speaker question.........what's crossover...and bandwidth?

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001
Ok, I just had this Alpine CD deck installed in my car. The manual goes in great detail as to how to adjust those settting....but didn't mention anything about the effect on the sound of these setting. Basically, in the bass section...I can choose crossover level of 60, 80, 100 and 200........and bandwith of 1, 2, 3, 4 ( sorry, I don't kno what the heck this means)...and in the treble section, I can choose the crossover level of 100, 12.5, 15, and 17.5..........but no bandwith to choose from. Ok....can someone plz explain to me what the effect of these setting on the sound would be? thanks in advance.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
crossover is selecting the frequencies in which your hu will filter out

say you choose 60hz, anything lower than 60hz will play, higher htan 60 will be filtered

i believe it's low pass/hi pass, low pass 60 means filters anything above 60, hi pass 60 means filters anything below 60

dunno about bandwidth

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Crossover levels are where the system cuts off the frequency... For your bass section, choosing a crossover of 100 would mean anything above 100Hz would be attenuated by either -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, or -24dB. The steeper the slope, the faster frequencies above the crossover level drops. -24dB is the steepest in this case. As for bandwidth, I am assuming they are meaning attenuation slope (-6dB, -12dB, etc etc). Same idea applies to treble - except any frequency Below your crossover point gets attenuated.

The idea here is to play around with those settings and see how your system sounds like as you adjust the settings. Everyone has their own personal taste. You just have to change around the settings until you get the sound you like.

Personally, I keep my sub crossovered at 100/-12dB, and midranges/tweeters at 100Hz/-6dB.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
not sure what they mean by bandwidth as the numbers dont make any practical sense. but the crossovers control what frequencies are sent to the different sets of RCA preamp-outputs. Those would then connect to amplifiers if you had any. then the treble amplifier would connect to your tweeters, the bass to your subwoofer. if you are just using the cd player to power your speakers, then i dont think any of it would apply to your setup.

I can't imagine there not being anything about this in the owners manual. look on alpines website maybe?

jt

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< Ok, I just had this Alpine CD deck installed in my car. The manual goes in great detail as to how to adjust those settting....but didn't mention anything about the effect on the sound of these setting. Basically, in the bass section...I can choose crossover level of 60, 80, 100 and 200........and bandwith of 1, 2, 3, 4 ( sorry, I don't kno what the heck this means)...and in the treble section, I can choose the crossover level of 100, 12.5, 15, and 17.5..........but no bandwith to choose from. Ok....can someone plz explain to me what the effect of these setting on the sound would be? thanks in advance. >>

this might help

luvya

Banned
Nov 19, 2001

<< not sure what they mean by bandwidth as the numbers dont make any practical sense. but the crossovers control what frequencies are sent to the different sets of RCA preamp-outputs. Those would then connect to amplifiers if you had any. then the treble amplifier would connect to your tweeters, the bass to your subwoofer. if you are just using the cd player to power your speakers, then i dont think any of it would apply to your setup.

I can't imagine there not being anything about this in the owners manual. look on alpines website maybe?

jt
>>

Ok....I don't have any amplifier nor subwoofer......just cd player and the factory speaker....does that mean no matter which crossover level I choose won't matter on the sound? If so, i will agree with it, coz I can't hear any difference when choosing between different crossover level. Maybe it's just that my ears aren't golden enough :(

mattyrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2000

<< Crossover levels are where the system cuts off the frequency... For your bass section, choosing a crossover of 100 would mean anything above 100Hz would be attenuated by either -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, or -24dB. The steeper the slope, the faster frequencies above the crossover level drops. -24dB is the steepest in this case. As for bandwidth, I am assuming they are meaning attenuation slope (-6dB, -12dB, etc etc). Same idea applies to treble - except any frequency Below your crossover point gets attenuated.

The idea here is to play around with those settings and see how your system sounds like as you adjust the settings. Everyone has their own personal taste. You just have to change around the settings until you get the sound you like.

Personally, I keep my sub crossovered at 100/-12dB, and midranges/tweeters at 100Hz/-6dB.
>>

Pretty Much covered it....
Really depends on the size of your Speakers, what they're rated, how high your Subs will go, and how low your Mid/Hi's (or as we call it in Pro-Audio a Hi-Pack)or how they sound. A 2 way Crossover is gonna divide the Frequencies up into 2 signals, one for the Lows and one for the Mid/Hi's.

say you choose 60hz, anything lower than 60hz will play, higher htan 60 will be filtered
i believe it's low pass/hi pass, low pass 60 means filters anything above 60, hi pass 60 means filters anything below 60

Essentially, yes. It's isn't an exact cut-off, there is still some that is left over in each band, Bandwidth refers to this, how wide, or how many dB per octave slope (how many decibals per octave band they will cross into each other), and yes, bandwidth is a correct terminology, or 'Q' as it's also refered to. The higher the rating of the slope (24dB/Octave 36dB/Octave, etc....) the more effective it is at filtering out the frequencies on each side!

In a semi-related note - In a lot of our larger Concert rigs (I'm speaking of Pro-Audio, Live Sound PA's) we run the Hi-Packs Full range, and roll off anything under 45-50Hz, and run the sub-woofers from 75hz down. This creates an overlap in the bass frequencies, and help to de-couple bass frequencies off the ground and into the air a little more

Hope that clarifies it for you!