Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Mac Pro has Navi 10 GPUs. So its easy to see next iteration of MP to use Navi 21 GPUs.
Right. I'm not 100% sure on that being a Mac Pro only thing, though. Doesn't make sense to run older Vega parts in the other Macs and only upgrade the Mac Pro. If it's that then it'll be a while until Apple come out with their own dGPU.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lol. Hype train has reached moon orbit.

3GHz? Maybe under LN2.
It got an eye roll from me. Reminds me of the weird stuff I see coming out of a demented orangutans raging entrails destiny prior to Zen 2's launch or any dumb piddle paddle they've put out.

If that doesn't makes sense to you or anyone else, look at the first letter of each word after "I see coming out of" including the lone 'a.'

No point in giving SEO brownies to a rag. I thought about using italics on the individual letters but it's more fun this way to see who can figure it out. Need to figure out cleverer terms for the other rabble.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014

3GHz? Maybe under LN2.
I know it looks crazy, but i still remeber that my GTX970 G1 boosted at 1300mhz and then i get GTX1070 gainward GS and it boosted at 2000Mhz.Thats 53% clock increase.My sapphire 5700xt nitro+ boosted at 1950-2000mhz stock.If that 40CU SKU will boost at 2800Mhz it will be only 43% clock increase.So nothing we didint see already in the past.Looks like AMD have "pascal" moment with RDNA2.
Nvidia must know it because they releasing 400w+ monsters just keep with it LOL.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Nvidia must know it because they releasing 400w+ monsters just keep with it LOL.
Well yes, but Nvidia has had the better architecture for quite some time now. All it takes is a better engineering process and it’s probably back to status quo. AMD has generally had a good chip, but seem to always add too much voltage. They also preferred HD libraries vs high performance ones. This is why AMD’s chips are much smaller in size compared to Nvidias.
All it takes is for some genius at AMD to say let’s build a big chip this time, screw density, and let’s have day at it.
So either stupidity is now gone, or Nvidia foooked up badly hoping Samsung cheapness will keep their stock holders happy

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

3GHz? Maybe under LN2.
While I would absolutely love if it actually did reach 3GHz just to laugh at how AMD created a GPU that actually competes with ARM in clocks... Yeah, REALLY doubt that one I'm afraid.

Reactions: Tlh97

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
Well yes, but Nvidia has had the better architecture for quite some time now. All it takes is a better engineering process and it’s probably back to status quo. AMD has generally had a good chip, but seem to always add too much voltage. They also preferred HD libraries vs high performance ones. This is why AMD’s chips are much smaller in size compared to Nvidias.
All it takes is for some genius at AMD to say let’s build a big chip this time, screw density, and let’s have day at it.
So either stupidity is now gone, or Nvidia foooked up badly hoping Samsung cheapness will keep their stock holders happy
For which chip did they prefer HD libraries instead of high performance ones? It's not RDNA1, Renoir has almost 50% better transistor density. Polaris and Vega on 14nm have comparable transistor density and Nvidia Pascal had just ~10% worse because It was built using 16nm process.
If you compare RDNA1 vs Turing then It's because they are built on 7nm vs 12nm process and Ampere on 8nm process has higher density than RDNA1.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Some expectations here are totally unrealistic IMO.

Yeah. Always the same. 80CU 2.2ghz seems to be somewhat realistic at according power consumption around 300W. But now we suddenly are at 2.7 ghz with 250W. People here are setting the launch up to be a failure just due to the over hyped expectations if the top sku lands at 3080 level with just lower power use.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
All AMD recent GPU launches were plagued by unrealistic fanboy expectations which were shot down by reality.

I'd say it's stuuupid to jump in another hype train. Especially in a forum full of smart people and with enough information to not fall for these gossips.

The reality will hurt and go against AMD. If they do realise the impossible and release a 3 GHz 96CU 300W RDNA2, yepedeedoo! But my expectations are at 2.2 GHz, 80cu, maybe 250w. Ant they will not move regardless, till launch day. If they do, it will have to be a rock hard proof, not forum ramblings.

/rant :)

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All AMD recent GPU launches were plagued by unrealistic fanboy expectations which were shot down by reality.

I'd say it's stuuupid to jump in another hype train. Especially in a forum full of smart people and with enough information to not fall for these gossips.

The reality will hurt and go against AMD. If they do realise the impossible and release a 3 GHz 96CU 300W RDNA2, yepedeedoo! But my expectations are at 2.2 GHz, 80cu, maybe 250w. Ant they will not move regardless, till launch day. If they do, it will have to be a rock hard proof, not forum ramblings.

/rant :)
After all that you ended up with an expectation way beyond my own lol.

Not to mention an expectation people would have called you completely insane for making just two days ago.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah. Always the same. 80CU 2.2ghz seems to be somewhat realistic at according power consumption around 300W. But now we suddenly are at 2.7 ghz with 250W. People here are setting the launch up to be a failure just due to the over hyped expectations if the top sku lands at 3080 level with just lower power use.
I would be perfectly happy with a high end card at around 3080 levels with less power usage. I mean, the 3080 is already using more than 300W. If I get more than expected, well, I will be happy and take it, but I am not expecting miracles. I hope there is at least sufficient stock though.

Reactions: Tlh97 and misuspita

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I would be perfectly happy with a high end card at around 3080 levels with less power usage. I mean, the 3080 is already using more than 300W. If I get more than expected, well, I will be happy and take it, but I am not expecting miracles. I hope there is at least sufficient stock though.

Agree but people will be disapointed and call it a fail because they expected 250w RTX3090 performance for $699.

Stock for sure will be a issue. Zen3, consoles and RDNA2. A little much all at once I fear.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
After all that you ended up with an expectation way beyond my own lol.

Not to mention an expectation people would have called you completely insane for making just two days ago.
Yes, it's a new upper limit for me :)))))

A few weeks ago I wouldn't dare go that high, and you're right, it's stupid high even at that. But that I set as my absolute highest I could see them go this generation. Having a lower real product will not bother me because I have no intentions on buying(Eastern Europe, money are meh in this Covid period), although will be disappointing, Nvidia will reign free again. But I hope they do, because competition drives progress and a good halo product may make a good lower stack product as well.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
It's clear that we are finally reaching the mythical "Raja's GPU" we have been waiting for.
Yeah. Always the same. [...] People here are setting the launch up to be a failure just due to the over hyped expectations if the top sku lands at 3080 level with just lower power use.
What's dissapointing is that these are the same people that overhyped Vega. Posts implying that Vega will have better perf/watt and performance, will beat the 1080ti, will reach 50% market share, will have "tremendous perf/$" and kick Nvidia's ass, or that Nvidia released the 1080ti because of Vega's awesome performance.

Navi was a really good step forward, and AMD definitely have their chance to actually compete after Nvidia's somewhat weaker launch (maybe launches if we include Turing) , but there's no need to overhype so much.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
My prediction for the two top cards with todays info.

RX6900XT with 16GB HBM2E ram / ~RTX3090 raster performance at $1299
RX6800XT with 16GB HBM2E ram / ~RTX3080 raster performance at $699