Sound Card or AMP for Sennheiser PC360?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hi all,

I have the Sennheiser PC360 gaming headset. I just use regular on-board realtek 7.1 audio to drive the headphones.

Specs for the Senns PC360 are here....

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/gamer-headset-hifi-sound-noise-cancelling-microphone-pc-360

As you can see, its only 50 Ω (ohms) so I am wondering if its worthwhile to invest in an AMP (less than $100 hopefully) or buying an internal sound card like the ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1?

What do you think would be my best option to get the most out of my headphones at a decent cost?

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
That really isn't very high when it comes to impedance. You'd probably get a bigger bump in quality just from moving to a higher quality source than the onboard audio, such as a USB DAC.

There are plenty of cheap USB DAC + headphone amp units out there that should fit the bill nicely. You can find a ton on ebay for ~$55 shipped.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I had a pair of pc360s and despite amping them I could never get them to sound very good. The problem is with the headphones not your source and amplification stages. They simply aren't very good and I can't explain why. They are meant to sound likes pair of 555s but they don't perform remotely that well.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I had a pair of pc360s and despite amping them I could never get them to sound very good. The problem is with the headphones not your source and amplification stages. They simply aren't very good and I can't explain why. They are meant to sound likes pair of 555s but they don't perform remotely that well.

Yeah, I was posting in other forums asking the same question and have come to the conclusion that it is not worth getting an amp/dac.

I will simply get a cheap Asus Xonar DGX and call it a day.

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
I would get the Creative Sound Blaster Z($119). 600ohm headphone amp, and you gain the abillity of sound quality, better sound positioning, and reproduction as well.

The new Z series is head and shoudlers above any other offering currently.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I would get the Creative Sound Blaster Z($119). 600ohm headphone amp, and you gain the abillity of sound quality, better sound positioning, and reproduction as well.

The new Z series is head and shoudlers above any other offering currently.

I always thought Asus was better for the most part?

Must be something new from Creative.....I will look into this.

Thanks.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I run an asus xonar d2x and I've noticed that driver support for their sound cards isn't up to par anymore. I've been eyeing the zxr myself.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
That really isn't very high when it comes to impedance. You'd probably get a bigger bump in quality just from moving to a higher quality source than the onboard audio, such as a USB DAC.

There are plenty of cheap USB DAC + headphone amp units out there that should fit the bill nicely. You can find a ton on ebay for ~$55 shipped.

Impedance isn't everything in properly driving headphones.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I run an asus xonar d2x and I've noticed that driver support for their sound cards isn't up to par anymore. I've been eyeing the zxr myself.

The Unified drivers are excellent. Pair it with the 7.1 patch as well and you'll find you are very happy with the card. Asus' drivers might be less than stellar but the default ones are just fine, less heavy and overall sound a lot better. Asus' game mode is rubbish, you get better surround if you don't use it and just use standard Dolby Digital settings with a reference room. The 7.1 room patch however is even better.