Southwest U.S. Heat Dome

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Fuck off. Don’t ever reply to me, POS.

You do know overreactions are a sign of emotional immaturity, correct? The iRONy is that your parents probably dont even know you are posting on the internet. :openmouth:

You can have the last word, since I put you on ignore until you grow up.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Must be the heat dome. :(

It’s Not Just You: Extreme Heat Is Making All of Us Really Cranky (Self.com)

And in some cases, downright angry.

heatwave-illo.jpg

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Boston set a record high (for Aug 8th*) of 98 yesterday in what is one of the hottest if not the hottest summer on record.

As Boston heat records fall, scientists see climate change’s fingerprints - The Boston Globe

....the hottest stretch of 21 days in the 151-year record for Boston, during which time the average high temperature was 90.3 degrees. And as of Tuesday, the city had seen 26 days above 80 degrees, the longest run of those temperatures on record.

Dew point has been in the high 60s to mid 70s the entire time, this is while the entire state is in a moderate to severe drought. Nothing like having the sweat pour off while the I'm crunching across my dead brown lawn. Oh and last year....record amount of rainfall in July.

* would that be described as a daily record?..not sure how to put that

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So now you expect God and Joe Biden to fix the results of the policies you voted for? Is this what personal responsibility looks like?

If man cannot admit his mistakes he is doomed to a desert planet. Would you rather he did not?

Personally I have long supported a climate friendly government policy. There will obviously never be agreement on what needs to be done in all things.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It's weird, so far our August in San Antonio has been way cooler than our June was, we're only going a couple of degrees over historical averages for the last almost week or so whereas June was nonstop 98-106 and July was nonstop 100-109. August is usually the hottest month here and by far, but the forecast looks pretty decent until the middle of the month at least and we have been having a lot of 97 and 98 days lately. Supposed to be 101 today but then 96-97 for the next couple of days.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
As I sit here at 5400 feet of altitude in Custer SD the temp is still 78 degrees at 9:30 PM.

Coincidentally this article popped up on my news feed.

Heat Islands...

I think the biggest problems are (ranked in order):

1) Overpopulation
2) which leads to Over Development. New suburbs constantly being created.
3) which means more roads, concrete, etc, ie. heat islands, which exacerbate the amount of heat
4) and also means more fuel burned to get all these people to work, bring them food and keep their Walmarts full.
5) not to mention extracting the resources necessary to keep up with 8 fucking billion people

Unless we can find a way to live in more sustainable ways with less energy use or at least use more renewable energy, reduce the amount of pollution we create, not to mention our massive piles of garbage streams, humans are doomed.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Heat Islands...

1) Overpopulation
3) which means more roads, concrete, etc, ie. heat islands, which exacerbate the amount of heat
4) and also means more fuel burned to get all these people to work, bring them food and keep their Walmarts full.
5) not to mention extracting the resources necessary to keep up with 8 fucking billion people

Unless we can find a way to live in more sustainable ways with less energy use or at least use more renewable energy, reduce the amount of pollution we create, not to mention our massive piles of garbage streams, humans are doomed.

The total amount of energy the world uses is about 5.8x10^20 joules. Basically all of that becomes heat.

The oceans have gained about 3.7x10^23 joules over the last 51 years or so. That equals an average of 7.25x10^21 joules per year.

That’s 12.5 times more energy from climate change than our usage.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Heat Islands...

1) Overpopulation

🎆🎆🎆Felix a Republican now believes in Climate Change. Good work Felix, you are going on the right path. 🎆🎆🎆

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You do know overreactions are a sign of emotional immaturity, correct? The iRONy is that your parents probably dont even know you are posting on the internet. :openmouth:

You can have the last word, since I put you on ignore until you grow up.

How very "Truth" of you ...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For sure heat islands are a thing. But where I'm at right now it's a population of 1900 people, in the middle of a national park/state forest. Very much not a heat island. Same for much of the PNW that got scorched last year and very rural parts of Canada had close to 400 heat related deaths over a couple day stretch.

Now heat islands are certainly an issue. But that's an urban one. And largely due to planning and zoning. And it disproportionately affects low income families. Low income families are forced to live in areas that don't have parks, tree canopies, ect. Things that reduce the heat retention over night. When the heat dome hit Portland last year, the parts of town that had some of the highest income were 20 degrees lower than the poorest.

That's a similar, but different issue. They are intertwined for sure. But heat islands aren't what is scorching mass sections of our country.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
🎆🎆🎆Felix a Republican now believes in Climate Change. Good work Felix, you are going on the right path. 🎆🎆🎆

If there is anything that this summer has shown us is that more parts of the country are in water crises mode.

Have you been watching the videos on YouTube regarding Lake Mead? That's not all - many bodies of fresh water have shrunken worldwide as the exopential growith of mankind put demands on those sources that far exceed supply. :(

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If there is anything that this summer has shown us is that more parts of the country are in water crises mode.

Have you been watching the videos on YouTube regarding Lake Mead? That's not all - many bodies of fresh water have shrunken worldwide as the exopential growith of mankind put demands on those sources that far exceed supply. :(
Still looking at it the wrong way. If every human on the planet died today, this would still be happening, and would still get worse for another ~80 years or so, at which point the situation would plateau.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I hate putting people on ignore and take them off eventually... except those that are there not to converse but to put up a wall faced with just insults and no ideas.

"Ignore" on AT only serves to make threads where anyone you're "ignoring" posts a lot difficult/impossible to follow without viewing all comments anyway.

Thus I stopped using it. :(

The person you put on "ignore" usually doesn't even notice unless you make a point of telling them and all it does it cause the "ignorer" to miss out on content.