Spectek memory = Micron Memory?

Braxus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just wondering if Spectek memory in essence is just relabled Micron type memory. The IC design looks the same (e.g. notches)...

Also how well do they overclock? I got a PC133 -75A stick.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Spec-Tek is what my local dealer carries, it's definitely not a Micron chip, you can tell because it doesn't say MT on it..

it has a Superman looking symbol in most cases, sometimes it's NEC..

I have seen Spec-Tek PC133 run in the 150's, and some that i've had to RMA that won't even run @ 133.

Give it a go, nothing is for sure with that stuff.

Braxus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ah interesting... thought it could be relabled micron as their site says:

<< SpecTek is a part of the Micron Technology family of companies, a business group recognized worldwide as leaders in memory technology. This stategic relationship enables us to provide superior products and extraordinary service. >>

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Meh, i dunno... the Micron chips say MT on them, the SpecTek memory I have doesn't, and it also doesn't perform like Micron.. it seemed nothing alike to me, but I could be wrong I guess...

odog

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
spec-tek is made by micron on the same assemly line as the stuff that goes into crucial sticks and gets shipped off for micron(mt) OEM use. it is not binnned quite as rigorously, as mt or crucial and is not gauranteed in the lifeline devices(medical equip/military stuff)

it's cheap:) i would consider it a "good" generic memory.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Spectek uses random chips, which includes micron chips on occasion. I have used a lot of it in the past.

odog

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
yield i have some kingston memory that says "value ram" on it. kingston is a fabless company, what chips say on the outside aren't always what they actual are.

spie34

Jan 23, 2002
spectek chips aren't that good. friend of mine speaks from experience.

micron gets chips in and puts them together and sells them at that.

I am thinking that they are mostly remanufactured ram chips or something. though could be wrong. I read it somewhere once. guess I could ask some friends that work at micron since I live bout 50 miles away from them

nortexoid

Diamond Member
May 1, 2000
e-phex, are u sure about that?...all of the generic spectek crap that i've purchased says "assembled in canada"...as far as i know - NO micron PCBs are assembled in Canada, so....i don't think spectek and micron are made on the same assembly line - in fact, i'm almost sure they're not.

spectek is some awful ram for oc'ing...in fact, it's some awful ram altogether...i've had some sticks being misreported in size, cause faulty functioning (lock-ups), etc...generally it works fine if u run it by its SPD eeprom settings, but i wouldn't suggest running it more aggressively if stability is what u're after.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only truly dead DIMM I have seen was a Spectek. It was really dead (failed in a DIMM tester).

CSoup

Jan 9, 2002
Spectek is part of the micron family of ram board makers. Crucial is the top of the line stuff. Spectek is more like the stuff you will find at the pricewatch companies (it is probably a little better, but not much). Basically what Spectek does is they buy dead dimms from the open market and probably get some that fail Crucial's tests. Then they desolder the ram pieces and test them individually to find working ones. These are put in a bin to be used in the manufacture of Spectek ram boards. They might even reuse the PCBs also. You can call it refurbished ram I guess.