Speculation: Keller's role at Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Jim Keller's legacy at Intel be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
I agree. I think he's there to give them focus. I think Intel's biggest problem has been figuring out what is the next big thing these days.

Seems our intuition was pretty much right. Keller won't be credited with any architectural legacy at Intel.

Managing 10000 People at Intel

IC: I know it’s still kind of fresh, so I’m not sure what kind of NDAs you are still under, but your work at Intel - was that more of a clean slate? Can you go into any detail about what you did there?

JK:
I can’t talk too much, obviously. The role I had was Senior Vice President of Silicon Engineering Group, and the team was 10,000 people. They're doing so many different things, it's just amazing. It was something like 60 or 70 SoCs is in flight at a time, literally from design to prototyping, debugging, and in production. So it was a fairly diverse group, and there my staff was vice presidents and senior fellows, so it was a big organizational thing.

I had thought I was going there because there was a bunch of new technology to go build. I spent most of my time working with the team about both organizational and methodology transformation, like new CAD tools, new methodologies, new ways to build chips. A couple of years before I joined, they started what's called the SoC IP view of building chips, versus Intel's historic monolithic view. That to be honest wasn't going well, because they took the monolithic chips, they took the great client and server parts, and simply broke it into pieces. You can't just break it into pieces - you have to actually rebuild those pieces and some of the methodology goes with it.

We found a bunch of people [internally] who were really excited about working on that, and I also spent a lot of time on IP quality, IP density, libraries, characterization, process technology. You name it, I was on it. My days were kind of wild - some days I’d have 14 different [meetings] in one day. It was just click, click, click, click, so many things going on.

IC: All those meetings, how did you get anything done?

JK:
I don't get anything done technically! I got told I was the senior vice president - it's evaluation, set direction, make judgment calls, or let’s say try some organizational change, or people change. That adds up after a while. Know that the key thing about getting somewhere is to know where you are going, and then put an organization in place that knows how to do that - that takes a lot of work. So I didn't write much code, but I did send a lot of text messages.

An AnandTech Interview with Jim Keller: 'The Laziest Person at Tesla'

PS. The interview also highlights very well his achievements in turning around AMD CPU design — something for which he deserves a lot of credit, even though the Zen chief architect is AMD Corporate Fellow Mike Clark. Clark has largely subsumed Keller's previous role at AMD, it seems, now being responsible for "CPU core strategy, design and roadmap".

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think this answer does a good job summing up both Keller's approach and potential influence:
We had this really fun meeting, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Suzanne called me up and said that people on the Zen team don't believe they can do it. I said, ‘great - I'll drive to the airport, I’m in California, and I'll see you there tomorrow morning, eight o'clock. Make sure you have a big room with lots of whiteboards’. It was like 30 angry people ready to tell me all the reasons why it wouldn't work.

So I just wrote all of the reasons down on a whiteboard, and we spent two days solving them. It was wild because it started with me defending against the gang, but people started to jump in. I was like, whenever possible, when somebody would say ‘I know how we fix that’, I would give them the pen and they would get up on the board and explain it. It worked out really good. The thing was, the honesty of what they did, was great. Here are all the problems that we don't know how to solve, and so we're putting them on the table. They didn't give you 2 reasons but hold back 10 and say ‘you solve those two’. There was none of that kind of bullshit kind of stuff. They were serious people that had real problems, and they'd been through projects where people said they could solve these problems, and they couldn't. So they were probably calling me out, but like I’m just not a bullshitter. I’m not a bullshitter, but I told them how some we can do, some I don't know. But I remember, Mike Clark was there and he said we could solve all these problems. You know I walked out when our thing is pretty good, and people walked out of the room feeling okay, but two days later problems all pop back up. So you know, like how often do you have to go convince somebody? But that’s why they got through it. It wasn’t just me hectoring them from the sidelines, there were lots of people and lots of parts of the team that really said, they’re willing to really put some energy into this, which is great.
He mentions where it could fall apart, like holding back reasons etc. So constructive participation by all participants is a significant prerequisite, which again may well be influenced by the corporate culture.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
The video release of Ian Cutress' interview with Jim Keller:

Although I already had read the transcript from the interview article, I thoroughly enjoyed the video. Well worth watching!

Last edited:

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
In his introduction for this presentation, former Intel SVP Jim Keller — who worked on motivating and directing their engineers, while adopting new and better methodologies — jokes that he aged 10 years during his 2-year stint at Intel, and that it was "like working in a computer museum":

Reactions: moinmoin

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Most who work for any company at that level are worse for wear.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
He was hired as Contract Killer :). Failed to kill off competition though, so left.