South Carolina - highest murder rate in three decades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Here are the 10 states with the highest gun deaths per capita. More representative of the overall gun death rates in the country. Anyone notice something???

1. Alaska - 24.5 per 100k people
  2. Alabama - 22.9 per 100k people
  3. Montana - 22.5 per 100k people
  4. Louisiana - 21.7 per 100k people
  5. Mississippi - 21.5 per 100k people
  6. Missouri - 21.5 per 100k people
  7. Arkansas - 20.3 per 100k people
  8. Wyoming - 18.8 per 100k people
  9. West Virginia - 18.6 per 100k people
  10. New Mexico - 18.5 per 100k people
Here are the 10 states with the highest murder rate:

1. Mississippi - 20.50 per 100k
  2. Louisiana - 19.90 per 100k
  3. Alabama - 14.20 per 100k
  4. Missouri - 14 per 100k
  5. Arkansas - 13 per 100k
  6. South Carolina - 12.70 per 100k
  7. Tennessee - 11.50 per 100k
  8. Maryland - 11.40 per 100k
  9. Illinois - 11.20 per 100k
  10. New Mexico - 10.80 per 100k

good comparison, 6/10 on both lists.

likely suicides make up the difference.

Funny how easy to access killing machines are the tool of choice.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
here is the thing with statistics, total homicides in St Louis in 2020 was 267, total for NYC in 2020 was 1,531. which one had more killings? NYC, which one had the higher rate per 100,000 people? St Louis did. subjective on which one is safer. do you go by the per 100,000 rate or total number?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and iRONic

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
here is the thing with statistics, total homicides in St Louis in 2020 was 267, total for NYC in 2020 was 1,531. which one had more killings? NYC, which one had the higher rate per 100,000 people? St Louis did. subjective on which one is safer. do you go by the per 100,000 rate or total number?
The thread is about states not cities. Also the only way to compare two states is by capita.

Reactions: Pohemi

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
You go by the rate, unless you failed basic statistics.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It was a weekday evening, followed by a morning.

How else? Take some street parking away and put big collection bins in. Then buy trucks that can be operated by one for automated collection. Use efficiencies gained to collect trash more often.
Where in the city?
I actually would like to know.

Dec 10, 2005
I work in midtown.
Do you recall where in midtown (Streets?). I'll check it out next time I'm in the office.
It was just on my walk from Penn up 8th Ave to 40th St. It really was the combination of trash bags because it was probably the night before trash day and those abominable sidewalk sheds that did it.

I also just remember trash bags all over when I lived in Stuy Town and walked to work for a year, and then the few years after when I lived in Astoria. Just terrible trash management for the love of street parking.

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
Do people in NYC literally leave trash bags on the sidewalk instead of in trash cans?
I'm not sure if you have any actual big buildings by you. But when you have 60 unit buildings side by side by side, you ain't fitting them in trash cans. Hopefully one day they have massive dumpsters.

But if you've never been to a city like new York in the US, the rest look like little villages.

Plus with all the crime, it takes too long to bring out trash cans. Everywhere is shooting and anarchy. You gotta move fast. Please don't visit
I do understand that your response is satire hopefully but can anyone living in NYC confirm trash bags being left on the sidewalk? This is a rat/human health problem if so.
There are no trash bags left on San Francisco streets and I can guarantee you population density is similar to NY.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I do understand that your response is satire hopefully but can anyone living in NYC confirm trash bags being left on the sidewalk? This is a rat/human health problem if so.
There are no trash bags left on San Francisco streets.
have you not been to NYC? it was not built with centralized trash collection. shit is literally just left on the sidewalk for sanitation dept workers to come by and manually pick up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
have you not been to NYC? it was not built with centralized trash collection. shit is literally just left on the sidewalk for sanitation dept workers to come by and manually pick up.

I haven't. This situation is inexcusable. This is a public health problem.
This is a wealthy city. There is no excuse for this.
That being said, i guess it's not my problem being on the left coast.
NY'ers should demand better.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are no trash bags left on San Francisco streets and I can guarantee you population density is similar to NY.
Tell me you've never been to New York without telling me.

San Francisco is a beautiful city, but density wise it's a pittance compared to the apple. I've been there three times. It was yet another city I went to and said wait where is the city. Because intensity and density wise most other cities are nothing compared to New York. Just Chicago has some, otherwise you need to go overseas

I guess I wasn't being very sarcastic.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It was just on my walk from Penn up 8th Ave to 40th St. It really was the combination of trash bags because it was probably the night before trash day and those abominable sidewalk sheds that did it.

I also just remember trash bags all over when I lived in Stuy Town and walked to work for a year, and then the few years after when I lived in Astoria. Just terrible trash management for the love of street parking.

8th ave between penn and 40th is shitsville. I blame the Port authority.
However that doesn't reflect on the rest of Manhattan. It's only a short stretch.

Dec 10, 2005
8th ave between penn and 40th is shitsville. I blame the Port authority.
However that doesn't reflect on the rest of Manhattan. It's only a short stretch.
That may be a particularly bad stretch, but my time living in NYC says that it wasn't unusual to have the garbage bags piled up on the sidewalk as they awaited collection.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
You go by the rate, unless you failed basic statistics.
nope, did not fail statistics in college, actually got quite a high grade. You can make statistics support or go against any thing you want. going by per capita, you are saying that NYC has less homicides. going by the amount NYC has more homicides. 1,531 deaths is definitely worse than 267, but when you change it to deaths per capita, 1,531 isnt bad at all, its actually quite good compared to St Louis. that, is how you make statistics support your arguments.

As far as states, it doesnt surprise me the states with higher gun deaths. I used St Louis and NYC as examples though because I have been to both cities multiple times, and definitely feel safer in st louis over NYC overall. Grew up in NY, and Missouri is definitely safer, but statistics show otherwise........

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
nope, did not fail statistics in college, actually got quite a high grade. You can make statistics support or go against any thing you want. going by per capita, you are saying that NYC has less homicides. going by the amount NYC has more homicides. 1,531 deaths is definitely worse than 267, but when you change it to deaths per capita, 1,531 isnt bad at all, its actually quite good compared to St Louis. that, is how you make statistics support your arguments.

As far as states, it doesnt surprise me the states with higher gun deaths. I used St Louis and NYC as examples though because I have been to both cities multiple times, and definitely feel safer in st louis over NYC overall. Grew up in NY, and Missouri is definitely safer, but statistics show otherwise........
So feels > data for you. Don’t feel bad. You obviously aren’t the only one. It’s almost like that’s why the right was trying to make the country feel like crime was out of control in democratic places, when’s its anything but.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Ahhh so you are using your feels over facts. Is that what they taught you in statistics? You should ask for a refund.

I was in St Louis, I feel safer in NYC. St Louis just felt run down and less safe overall.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Would you rather be in a room with 1 other person who is a murderer, or a room with 1000 other people 2 of which are murders?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Would you rather be in a room with 1 other person who is a murderer, or a room with 1000 other people 2 of which are murders?

I'd go with one murderer slam-dunk unless it's Freddy Krueger or Jason. (etc)

Contrary to popular belief even most people who commit multiple murders need an actual REASON to do it they don't usually just kill "for the hell of it".

Further the vast majority of "IRL" murders are committed by folks who have never killed anyone before.

Plus I hate crowds... stuck in one for long enough it might be ME doing the "murdering"!

;)

I was in St Louis, I feel safer in NYC. St Louis just felt run down and less safe overall.

I've been there myself a few times and I completely agree.... St Louis overall is a dump.

:(

However I must admit the fans at the Cardinals game I went to dressed in NY Mets gear couldn't have been nicer/friendlier even when the Mets came back from 3 down and won the game.

Last edited:

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

Statistics don't lie, people do.