South Korea suspends deployment of THAAD system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Not really. Only some of the NK artillery has the range to reach Seoul, and Seoul is a very huge city, there is no way that NK can level that city. Its a subject that I had also been mistaken on until a serving officer with expertise in the field corrected me.

Not only that but any attempt to cross the DMZ in large numbers wouldn't end well. NK could cause serious damage but defeating SK? No, and there's the aftermath. China wouldn't say boo to anything short of a nuke. Kim would wind up in a hole like Saddam.

No one would leave the field happy, assuming they lived.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I say call up North Korea and tell them the war is over. The borders stay as they are. Pull out American troops and send them home. South Korea is a prosperous country. They have some pretty slick robotic sentries that can be deployed along the border if they are not already. This is not 1954 and South Korea does not need to have the U.S. there as a deterrent.

Yeah, I mean, that's absolutely what we should do. Why do you think that doesn't happen?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I say call up North Korea and tell them the war is over. The borders stay as they are. Pull out American troops and send them home. South Korea is a prosperous country. ...This is not 1954 and South Korea does not need to have the U.S. there as a deterrent.

I checked your math and looks like it works out.
I agree

Just gotta make sure we secure the weapons deals with SK while we transition out. They will probably go on a shopping spree as we exit stage left.

Last edited: