Spam Filter Blocking You From Commenting on Articles?

metafor

Apr 1, 2010
I tried to post the following in the iOS4 review:

"I've noticed that iOS4 on my 3GS shows a bit of UI choppiness especially with Pandora running in the background compared to iOS3. I guess the hardware is showing its age."

And I received the message "this comment appears to be spam".

Exactly what is your spam filter like and how can a comment like that be flagged? I've actually tried to post a couple of things, none of them I'd consider spam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Technology Fan

ed1112ward

Jun 26, 2010
I too just tried to post in the giveaway article of the ocz mouse pad and no matter what subject or body of text i wrote it always said it was spam. I'd really like to keep entering the contests but the site is just not letting me.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
It keeps telling me the same thing, preventing me from commenting on articles no matter what my comment says. VERY ANNOYING.

Can a mod please investigate and let us know what's up and how to resolve this?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The mods don't have anything to do with the main site and how it functions. You can try PMing JohnCampion. He's the web developer.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The mods don't have anything to do with the main site and how it functions. You can try PMing JohnCampion. He's the web developer.

^^^ THIS. Mr. Campion has now acquired the specific ability to help you with this, just pm him with the details of your case.

MrSpadge

Sep 29, 2003
I was about to post this replying to comments about the display quality in the U33Jc article.

"
"High contrast, high color LCD with an 800:1 contrast ratio!"

Make this "Superior IPS panel featuring angle independent high contrast blabla"

Seeing how PVA and IPS are slowly reappearing at the 240€ - 400€ price point in regular 23" and 24" displays there might still be some hope.

MrS"

Deleting the price didn't help.

MrS

MrSpadge

Sep 29, 2003
"There's no point comparing these to AMDs 6-cores, as these are kept in check nicely by Lynnfields. They trade blows at highly threaded workloads and excel at less-threaded ones. I'd take a i7 860 over a 1090T any day. The i7 970 is a solid offering for anyone who can and wants to afford it. That's not me, but so what.

BTW: using my typical Matlab workloads a Phenom I takes about twice as much time to finish as a C2Q, clock for clock.."

WTF is wrong with that?!

MrS

MrSpadge

Sep 29, 2003
Do you mean the "You can try PMing JohnCampion. He's the web developer."? I wasn't sure if it was serious due to the following comment. PM sent.

And some further insight: apparently the block is independet if what I actually write (tried to use the same sentence someone else posted prior to me). So it seems to be the nickname. Well..

MrS

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Do you mean the "You can try PMing JohnCampion. He's the web developer."? I wasn't sure if it was serious due to the following comment. PM sent.
MrS

1. You can try PMing JohnCampion. He's the web developer.
2. THIS. Mr. Campion has now acquired the specific ability to help you with this, just pm him with the details of your case.

I really don't know how to make it any more clear.

MrSpadge

Sep 29, 2003
Guess it was my fault then. Something confused me.. I think it was the "^^^" preceeding the 2nd comment. I mistook it for the "^^" people use to announce that they're going to write something stupid, so I thought it was meant to be sarcastic.

Anyhow, this thread has been sticky for a long time, I've sent the PM some time ago and I still can't post. Somehow this is ******* me off.

MrS

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
nope, still getting the spam message. Don't consider posting a comment important enough to PM though. I'll only go as far as complaining about it here and moving on.. :p

MarkHark

Sep 28, 2001
I have a no PM policy. This site does not even post who the Administrator is? I think they are hiding.

I always believed Anand was the Administrator. Perhaps the forum grew so much as to need a full-time admin or even several ones.

On topic, I've been experiencing this problem with the SPAM filter for just over a year. Absolutely everything I try to post gets filtered.
In hindsight, it appears to have started at about the same time I moved to a new home address, so it has occurred to me it might be something IP related (although I still use the same ISP, IP ranges might not be the same - who knows?)

OTOH, it could be username related, but I didn't bother creating a new account just for that. Has anyone tried it yet? ;)

I'll follow allisolm's advice and PM JohnCampion, perhaps he can give us an accurate answer.

MarkHark

Sep 28, 2001
Just PM'ed JohnCampion (twice), yet my SentItems folder shows empty. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn't the message be listed there?

EDIT: Dumb me :p I just saw there's an option for that in preferences

Last edited:

MarkHark

Sep 28, 2001
This week I successfully replied to a post. Did they lift the spam filter, or perhaps the problem has been solved?
Btw, haven't got a word from JohnCampion, to this day.