• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Speculation: i9-9900K is Intel's last hurrah in gaming

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will Intel lose it's gaming CPU lead in 2019?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
The way i see this:
1st tier gaming CPUs - Intel 9900K, 9700K, 8700K and 9600K. AMD Ryzen 3950X, 3900X, 3800X and 3700X
Just because when you can afford those CPU's, you can also afford a decent 1440P monitor or a 4K one

But to answer the thread title, no the 9900K wont be the last best gaming cpu in the world manufactured by Intel, the KS will increase the tiny gap for sure . Good thing is that we now have competition and that will increase pressure on Intel to lower prices further

Last edited:

maddie

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2010

TheELF

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2012
Please read the Anandtech review for the latest on clockspeed and performance.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/5

Happy to be of service and please feel free to request help in the future. ;)
From the article you linked:
We've updated the article benchmark numbers on the Ryzen 9 3900X. We've seen 3-9% improvements in exclusive ST workloads. MT workloads have remained unchanged,
Der8auer showed what would be needed to get MT up.
There is not one single game that uses only one single thread in a vacuum so getting a higher ST result will not change anything for gaming, you want a higher ST while all or at least a lot of threads are active.

maddie

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2010

There is not one single game that uses only one single thread in a vacuum so getting a higher ST result will not change anything for gaming, you want a higher ST while all or at least a lot of threads are active.
And yet, there appears to be some gain in MT for some of the benchmarks. I don't think it's as straightforward as you claim.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017

I'm waiting for the updated power consumption figures, because the figures they've listed adhere strictly to the PPT limits that PB2 and XFR2 operate within.
PBO would override these limits, with the consequent increase in power draw across the board.
Unless these CPUs are severely thermally constrained even within stock settings, we've not truly seen PBO in action. If they are so severely thermally constrained then you do have to wonder why AMD even bothered with a warranty-busting feature that does diddly squat.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
I'm waiting for the updated power consumption figures, because the figures they've listed adhere strictly to the PPT limits that PB2 and XFR2 operate within.
PBO would override these limits, with the consequent increase in power draw across the board.
Unless these CPUs are severely thermally constrained even within stock settings, we've not truly seen PBO in action. If they are so severely thermally constrained then you do have to wonder why AMD even bothered with a warranty-busting feature that does diddly squat.
I must say I dont give much hope to the max performance with BIOS/driver optimisation
manual overcklocking and tuning doesnt give much more above what we have ATM
still waiting for my 3900X :(
as I see it TSMC 7nm is too dense and that heat flow density is too high
that is why IMO Intel does coffe lake cores with much lower density that 14nm theoretical- they give it for that MHz

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
They don't look thermally constrained to me.

My bet is power / current constraints. Reminds me of the first BIOS revision on my Z370 board, where AVX loads plunged clocks way bellow all-core turbo due to a hidden current limit. Limit was removed in a further BIOS revision.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Having just seen some screen shots on Reddit in relation to other stuff, I'd also like to see some Ryzen Master screenshots of folk that think that PBO is actually overriding current and power limits. Ryzen Master clearly displays what those limits are, so if they are being exceeded via PBO then folk should easily be able to prove it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

mopardude87

Oct 22, 2018
I believe Anandtech still tests gaming with a GTX 1080 (!), not even a 1080 Ti. That's basically an upper mid range card these days, so their gaming tests aren't really useful IMO because they are so GPU limited.
Even with that low of a gpu choice,their 1080p and gx1080 results still show cpu bottlenecking especially in GTA V with high settings. I find those numbers extremely helpful as a basis and avid player of that game. The 4k numbers are extremely useless given i turn down the most extreme of settings and was pulling a easy 60+ avg on a 1070ti. The 1080p numbers are nice for at least 144hz gamers and given some Ultra settings like grass absolutely tank fps, putting those settings on high suddenly buy you a easy 50% more frames while still looking nearly as good.

ASK THE COMMUNITY