Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum KT333 (Retail/New) for $49.99 @ the geeks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mltsao

Banned
Jan 8, 2001
Recieved the motherboard today. Its really worth it for the price, even though it doesnt support barton or DDR400. The features alone are overwhelming. It comes with 6.1 onboard sound, onboard LAN, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 3x USB 2.0 mobo headers and a front USB box with compactflash/smartmedia reader.

The only problem i have is that i get a beep from the mobo periodically... like every 3-4 minutes. Everything seems to work fine though.

jalapenonc

Apr 19, 2002

I am installing the board now. In the manual, it says "please use the provided spacer support on this screw hole."

Where is spacer?? I did not get the spacer. Anyone got it? Do I have an open box item??
in the manual, it says one heat sink compound included as well. I can not find it in the box.
hmmm...

Mltsao

Banned
Jan 8, 2001
No spacer comes with the mobo, the spacers come with the case if there are any. I didnt use any spacers and i rarely do for any motherboard. Just be careful when you put it in.

Delbert

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Mltsao
No spacer comes with the mobo, the spacers come with the case if there are any. I didnt use any spacers and i rarely do for any motherboard. Just be careful when you put it in.

How do you keep all the solder points from shorting out? How do you get your brackets to seat in their slots?

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had no trouble installing the board last night. Except it wouldn't post with my XP 2400, I used a Athlon 1200, flashed the bios to the latest, cleared the bios, then it posted as a XP 1800, went into bios changed from a 100 to a 133 mhz bus, then it ran fine at 2400. The system posted the higest score I ever got from PCpitstop for download speed. Is it the ethernet? Can that really make the difference? I have 2 peices of pc2100 256meg ddr, a XP 2400+, a Geforce 2 GTS Pro with 32 megs sgram, and a Maxtor 60 gig 7200 rpm drive, running win ME.

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
And I just overclocked the XP 2400 to 2600 by changing the multiplier to 16 x 133, works great.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
"And I just overclocked the XP 2400 to 2600 by changing the multiplier to 16 x 133, works great."

So the latest Bios of this board allows you to change the multiplier up to 16? Is this true? What other new tweaks are now available?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: jalapenonc
I am installing the board now. In the manual, it says "please use the provided spacer support on this screw hole."

Where is spacer?? I did not get the spacer. Anyone got it? Do I have an open box item??
in the manual, it says one heat sink compound included as well. I can not find it in the box.
hmmm...
On page 11 of the manual it states "To avoid shorting the motherboard to the case, please use the provided spacer support on this screw hole...". The diagram points to the motherboard mounting hole above the DIMM3 RAM slot. You should have two plastic motherboard standoffs/posts in a little plastic bag taped to the bag containing the IDE cables. They will look similar to __THESE__ except they don't have the little nubs on the bottom.

The heat sink compound was stuck to the the anti-static bag on the bottom of my motherboard. Apparently the little container was punctured by the motherboad and it leaked onto the anti-static bag which made it stick to the bottom.

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: conehead433
"And I just overclocked the XP 2400 to 2600 by changing the multiplier to 16 x 133, works great."

So the latest Bios of this board allows you to change the multiplier up to 16? Is this true? What other new tweaks are now available?

CPU multiplier goes to 24 times!!

TRUMPHENT

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
My Dragon Ultra Platinum should arrive in a couple days. Now, Newegg has started selling these.

AMD 45WMOBILEAthlon XP 1700+, 1.47GHz /266MHz BUS 256K, AXMH1700FHQ3C

and this,

AMD 45W MOBILE Athlon XP 1900+, 1.6GHz /266MHz BUS 256K,AXMH1900FLQ3C

Soyo says the latest BIOS flash is to support "AMD Low Power CPU". Is this what they are talking about?

Does anyone know what they are? Are they "B"'s? :confused:

I was glad to hear that the multiplier goes to 24X. Thanks!

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
sounds like I have a refurbed.:-((
No heatsink compound, no spacer. Not that I care those stuff.
Check your MB box thoroughly. Maybe they came loose and are under the egg carton type tray.

jalapenonc

Apr 19, 2002
my worst nightmare come true:-((
I think I got a refurb (damaged) item instead of the new one I supposed to get. The board will post maybe 1 out of 10 times. I have a XP 1700, and kingston 2100DDR am. Enlight 360W PS.
I was think the MB were picky at PS. then I tried my Thermaltake purepower 420. won't work.

Da*n, this should be my last time deal with Geeks.

BTW, my board came with BIOS version 2aa7 ( on the rare incident I actally has video signal I found it), which is the most recent one.

I am very supprised. What is the bios verion you guys get? I think someone returned the board I got after flash to the most recent bios.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
"CPU multiplier goes to 24 times!!"

Hey Bigdude, can you tell me what Bios version you are running. Thanks

AWEstun

Banned
Aug 2, 2002
my worst nightmare come true:-((
I think I got a refurb (damaged) item instead of the new one I supposed to get. The board will post maybe 1 out of 10 times. I have a XP 1700, and kingston 2100DDR am. Enlight 360W PS.
I was think the MB were picky at PS. then I tried my Thermaltake purepower 420. won't work.

Da*n, this should be my last time deal with Geeks.

BTW, my board came with BIOS version 2aa7 ( on the rare incident I actally has video signal I found it), which is the most recent one.

I am very supprised. What is the bios verion you guys get? I think someone returned the board I got after flash to the most recent bios.

Might be that cheapo Kingston memory...

shelbY

jalapenonc

Apr 19, 2002
Anyone care to tell me what is the default BIOS version on the board they received?
Mine is 2aa7, which is very suspious. I mean my board has to be flashed by someone else.

TRUMPHENT

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Damn! Soyo wasn't kidding when they posted this:

kxbp2aa7.exe
Bios Revision 2AA7 for the SY-KT333 DRAGON Ultra (Platinum Edition)

NOTE: Please update this bios only if you are using an AMD Low Power CPU. If you are not using type of cpu, please Do not update this bios as it will cause instability to your system.
-------------

You could try to grab 2AA6 and flash that.

On the bright side, Newegg is now selling those AMD Low Power CPU's.:D

TRUMPHENT

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
I installed my Soyo DUPE last night. I got the perfect package, nothing missing and looked and smelled fresh from the factory. The BIOS was the same version 2AA7.

I cleverly used my unlocked and OC'd Duron 800 to flash to the previous BIOS. The board ran fine with the Duron and Bios 2AA7 except for weird CDROM drive behavior. After flashing to the right BIOS everything behaves. Now I have to find out if that 2AA7 was meant for the Mobile Athlon XP's that Newegg is selling.

I bet all the boards in this sale batch were flashed the same which is why the sale. :cool:

The KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum has a total of 8 USB ports. I like that.