Space Station running out of food!

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
With Food Low, Space Crew Must Cut Back
By WARREN E. LEARY

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 - The two astronauts aboard the International Space Station have been asked to curb their calories because of a food shortage, NASA officials said Thursday.

Supplies of food and water on the station have fallen so low that if a Russian cargo vessel scheduled to arrive on Dec. 25 has a mishap or is significantly delayed, the astronauts, one American and one Russian, will have to abandon the station and return home months ahead of schedule, the NASA officials said.

The space station manager at NASA, William Gerstenmaier, said the situation was manageable if nothing unexpected occurred. But Mr. Gerstenmaier said juggling consumable items like food, water and even light bulbs had been a challenge since the space shuttles were grounded because of the Columbia disaster in 2003.

"This is not easy and requires lots of compromises," he said at a televised news conference at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The coming delivery by the robotic Progress cargo craft, loaded with extra food and water, "is very critical," he said, adding, "There's no question about that."

Plans are being put together for the crew to leave, Mr. Gerstenmaier said, in the event that the Progress is destroyed at launching or cannot dock with the station for some other reason.

At that point, he said, the station will have 7 to 14 days' worth of food, at current consumption rates, and the crew will begin shutting it down for a departure early next month on its Soyuz rescue craft.

The mission flight director, Annette Hasbrook, said the station could be safely left unstaffed for months, though it has been left empty so far only for spacewalks. Such an action would require shutting off some equipment, closing internal hatches and setting up the electronics so the station could be controlled from Earth. With the grounding of the American shuttle fleet since the Columbia disaster on Feb. 1, 2003, the station lost its major source of supplies.

Shuttles regularly flew to the outpost with tons of food, water, equipment and experiments, as well as new crew members. Without shuttles, the station has had to rely exclusively on Russian Soyuz craft to deliver exchange crews and Progress cargo ships, which can carry about two and a half tons of material, about a third of what a shuttle can deliver.

To conserve supplies, the 16 nations involved in the project agreed to reduce crews to two astronauts from three. The latest crew, the American commander, Dr. Leroy Chiao, and Col. Salizhan S. Sharipov of the Russian Air Force, the flight engineer, arrived in mid-October, expecting to stay for six months.

Mr. Gerstenmaier said officials liked to keep a 45-day reserve of food and water and had been close to that reserve several times while awaiting Progress resupply flights. Before the latest crew was sent to the station, managers realized that supplies would become low and planned for that eventuality, he said.

Dr. Sean Roden, the astronauts' flight surgeon, said the crew would not be asked to go on drastic diets. By changing meal plans, Dr. Roden said, managers want them to reduce their normal intake of 3,000 calories by 5 percent to 10 percent while maintaining regular exercise and work schedules.

No restrictions are being imposed yet on drinking water; water supplies are ample into mid-January, Dr. Roden said.

"They will still have the same nutritional balance they had before," he added.

Part of the current squeeze stems from delays by the Russians in the latest Progress delivery, which was changed from November to the end of this month, officials said, and some food had to be removed from a previous delivery because of the need to carry spare parts for a malfunctioning Russian oxygen generator.

American and Russian station managers learned last week that the current crew had started using reserve food weeks ahead of schedule. The astronauts were asked to conduct three food inventories, which confirmed that supplies were less than expected.

Mr. Gerstenmaier said a team had been assigned to look into tracking the food inventory at the station. Part of the problem is that food is stored in several places in packets, he said, and the crew cannot easily keep track of it.

The next Progress delivery will include 180 gallons of water and enough food to last two astronauts more than 100 days, NASA officials said. Also aboard will be 12 pounds of new science experiments, along with needed supplies like batteries, lighting and clothing.

Mr. Gerstenmaier said there would also be room aboard the tightly packed ship to include Christmas presents for the crew and "some fun things, as well."

Text

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
At least they don't have to go through space dumpsters looking for food that they should have but don't

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
At least they don't have to go through space dumpsters looking for food that they should have but don't

Is that some lame social commentary?

Beller0ph1

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2003
If the Russian supply module doesn't get off, they will have to abandon the space station. Send SpaceShipOne up to resupply them!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I don't even want to think about the delivery charge. I mean how much would you tip in a situation like this.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
"Eat your vegetables Timmy...there's starving people in space that would LOVE to have that!"

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: So

Actually I was intending on inciting some sort of armed religious sect junta over some protectorate or other valuable land mass, but I guess I failed...

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: So

Actually I was intending on inciting some sort of armed religious sect junta over some protectorate or other valuable land mass, but I guess I failed...

::gets out dictionary::...

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Nasa needs to come up with emergency supplements. Basically a highly condensed pill that provides ALL of your vitamins and minerals at the minimal levels, plus a complex of carbohydrates and amino acids and fatty acids. A single pill would replace a meal in times like this.

If the space station has water recycling capabilities then with the pills they are all set... and I thought space stations had greenhouse labs now...

DeMeo

Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Nasa needs to come up with emergency supplements. Basically a highly condensed pill that provides ALL of your vitamins and minerals at the minimal levels, plus a complex of carbohydrates and amino acids and fatty acids. A single pill would replace a meal in times like this.

If the space station has water recycling capabilities then with the pills they are all set... and I thought space stations had greenhouse labs now...

They just need to raise chickens up there. They need a chicken coop module. They can eat eggs and if it gets real bad they can just eat the chickens. Space chickens - how utterly cool would that be?
Hmmm... space pigs too! Space eggs and bacon.

I'm going to have my people contact NASA's people.....

WolverineGator

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
This is why the space station needs FARM ANIMALS like chickens (eat eggs + meat), hydroponic plants (food + chicken feed), and a tiger (just to keep everyone on their toes)!

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: DeMeo

They just need to raise chickens up there. They need a chicken coop module. They can eat eggs and if it gets real bad they can just eat the chickens. Space chickens - how utterly cool would that be?

LOL

You thought chickens made a mess in gravity, imagine the carnage if someone left the coop module door open. :Q

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Poor chickens would be floating around bonking into each other. Imagine the SMELL and MESS, plus feeding the chickens wouldn't be worth how much food you got out of them. Might as well eat the chicken feed instead.

If they want to produce their own food efficiently without taking up a lot of room and resources, then they should have enclosed containers of water growing Spirulina and other algaes. Direct sunlight into these chambers, and after the waste recyclers have cleaned the majority of waste from the water leaving trace amounts of ammonia/nitrogen and minerals, feed that into the algae chambers. Yummy.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
This wouldn't have happened if NASA wasn't a bunch of pansies and grounded the shuttles.

I'm glad they grounded the shuttles. Antiquated technology. Now we have a bish push for ventures like Space Ship One to make space flight more economical, safer, and efficient.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

What, you never taken a multivitamin before? They usually have most, if not all, the vitamins and minerals you need. Also you can take flax seed oil supplements for omega fatty acids.

Complex carbs in a pill form is just about physically and chemically impossible. The body creates 'energy' by breaking down chemical bonds. Basically all of those long chain carbs are potential energy and when your body uses them it turns into kinetic energy - so to speak. Therefore you can't concentrate a day's worth of carbs into a little pill; basic chemistry requires a large volume so there is a larege amount of potential energy.
If you had a pill, that would contain very little potential energy for your body simply do to the mass of it.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles

What, you never taken a multivitamin before? They usually have most, if not all, the vitamins and minerals you need. Also you can take flax seed oil supplements for omega fatty acids.

Complex carbs in a pill form is just about physically and chemically impossible. The body creates 'energy' by breaking down chemical bonds. Basically all of those long chain carbs are potential energy and when your body uses them it turns into kinetic energy - so to speak. Therefore you can't concentrate a day's worth of carbs into a little pill; basic chemistry requires a large volume so there is a larege amount of potential energy.
If you had a pill, that would contain very little potential energy for your body simply do to the mass of it.

Most multivitamins are mostly filler, unless it's bulked with calcium carbonate, which then makes the whole pill worthless.

I was thinking that the sugars in a SweetTart were enough to survive on for an extend period if taken 3 times a day, but you're right that won't be enough. So maybe small energy bars (twix size) with less focus on tase and more focus on nutrition?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Beller0ph1
If the Russian supply module doesn't get off, they will have to abandon the space station. Send SpaceShipOne up to resupply them!

LoL ... SS1 can't even come close to their altitude much less reach orbit.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Green eggs and ham... :Q

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles

Most multivitamins are mostly filler, unless it's bulked with calcium carbonate, which then makes the whole pill worthless.

I was thinking that the sugars in a SweetTart were enough to survive on for an extend period if taken 3 times a day, but you're right that won't be enough. So maybe small energy bars (twix size) with less focus on tase and more focus on nutrition?

Wow, my typing skills lacked with my last post.

Yeah, there are a lot of crappy multivitamins out on the market but you can get some good ones that actually do provide what they say they do. AST Multipro 32X is an excellent one.

They could eat sugary candies I suppose if worse gets down to worse; better than nothing. The best thing to stock, in my opinion, would be oatmeal. They got water so should be somewhat easy to mix and heat. I don't know how easy oatmeal is to make in zero-g so that may make a difference.
I think the best emergency type thing would be whey protein, oatmeal and vitamins. Sure it would get old consuming that stuff three or four times a day, but hence why that would be an emergency thing. Hell even stocking some meal-replacement bars seems like a good idea. Really should not replace too many meals with them, but it sure as heck beats starving. Also seems like meal replacement bars would take up very little space too. Again only as an emergency food source.