space heater plug ... getting hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
1500w space heaters are great faulty wiring detectors. If there's a fault somewhere, it will probably come up while the heater is on. Two or three on the same circuit are also good to see if the house uses FPE Stab Lok breakers. :biggrin:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
1500w space heaters are great faulty wiring detectors. If there's a fault somewhere, it will probably come up while the heater is on. Two or three on the same circuit are also good to see if the house uses FPE Stab Lok breakers. :biggrin:

I find tossing the heater in the bathtub easier...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
OK, first off, this is a necro. But since we are still making intelligent responses I will contribute.

The wattage is not the issue. The main safety feature is how well designed the heater is.

I had one of those cheapo coil spring units and it almost burned the house down.

uVhyqN5.jpg

That style.

Those things are deathtraps, and should be outlawed. They arent safe even on the low setting.

Nowadays I prefer a ceramic heater, or oil. Much safer. Less likely to burn the house down, even at 1500 watts.

If it's UL listed, it has passed some pretty rigorous testing and is unlikely to be any sort of "death trap".

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I watched one break, and spark, and flare.

Dont recall if it was UL certified. Not everything at Walmart is.