Sound not working, why? (not related to earlier post)

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Hi all.

I just got done putting my new computer together, and I have my OS (Windows 98 SE) and all drivers installed. Everything is working fine, except the sound. Windows detected my soundcard, and I have installed the drivers from the CD. I have the little speaker icon in the systray, and sounds appear to play with no problem. The thing is, I don't hear anything.

I have done all the obvious stuff (making sure speakers are plugged into right port, making sure speakers are not dead, rebooting, adjusting volume) but I still have no sound. The drivers on the CD are the same version as the ones on the manufacturer's website.

What is wrong? I sure hope my brand-new card isn't dead!

BTW, the card is a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128.

heffe734

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
Uh...does your mobo come with on-board sound? Cuz if it does...you have to go to bios and disable it. I think that should do it...if that's not the culprit then try your soundcard on your old comp. Maybe your card went out...but i doubt it. I think it my be the conflict w/ your mobo.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Hmm...
I took it out of the PCI slot and, just out of curiosity, I put it in a different slot on the same comp. It worked.

Thanks for the reply anyway. :)