Speaker setup for samsung 60" smart TV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb3621n-e8/review/

CNET first time giving 5 star rating for a soundbar it seems. Its compared to even higher end sound bars. I googled about this and see that it is making news. I will go and listen to it then

from that article
"The included wireless sub doesn't skimp on quality. It's a well-built black and silver shoebox that comes with a ported 5-inch woofer. This unit helps the entire system get down to a claimed 50Hz, which is plenty for a system of this size and price."

50hz? i think any decent 6.5" speaker can do that

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
I have another basic question.
my TV output is stero. So when i connect a 5.1 speakers, these stereo 2.0 output gets converted to 5.1 ?
My understanding is that if we have 5.1 output from AV receiver ,only then 5.1 speakers will get audio of 5.1.
Please clarify my doubt

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
@Admin: Sometimes I am getting error, your IP address is banned.How to resolve this issue

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I have another basic question.
my TV output is stero. So when i connect a 5.1 speakers, these stereo 2.0 output gets converted to 5.1 ?
My understanding is that if we have 5.1 output from AV receiver ,only then 5.1 speakers will get audio of 5.1.
Please clarify my doubt

depends on how you connect
if you go from cable/bluray > avr > tv you will get 5.1, if the program has it

if you go cable/bluray > tv > avr, then it will depend on what the tv outputs, often its 5.1

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
depends on how you connect
if you go from cable/bluray > avr > tv you will get 5.1, if the program has it

if you go cable/bluray > tv > avr, then it will depend on what the tv outputs, often its 5.1

Currently i dont have cable/blueray. As I mentioned in title, its smart TV. I will be playing contents through online. For example, if i play content at youtube, my smart tv will give output as stereo. Then how will i get 5.1 with 5.1 speakers?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
the tv should output 5.1 to the avr via optical, digital audio or arc.

i have 2 samsungs, i know the 4k one will, haven't tried the 1080 one

check the tv manual

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
Another basic question : why people are buying blueray player along with home theatre systems. What is the purpose. Just to put blue ray DVD and play movies ?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Another basic question : why people are buying blueray player along with home theatre systems. What is the purpose. Just to put blue ray DVD and play movies ?

Yes. People buy bluray players to play bluray.
Seriously, what else would they do with it?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014

what other purpose would there be? and how would you play them without a player?

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
what other purpose would there be? and how would you play them without a player?

Ok.. understood.
Blue ray disks are costly. So don't want to buy those disks. I don't have 4k definition tv to enjoy that blue ray quality. So a normal DVD player should work right to play only DVDs. ?

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Ok.. understood.
Blue ray disks are costly. So don't want to buy those disks. I don't have 4k definition tv to enjoy that blue ray quality. So a normal DVD player should work right to play only DVDs. ?

sure, but often you can get br and dvd in the same pack

br are not hat much, compared to going to the movies

trueislander

Sep 28, 2017
from that article
"The included wireless sub doesn't skimp on quality. It's a well-built black and silver shoebox that comes with a ported 5-inch woofer. This unit helps the entire system get down to a claimed 50Hz, which is plenty for a system of this size and price."

50hz? i think any decent 6.5" speaker can do that
You're right, but you should see the Vizio with the ultra thin Sub. People are so out of touch with how speakers work that Vizio even suggests you can put it under your couch or bed. Could you imagine a speaker sounding good under a couch?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

trueislander

Sep 28, 2017
Ok.. understood.
A 4K TV will show you SD, HD & 4K. Do you subscribe to cable or satellite TV? If so, that's probably in HD. DVD is SD, and anyone who's seen HD can spot the difference. I'm not surprised that DVD is still sold, people still come into the store asking for VCRs! You should buy a Blu-ray player, that way when DVD players are discontinued you can still play Blu-rays and DVD

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ok.. understood.

Generally speaking BluRays are 1080P. The 4k ones are UHD BluRay

sangu

Sep 25, 2017
So finally reached a conclusion. Only option I have right now is a sound bar.
The reason is that , I live in a rented apartment and big sound is a problem for nearby apartments. My neighbor told that he faced similar issue that his neighbour complained about his sound. :(((
So I will buy a cheaper one now and in future , will buy a 5.1 when I move to independent house.

So I have 2 options to select and Black Friday sale is going on

1. Vizio Sb3621 is $99
2. Samsung-HW-MM45Cis $149
The link.
https://m.costco.com/Samsung-HW-MM4...ith-Wireless-Subwoofer.product.100380581.html

I listened to both and both sounds similar.
I have a samung tv. So is there any advantage if I opt for Samsung .this samung model is only available in Costco. No other sellers are selling it :( no reviews about it. Vizio got high reviews which I posted here before.
Could you guys please suggest me which is best option in these 2

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So finally reached a conclusion. Only option I have right now is a sound bar.
The reason is that , I live in a rented apartment and big sound is a problem for nearby apartments. My neighbor told that he faced similar issue that his neighbour complained about his sound. :(((
So I will buy a cheaper one now and in future , will buy a 5.1 when I move to independent house.

So I have 2 options to select and Black Friday sale is going on

1. Vizio Sb3621 is $99
2. Samsung-HW-MM45Cis $149
The link.
https://m.costco.com/Samsung-HW-MM45C-35.8"-2.1-Channel-Soundbar-with-Wireless-Subwoofer.product.100380581.html

I listened to both and both sounds similar.
I have a samung tv. So is there any advantage if I opt for Samsung .this samung model is only available in Costco. No other sellers are selling it :( no reviews about it. Vizio got high reviews which I posted here before.
Could you guys please suggest me which is best option in these 2

do you have costco membership?