Space is big. Really big.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thus begins the X4 Foundations, a game so freakin huge and complex you'll probably snuff out your own children just for 10 more minutes in the cockpit.

X4-Foundations.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It kinda sucks.
Lots of bugs. Game crashes frequently.

Also like previous titles, the interface is kind of a pain. You gotta do a mix of mouse and joystick controls and it gets tedious. Spacewalking is very difficult and very lethal. buying and upgrading is a hassle, but at least you can auto sell trade goods across the galaxy.
I'm not liking it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ah, bummer. It certainly sounds like the controls are tedious--which is tough for me to get into. As someone who struggled with Elite Dangerous I don't think I'd be on board with this. I love space exploration but if it's confusing and/or not very accessible I get frustrated pretty quickly. That is perhaps why I like NMS so much; it's super chill and forgiving.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
After their last game ive learned you are much better off giving them a year or two to actually fix it and get it to a real finished state, they have a tendency to release game broken then fix them over the first year or so.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I really enjoyed X3 but that was some time ago and I'm not sure that I can really get into that kind of grind with this type of game again, assuming when/if all is patched, working, and decent content. Then again, I never really focused on the game, just distracted myself for 90 or 100 so hours setting up my space burgers and space hookers empire...and only across something like 3 systems, lol. I never really learned how to be efficient with that game, especially setting things up early.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I really enjoyed X3 but that was some time ago and I'm not sure that I can really get into that kind of grind with this type of game again, assuming when/if all is patched, working, and decent content. Then again, I never really focused on the game, just distracted myself for 90 or 100 so hours setting up my space burgers and space hookers empire...and only across something like 3 systems, lol. I never really learned how to be efficient with that game, especially setting things up early.

it is easy to distract yourself, sure. Nice little sandbox in each game. the problem is almost always the interface, or bugs. And the interface rarely gets any work done over the years.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Looks nice. I have tried to play one of the previous game but couldn't figure out how to play it probably because I am stupid. :)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Looks nice. I have tried to played one of the previous game but couldn't figure out how to play it probably because I am stupid. :)

It has the hardest/longest learning curve of any game that I have played. There aren't really any instructions, and official guide or anything, no real intro-tutorial, and the "story" that you never even have to bother with is just a passing suggestion--I think the first real quest for that is many many systems away from your start that it takes something like 5 or even 10 play hours to build up your ships to even get there.

You really have to spend a few hours with online fan guides (I remember one or two that were really good) to just figure out the basics and a nice flowchart of how to start your first trade network, find some of the random free ships, etc.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
X3 is one of my all time favorites. (I loved Reunion, Terran Conflict, and Albion Prelude, yes I am a sucker for buying that one 3 times!)

Rebirth is one of the blandest games I've ever played. (I picked it up for next to nothing after they fixed many of the bugs)

X4 Is more or less on my long list of "probably buy it if they fix the bugs during a steam sale" type games. Though I may be persuaded to pay full price after I better inform myself about it. (and after seeing if it's as easily modded and if it has excellent mods like X3)

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Really liked X3, but my biggest complaint was that you never really had a long term impact on the universe. If this one has a more dynamic universe then I am all in, eventually. Sales have broken me...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ah, bummer. It certainly sounds like the controls are tedious--which is tough for me to get into. As someone who struggled with Elite Dangerous I don't think I'd be on board with this. I love space exploration but if it's confusing and/or not very accessible I get frustrated pretty quickly. That is perhaps why I like NMS so much; it's super chill and forgiving.

This is why I wish Microsoft would make another Freelancer. Fairly simple control scheme, a wide variety of Gameplay options.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is why I wish Microsoft would make another Freelancer. Fairly simple control scheme, a wide variety of Gameplay options.

Freelancer is probably the best video game that never got a sequel.

If you are bored and looking for fun, Rebel Galaxy isnt too bad. But it will get tedious and tiresome after a while. You need to play in short bursts and focus on the main quest.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290300/Rebel_Galaxy/