CU), XL is 72 CU and XE is probably 64 CU trash dies and likely OEM only.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
If its 80 CU die, and has 2.4 GHz GAME CLOCK, at 255 TGP then this is freaking the most efficient GPU architecture, that has ever been made by any company.

It's entirely possible, it's just nuts. I've been told that they've managed to get in-lab silicon to almost 3 GHz. Obviously shipping parts won't reach that. What is likely helping them a lot are the refinements they made to the 7nm process when the Ryzen XT chips launched.

I will be completely shocked if these chips don't perform amazingly well. Clearly AMD isn't concerned about memory bandwidth since they didn't increase the bus size (they decreased it for the 40CU part even). They reworked other areas of the GPU that could have caused scaling issues.

EDIT: Jensen is going to have a heart attack.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015

No. He is right. XT always has been the full die, and XTX was extreme version of that Full die.

RX 5700 XT Lisa Su edition was XTX version. RX 5700 XT was Navi 10 XT.

This is the actual FULL DIE.

This makes it actually even more mind blowing, guys. AMD actually have pulled the greatest physical design ever.
Yes they have 4 SKUs, XT and XTX are full die (80 CU), XL is 72 CU and XE is probably 64 CU trash dies and likely OEM only.
XE is supposedly coming next year.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Then the question is, which GPU's scores did they show us during Zen3 presentation.
If it was just for demo, they could've used ANY configuration in the die, with ANY clock speeds.

They could've used Navi 21 Die, with special, "demo" BIOS, that was specifically designed to blatantly sandbag its performance.

Im not saying this is what happened. But its possible, after all.

Reactions: lightmanek

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
It's entirely possible, it's just nuts. I've been told that they've managed to get in-lab silicon to almost 3 GHz. Obviously shipping parts won't reach that. What is likely helping them a lot are the refinements they made to the 7nm process when the Ryzen XT chips launched.

I will be completely shocked if these chips don't perform amazingly well. Clearly AMD isn't concerned about memory bandwidth since they didn't increase the bus size (they decreased it for the 40CU part even). They reworked other areas of the GPU that could have caused scaling issues.

EDIT: Jensen is going to have a heart attack.
They did claim reduced complexity and switching power. Simpler circuits doing the same job as before, so less transistors, etc, should allow for higher speed limits.

Reactions: Tlh97 and BlitzWulf

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I need XFX to come out with a RX6900XTX XTRA THICCC Pro III triple slot cooler version.
takemymoney.jpg