Sound Probs

dexmanone

Aug 31, 2000
Anybody any good with sound? I was adjusting my cables yesterday, extensions for my headphones, and I heard the *crackle*. I was doing this as I was booting up. After boot no sound from windows media 6.4. Rebooted and everything worked. Turned off, came back later and probs there again. So what it sounds like is a channel is missing. Thinking it had something to do with the cheapy "inland" 4ch card, I pulled the card and tested on the board---same thing. I've removed from System\Devices several times to reinstall, which it did but no help. I've got the onboard disabled in bios, so I'm working through the card now. Tried everything, cd, musicmatch, wm 6.4, but even the intro when the pc boots up is wierd.

I've got:
FIC AN11 STEALTH Motherboard
1700+ Athlon
256 DDR x 2
Win/98SE

Any help? Thanks

dexmanone

Aug 31, 2000
anyone? is it possible to permanently damage sound? I would think with sound card even if the on-board got fried, the card would still work?

GlassGhost

Jan 30, 2003
Is the 1/8" jack you connect your headphones/speakers to loose? You may have damaged the jack if you pulled the headphones/speaker cables out too forcefully. If this is the case, you could very well replace the jack if you are comfortable with working with electronics and have a steady hand to solder, otherwise chuck it and buy a new one.

Also, try a different set of headphones 1st, sometimes the simple answer is the right one ;)

Good luck