Sound Card Problem

heyyoudvd

Aug 22, 2004
I built a new PC (for my first time) a few days ago with an Audigy 2 (OEM) and today I just picked up a set of Logitech Z-5300's.
Anyways, from the start, I wasn't too impressed with the sound quality (I just used headphones) and now with my 5300's, I'm even less impressed. Things tend to sound very muffled and static-y, and not nearly as good as I believe they should.

Is there any way for me too test to see if my sound card is working properly, or if I maybe don't have the most up-to-date drivers? I downloaded some drivers from Creative when I first build the computer, but I don't remember what they were or if they were up to date.

So, what do you suggest I do to improve sound quality?

Thanks.

*Edit*

Actually scratch all that. I went around wiggling all the cords, turning things off and on again and such, and now things sound fantastic. It's funny (and a bit frustrating) when things seem to solve themselves without you knowing why.

heyyoudvd

Aug 22, 2004
Actually I think I want to bring this topic back.

When listening through the headphone jack on the controller with my Grado SR60s, things sound great but the 5300's themselves still seem to sound a little muffled with a bit of a hiss sound. Should they not sound like that, or am I just expecting too much out of them since I'm used to listening to my music through a set of SR60's, which obviously have superior sound to any speakers in the $200CDN price range?

Because I definitely hear a little bit of a static-y hiss/muffled sound.

Thanks.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
How do you have your volume levels set? Often there are three different sets of volumes to worry about: application volume, Windows master volume, speaker volume. Does your problem get better or worse if you lower your windows volume and raise your speaker volume (or vice versa)?

heyyoudvd

Aug 22, 2004
I just turned the speaker volume (the one in Sound and Audio Device Properties) all the way up and things got ten times worse. How high should I set it?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Try turning the speaker volume down in Windows and using your speakers' volume control. Also, try muting your microphone to see if that makes a difference.

heyyoudvd

Aug 22, 2004
I don't have a mic but it looks like the high Windows speaker volume was the source of all my problems. Things sound a lot better now but I'll have to test things out more just to confirm that everything is sounding nice.

heyyoudvd

Aug 22, 2004
I've got another speaker-related question.
Can excess nearby dust affect sound quality (ie. can it create a static sound)?

Because my pc is in a room that tends to get dusty very fast.