Southwest U.S. Heat Dome

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I have had a Davis Pro II weather station at my house since early 2005. All the data is captured on a dedicated computer, and I just checked the database. All-time high was 98.8 °F on June 30, 2012.

The forecast high for Monday and Tuesday when the heat moves east is 90 °F. Guess we'll turn the A/C then for the first time this year.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
LOL apparently before this year we hadn't had three 100 degree days in a row in early June (eg before June 10th) since 1948 in San Antonio. This year we had six in a row leading up to June 10th. Ugh 106 forecast today.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Looks like this heat dome has reached the southeast. Atlanta is topping 90 today and the high is forecast to stay above 90 for at least 10 days.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Horse-fly follies! :eek: (Paducah Sun)

female-black-horse-fly.jpg

OMG I hate those things! Deer-flies too!
It amazing nobody talks about the horrible bug problem in the upper mid west during the spring and summer. You'd think only Florida has a problem with bugs. I never want to visit Minnesota in the summer again. Hats are a must.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Isn't that pretty normal for "Hotlanta?"
Hotlanta is actually on a ridge, almost 1000ft, which normally moderates the hideous heat of the southeast. The most beautiful city in the spring time due to all of the azaleas and dogwoods. Growing up in a town just across the Potomac river from DC, melting during the summer before AC was a nightmare. The heatwave of 66, we finally got AC.

Reactions: dank69

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It amazing nobody talks about the horrible bug problem in the upper mid west during the spring and summer. You'd think only Florida has a problem with bugs. I never want to visit Minnesota in the summer again. Hats are a must.

Anyone who has made the tragic mistake of going camping in the Adirondacks (upstate NY) during Black-fly season can attest that the Northeast is far from immune to bug-problems as well!

Right here in Connecticut the Deer-flies can be insane in the woods during summer-time... and based on personal experience they attack in clouds, are unperturbed by 98% DEET AND they're a LOT faster then anyone on a mountain-bike!

:oops:

342_chrysops_caecutiens-s.jpg

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
In Maine you kan experience many løveli lakes, the wøndërful telephøne system, and mäni interesting furry animals - including the majestik møøse fly.

Mynd you, møøse fly bites kan be pretti nasti ...

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It's usually around 85+ from the end of May to the middle/end of September. And muggy.

Damn, only been to Atlanta once, while driving back to Texas from Cooperstown when Nolan Ryan got inducted, and it was Texas level hot, felt easily over 100 that day.

Reactions: nickqt

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
In Maine you kan experience many løveli lakes, the wøndërful telephøne system, and mäni interesting furry animals - including the majestik møøse fly.

Mynd you, møøse fly bites kan be pretti nasti ...

A møøse once bit my sister.
So Texas broke the record for highest energy demand today at over 75000MW, as expected. Was a disgusting 105 today in San Antonio.
My wife drove out to San Marcos to drop of our daughter at camp. Hit 109 according to the car. It was so hot the Tesla slowed down its Super Charging.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Anyone who has made the tragic mistake of going camping in the Adirondacks (upstate NY) during Black-fly season can attest that the Northeast is far from immune to bug-problems as well!

Right here in Connecticut the Deer-flies can be insane in the woods during summer-time... and based on personal experience they attack in clouds, are unperturbed by 98% DEET AND they're a LOT faster then anyone on a mountain-bike!

:oops:

342_chrysops_caecutiens-s.jpg

In Western MA, I get swarmed by skeeters, those annoying little gnats, and always on the lookout for wasps, hornets, etc....

Reactions: Captante

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Remember when it was just fluoride in the water people worried about? Now it's, Is there water? And if so, how many human bodies have been dissolved in it?

Reactions: Lezunto

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Seriously though, got deer/moosefly problems? Throw on a ball cap, stick a piece of clear tape sticky side out on the back of your head. Lil bastards land on it like clockwork, and you get free chum for the fish.

Blackflies, depends. Early spring? Don't go outside. When they ease up, get a bug spray made with cedar oil, wear a hat you've saturated with pyrethrin. Eat more garlic, less sugar. I know oldtimers who swear by dousing themselves with straight DEET and smoking a cigar. No thanks.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Eh, I've experienced 115+ for extended periods in Tucson ... I'd take that over some other areas with 90+ and high humidity. The latter is like living in soup.
Completely agree. 110+ in the mojave is light years better than 90+ in manhattan/east coast.

Was in Charleston over 4th of july weekend long time ago and just walking outside was like being hit in the face with a brick.