South Dakota Murderer sentenced to only 100 days - 10hrs per day can be spent outside doing community service

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
:disgust:

LATimes pass/user = AnandTech AnandTech

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-012204janklow_lat,1,2249229.story?

Times Staff and Wire Reports
Bill Janklow, a South Dakota congressman convicted of manslaughter and speeding in the death of a motorcyclist last summer, was sentenced today to 100 days in jail.

Judge Rodney Steele imposed the sentence at a court hearing in Janklow's boyhood home of Flandreau.

After 30 days behind bars, Janklow will be allowed to leave jail during the day for up to 10 hours to perform community service. After serving his term, Janklow will be on probation for three years, during which he will not be allowed to drive.

More at url.

The judge fined Janklow $5,400 and ordered him to pay $50 a day for the cost of his 100 days in jail, for another $5,000. Janklow was ordered to report to the county jail in Sioux Falls on Feb. 7.

*******NO Compensation to the Victims Family??????????????

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
rolleye.gif
Murder!= second-degree Manslaughter

Oh, and believe you me - the "family" which you are so concerned about has civil recourse - they should pursue that if they wish to get "compensation".

Oh wait - If you would read your link - "The family of the motorcyclist, Randy Scott, is suing Janklow for unspecified damages." Hmmm...

CkG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
rolleye.gif

Oh, and believe you me - the "family" which you are so concerned about has civil recourse - they should pursue that if they wish to get "compensation".

Oh wait - If you would read your link - "The family of the motorcyclist, Randy Scott, is suing Janklow for unspecified damages." Hmmm...

CkG

Sound like you are defending his actions... and have no care for the family he destroyed??

So.. his sentence length is acceptable to you.. is that because he was a Republican.. you guys need to stick together, right?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
He kills an innocent man and gets a slap on the wrist while a Georgia kid has sex with a girl only a couple of years younger and he gets 10 years with no chance of parole less than the mandatory 10 years.
rolleye.gif

The kid has already served more than 100 days in jail.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dahunan
rolleye.gif

CkG

Sound like you are defending his actions... and have no care for the family he destroyed??

So.. his sentence length is acceptable to you.. is that because he was a Republican.. you guys need to stick together, right?

You haven't the slightest clue - but nice try.

Now back to your thread title.;) Oh and did you now see that last line?;)

Janklow was sent through the system - what do you want me to say? If he got a fair trial - that's as much as we can hope for these days with our court system the way it is. No, I didn't say his sentence length was acceptable, so don't even try to put those words and spin in my mouth.

CkG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
rolleye.gif

CkG

You haven't the slightest clue - but nice try.

Now back to your thread title.;) Oh and did you now see that last line?;)

Janklow was sent through the system - what do you want me to say? If he got a fair trial - that's as much as we can hope for these days with our court system the way it is. No, I didn't say his sentence length was acceptable, so don't even try to put those words and spin in my mouth.

CkG

Listen.. he IS A MURDERER... I understand he was convicted of manslaughter... 2nd degree was too friendly...

Why is he a murderer? He has been driving like this his whole life and IS AN ALCOHOLIC... He has been given speeding tickets and drunk driving tickets and continued to thik he was above the law.. WELL.. his PARTNERS in SD gave him a sentence that was NOWHERE near what a common citizen would have received.

Check this out
Fort Thompson Agency Tribal Chairman Robert Philbrick's Affidavit alleging Indecent Exposure, Public Inebriation, and Driving under the Influence, and Assaulting an Officer by William Janklow
STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA)
) SS.AFFIDAVIT
COUNTY OF HUGHES)

ROBERT G. PHILBRICK, being first duly sworn on his oath, deposes and states as follows:

That during the month of February, 1973, William Janklow, now Republican candidate for Attorney General, was driving down a road near or in Fort Thompson. At the time, I was Tribal Chairman of the Fort Thompson Indian Agency. It was my policy to require the Police Department to give me reports on all arrests made.

This affiant was advised that William Janklow had been arrested for Drunk Driving. This affiant states that I further investigated this matter to find out the true facts about this matter.

This affiant was advised that William Janklow was driving all over the road, and was driving mostly on the wrong side of the road, which caused the police officer to stop the car.

This affiant was then advised that William Janklow had started to fight with the police officer, and William Janklow started to swear and cuss the police officer and stated:

"No son of a bitch Indian can arrest me as no S. O. B. has jurisdiction over me".
Further, this affiant was advised that William Jankow did not have his pants on, and in fact, was nude from the waist down. William Janklow, when asked, where his pants, socks, shoes and underwear were, William Janklow did not know.

Further, William Janklow continued to swear and cuss, continued to fight with the officer, and thus, this officer had to call for help, to get Janklow arrested and placed in the drunk section of the Fort Thompson jail.

Further, this affiant states that William Janklow tried to outrun the police car and drove all over the highway in an attempt to evade arrest.

This affiant was further advised that William Janklow was so drunk that it was difficult for Janklow to walk, or in fact even stand up.

The next morning William Janklow was released from the drunk tank, and someone brought down some shoes, socks, underwear and pants, so he could walk out of jail completely dressed.

This affiant agrees to allow this sworn statement to be used for any press release relating to William Janklow and all these facts are true, as this affiant was Tribal Chairman at Fort Thompson when Janklow was arrested for drunk driving, disorderly conduct, assaulting an officer, and indecent exposure.

Dated this 18th day of October, 1974.

Robert G. Philbrick (signature)

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 18th day of October, 1974.
http://www.dlncoalition.org/dln_issues/janklowphilbrick1.htm

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Listen.. he IS A MURDERER... I understand he was convicted of manslaughter... 2nd degree was too friendly...

Why is he a murderer? He has been driving like this his whole life and IS AN ALCOHOLIC... He has been given speeding tickets and drunk driving tickets and continued to thik he was above the law.. WELL.. his PARTNERS in SD gave him a sentence that was NOWHERE near what a common citizen would have received.

That's a nice opinion(thinking he is a murderer) but he was tried and convicted of second-degree manslaughter.
Also - your insinuation that he got less than what a "common citizen" would have received is pure BS.
I know for a FACT that "common people" have received sentences near what Janklow did.

Now why exactly do you take issue with Janklow's situation?

CkG

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Cad, received similar sentences? (Outright prolonged laughter here.) As the pigs said in Animal Farm, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Justice in the current systems sucks so much I'd like to tear the system down. Unfortunately, no system has ever had better justice than we have.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

CkG

I really really dislike Drunk Drivers .. I have heard that he has been convicted several times for drunk driving. He has been convicted many times for speeding. He is a politician... Most all Politicians abuse the power we entrust them with and begin to use it to their own advantage instead of for the people who voted them in.

My question is... Say that your friend has been convicted twice for speeding and twice for drunk driving... all separate incidents... then he is speeding again and RUNS a stop sign **The same one he runs all the time... AT 70mph... BUT this time He killed someone.......

Was it only manslaughter or was it murder? He had been told (via convictions) several times to stop driving that way..... and probably got away with it several times because he has buddies in the police force.. (wasn't he a politician there for many many years?

What if the guy that died was your Brother? Still just a manslaughter 2 conviction?

**eddit for spelling errors :eek:

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Manslaughter is an appropriate charge but even killing someone unintentionally (while behaving in a dangerous manner) should be worth at least a year. I hope the cyclist's family puts Janklow in the poor house . . . plus takes a good portion of his government pension.

I agree with CAD that your title is inaccurate . . . but arguably the most important issue should be the egregious miscarriage of justice.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Whitling
Cad, received similar sentences? (Outright prolonged laughter here.) As the pigs said in Animal Farm, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Justice in the current systems sucks so much I'd like to tear the system down. Unfortunately, no system has ever had better justice than we have.

Yes - similar sentences for similar incidents.

Homicide by Negligent Operation/Vehicle - (2 counts).
Both reduced to - Reckless Driving-Cause Bodily Harm (2 counts) - with "Guilty / No Contest" pleas

Sentence= 3 years Probation, 750 hours of community service, and 30 days jail - each count. Plus court assesments($)

Now are you still laughing? I'm not.

CkG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
my title is innacurate on purpose I am not a news agency.. I can express my opinion... I think he is a murderer.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Both reduced to - Reckless Driving-Cause Bodily Harm (2 counts) - with "Guilty / No Contest" pleas

Sentence= 3 years Probation, 750 hours of community service, and 30 days jail - each count. Plus court assesments($)

CkG

What happened to the other party?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

What happened to the other party?

Homicide by Negligent Operation/Vehicle - what do you think happened?
rolleye.gif
The only reason the charges were reduced is because his lawyer was good enough to strike a deal with the DA who wanted to make an "example" out of him. I have no doubt that taking that to trial would have resulted in a worse sentence for the accused.

Now as to your little "What if the guy that died was your Brother? Still just a manslaughter 2 conviction?" question. What would your reply be to this? -
Accused/sentenced= good freind of mine.
Count #1 was from the driver of the other vehicle
Count #2 was from the passenger of the car driven by the accused - who was also a very good freind of mine.
So yeah - I understand loss. I understand what those people are going through, infact - I was supposed to be with both of them that day in that vehicle. I should/could be dead. So yes - I take issue with ANY questioning of my motives, attitude, or "feelings".

/mini tangent:D

Oh, and the other guy's family sued for a nice chunk of change too.

Back to the regularly scheduled bickering.

CkG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Thank you for the mini-tangent - ;)

[regularly scheduled bickering]

Homicide = The killing of one person by another.

Murderer - A person who unlawfully kills another.

Oh well... I am of the same opinion still.

I wonder how many drinks he has had since he killed that guy? (I was raised by alcoholics - I never met a relative who wasn't a heavy drinker :(

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

That's a nice opinion(thinking he is a murderer) but he was tried and convicted of second-degree manslaughter.
Also - your insinuation that he got less than what a "common citizen" would have received is pure BS.
I know for a FACT that "common people" have received sentences near what Janklow did.

CkG

Hey if he ain't a murder then OJ didn't kill anyone.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well, now the Republicans can give Teddy Kennedy a break. They have been bring up his little escapade for years. Maybe the conservatives here will start defending him as well. Right.