Speaker setup for samsung 60" smart TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
i duno what is the watt of this speaker. It didnt mention in specs. How to know it

doesn't really matter does it?
Soundbar systems are a compromise, so go to best buy or costco, listen to it, if you like it, buy it.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
fyi i imagine the pics are a pit misleading
it looks like the rear use rca cable for connections

trueislander

Sep 28, 2017
I can tell you that most of the "amazing" black Friday deals are products that don't exist before/after black Friday. These TV's and soundbars are built from leftover parts as cheaply as possible for the holiday rush. You absolutely, positively get what you pay for!

As a former high-performance AV sales guy I'm going to ask a couple questions you need to Honestly consider.
How important are the following? (1-5 scale, 5 being most important)
  • Performance (how clear the sound is at lower volumes)
  • Price
  • Aesthetics (how it looks, how big the soundbar/speakers/receiver are)
  • Longevity
These are going to determine what sort of a system you are truly in the market for.
I can't tell you how many times a customer who lives in an apartment would tell me he didn't need too much wattage because he doesn't want to blow out his neighbors. More wattage = clarity at lower volumes, meaning you can keep the volume lower and still hear dialogue. Plus, if the customer cared about his neighbors he wouldn't be trying to buy a subwoofer ;) Think of wattage as horsepower in a car, would you rather keep your RPM's under 2000 most of the time or constantly red-line it? How long do you think it would last in either scenario. Just my 2cents

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
When I built my system I had a similar problem as you. Limited budget and kids (although mine were older).
This is what I went with:

Sony STRDH750 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver $198
2X Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker $127 each
Total: $452

It set me up with a pretty good start to a home theater. I hate the receiver, I've had nothing but problems with it, but when it works it is a massive improvement over the built in speakers on my TV.

About a month later I added a center channel:
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker $66

This helped even more. Dialog is much clearer. I kept that for most of a year, then at Yule I got a subwolfer.
12-Inch 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer, Black $90.00

That is where my system is now. Over a year I spent just over $600 on my sound system. I would not have spent that at one time. I am seriously considering adding more speakers to it to make it into a 5.1, but I might have to replace the receiver instead because even after replacing it twice I have to mess with it constantly to get it to work.

The good thing about this is that since I bought relatively good speakers I will be able to keep them for a long time and add to the system as my needs and funds grow. Speaker technology doesn't change much.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
fyi, that receiver is not really 4k, it does not have hdcp 2.2

i had heard good things about the andrew jones speakers also
but decided on the infinity route due to a sale

Reactions: trueislander

trueislander

Sep 28, 2017
Great point SMOGZINN, I didn't think to mention that! You can replace the Receiver every 6 or so years as technology changes, but view the speakers as more permanent. You could buy a pair of bookshelf speakers as your fronts, with the idea of them becoming rear channels down the road. This is exactly how I'm building my new setup, starting with bookshelves with the goal being tower speakers as my fronts in another 3 years. That way, the speakers are never replaced, just repurposed. Once you're ready for a full upgrade, that system can get moved to the bedroom or office.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
fyi, that receiver is not really 4k, it does not have hdcp 2.2
I probably should have pointed that out as well. It does not matter to me as I'm pairing it with a 1080p Plasma screen that I am very fond of. I figured that when I was ready to upgrade to a 4k monitor I would also upgrade the receiver. My idea was to buy what I needed then to get me started and then when I was ready to upgrade the technology would be better and I would get more for less. When I bought this 4k was still relatively new, I figured I could get this then for under $200, wait a few years and good 4k receivers would come down at least $200 in price in the meantime, and I would get the advantages of whatever advances happen in the meantime. I hope to be able to get a good percent of my cost back out of the receiver by selling it, but at the price I paid I'm not going to be to worried too much if I don't.

If anyone is thinking about getting this specific receiver I have a word of warning; this model has a problem where it sends an improperly formatted EDID signal which causes problems with HTPCs. Sony has given up on trying to fix it and is just telling us this model is no longer supported.

i had heard good things about the andrew jones speakers also
but decided on the infinity route due to a sale

I bought the Andrew Jones' on sale as well. I'm really impressed with them. For the price they are excellent speakers.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i did the same thing for an avr
4k was just coming out. i got a denon 2100 for a fraction of the cost
figured by the time the dust settled, i would get a new one

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
I went to best buy and listened to sound bar system. Didn't like the sound. Comparatively better was JBL but that is still ok ok type for me . I realized that I m the person who likes more bass n crisp sound.
In thinking mode now !!! Woohoo

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I went to best buy and listened to sound bar system. Didn't like the sound. Comparatively better was JBL but that is still ok ok type for me . I realized that I m the person who likes more bass n crisp sound.
In thinking mode now !!! Woohoo

Lulz there is no deafeating physics

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
I can tell you that most of the "amazing" black Friday deals are products that don't exist before/after black Friday. These TV's and soundbars are built from leftover parts as cheaply as possible for the holiday rush. You absolutely, positively get what you pay for!

As a former high-performance AV sales guy I'm going to ask a couple questions you need to Honestly consider.
How important are the following? (1-5 scale, 5 being most important)
  • Performance (how clear the sound is at lower volumes)
  • Price
  • Aesthetics (how it looks, how big the soundbar/speakers/receiver are)
  • Longevity
These are going to determine what sort of a system you are truly in the market for.
I can't tell you how many times a customer who lives in an apartment would tell me he didn't need too much wattage because he doesn't want to blow out his neighbors. More wattage = clarity at lower volumes, meaning you can keep the volume lower and still hear dialogue. Plus, if the customer cared about his neighbors he wouldn't be trying to buy a subwoofer ;) Think of wattage as horsepower in a car, would you rather keep your RPM's under 2000 most of the time or constantly red-line it? How long do you think it would last in either scenario. Just my 2cents

• Performance (how clear the sound is at lower volumes) = 4
  • Price =5
  • Aesthetics (how it looks, how big the soundbar/speakers/receiver are) = 2
  • Longevity = 4