sound pops, clicks and stops in xp

pamf

Dec 11, 2000
im having some sound problems in xp .. when i do some fairly routine tasks (like opening the right click menu in windows explorer) my sound playback from winamp (and probably other things, but i havent had anything else playing sound when it happens) stops for a half second or so.. i also get pops and clicks sometimes .. and im sure theyre not from the mp3 itself.. ive got the latest bios, via 4in1s, detonator, and sb drivers. windowsupdates, etc.. ive also tried changing the sounds in winamp a lot.. the boards an abit kt7a.. the live is on its own irq and isnt sharing with anything.. detailed specs here ..ive tried changing winamps settings and such but it doesnt help .. i dont have anything else running and using up the cpu or anything .. usually just an ie or two, mirc, icq, msn and winamp .. this is really annoying so id appreciate any help ..

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
is the volume level on your computer turned down while the level on your speakers turned up? also you said that you aren't running programs when this happens but you are, are you or aren't you! when I would run programs and mp3s at the same time it used to skip while it was opening the other program, my solution: I got a gtxp and use hardware mp3 acceleration! (sb live probably has it)

pamf

Dec 11, 2000
by 'not running any programs' i meant nothing extraordinary like seti or something that would eat up the cpu and possibly cause this kind of thing. basically theres next to no cpu usage or disk activity, so im at a complete loss as to why this happens ..

pamf

Dec 11, 2000
hm ;/ nothing helpful there.. the first one suggests running the card in single dma mode, which doesnt seem to be applicable for xp .. and the xp sound troubleshooter doesnt have anything useful either- sigh-

richleader

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
This might sound strange, but if your mouse cord runs between your speakers and monitor, the signal can sometimes cause pops and clicks (but I doubt stops).