Speculation on Ryzen Overclocking

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
IEC, what case will you be using? I was originally going with a Fractal Define S but it was too tight with both Magicool rads even though they were slim. I was afraid of there not being enough room for the Asus CH6 so I opted for a Thermaltake V51. I thought it had enough room in the roof for the EK CE420 but again too tight for my tasts so I'm going with dual Magicool G2 slim 360 rads with 6 XSPC 1600 rpm 120mm fans controlled by a fan controller. Since I'm only cooling the cpu it is really overkill but put in both rads if I eventually WC a single Vega.

I'm going to pair the WC'd 1800x with 2 air cooled reference Sapphire RX480s-8G in CF. Should be fun!:D

I'm actually going to be using two cases:
Corsair Air 540 will house the PC components (I have one on hand)
Thermaltake Core P3 SE will house the water cooling components (dual pump housing/res + 420mm and 360mm rads)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133317
This should let me get away with air cooling the graphics card(s) while piping most of the CPU thermal output to the external rad box (i.e. the Core P3 SE)

Yeah, it's overkill and absolutely excessive, but I already had the radiators and I figured it's a good way to build a higher flow equivalent to a MO-RA3 or similar.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I will be happy to see robust bus overclocking retun. Turning a knob or raising multipliers may have its use for beginners, but the real fun is in raising bus clocks and fiddling with memory straps/timings!

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Has there been any other leak about XFR's mechanism? From what I have read so far it seems like you cannot really tell at what frequency the CPU is running when XFR is active. Will there be a hook to disable XFR in the BIOS, or is it part of thermal protection woven into the chip that cannot be disabled?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Has there been any other leak about XFR's mechanism? From what I have read so far it seems like you cannot really tell at what frequency the CPU is running when XFR is active. Will there be a hook to disable XFR in the BIOS, or is it part of thermal protection woven into the chip that cannot be disabled?

https://videocardz.com/66484/amd-ryzen-xfr-and-overclocking-demos-leaked

Here’s another video from Ryzen Tech Day. This video is still under NDA because it contains some information that will be unveiled on March 2nd, when the embargo ends. Probably the most interesting part is about XFR and overclocking (starts at around 16:10).

So far this is the only video showing Ryzen Master overclocking tool in action (at 19:05). At 19:50 mark the signal from the PC cuts off when overclocking was applied, which either means that overclocking failed or the signal was interrupted by unknown reason. Well.. not a good sign.

Looks like it will take all cores to 3.7GHz for the 1800X (base clock 3.6) and A single core (potentially more?) to 4.1GHz.

It was kind of funny when they ran all 8 Cores at 4.1Ghz the screen cut out... BSOD? :cool: Who knows? but funny. You can see Ian from AT in the video laughing (lower left)

Last edited:

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
It was kind of funny when they ran all 8 Cores at 4.1Ghz the screen cut out... BSOD? :cool: Who knows? but funny. You can see Ian from AT in the video laughing (lower left)

They kept talking as if nothing happened.. It seems the stream cut out and that's it, but still, weird.

They forgot to up the voltage? :D

Reactions: Drazick

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well with the overclocked pre-built systems on sale up to 4.2Ghz and they have to be very conservative as they still offer 3 year warranty that gives me hope that we will be able to get 4.5Ghz or so with top tier cooling and enough fiddling around to fine tune it.

Im feeling alot better now than last week about the OC potential.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Stilt has already commented on this. RyZEN does not need a beefy board like X58 thanks to its power-thrifty nature. (X58 was a furnace) A board will stand out or fall into obscurity depending on how well its BIOS is programmed to ensure compatibility with memory and extract performance out of the CPU.

AMD Overdrive has had a facelift and it now looks pretty and modern, but from my quick glance the options available to users are more or less the same as the older version, which was already quite thorough. The question is how well it is going to work with 82+ motherboards that will reportedly debut with RyZEN.

I miss Mr. Oscar Wu..

Maybe it doesnt need beefy VRM's at stock, but i think if we push it hard that it will get up into the 200w range just like x58 chips.

VRM's are usually the limiting factor in the higher end overclocks and have been for decades, i dont think zen magically fixed that. I still think its going to require some good mobo's to get the best from it.

Who knows though in a week we will know for sure.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The question is how much more will people pay for a board that can deliver the best OC and is it more than the increased cost to deliver that result.

If people will pay an extra $50+ for another few hundred MHz they can't get anywhere else, I expect that you'll see such a board eventually should it be possible to make. If on the other hand the OC is limited by the chip, then there's no purpose to making a better board outside of just selling it on having the best specs.