Sound card bit the dust?

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Have a SB Audity Plat sound card. Been working great until tonight having some issues.

First started when playing EQ2, I'd randomly crash. Thought for some reason it didn't like my OC, so turned it down a bit (keep in mind that my OC did make it through Sandra and numerous Benchmarking programs just fine without reaching the temps I got tonight while playing EQ2). So I log back in and I crash again, get the blue screen of death stating something about device drivers. This has me confused because I haven't updated or DL'd a driver for over a month. And everything worked just fine last night.

So I boot back up and there's a constant beep coming from my speakers....so I'm thinking "wtf" and decide to try to play an MP3 thinking that it might clear up the distortion...and nope, got that constant beep. So I quit musicmatch and it stopped. Thus why I'm thinking it's my sound card...

Did it just go buh bye on me? Or anyone have any other ideas as to what is the issue?

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Actually this could be memory issues. Try one stick of memory at a time, and run memtest.

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ohnnyj
Actually this could be memory issues. Try one stick of memory at a time, and run memtest.

Memory issue if no sounds will play at all now?

Updated my driver, installed the two updates from SB's site. No beeps, just no sound. Ran the dxdiag test, couldn't hear a thing. Tried to play an MP3, no sound, no nothing.

S

SlitheryDee

Are you saying that you got a sudden and unusual spike in temperature? Maybe your cpu fan bit the dust. Check and see if everything's spinnin'

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
How about disableing the soundcard in device manager (or physically removing the care) and see if EQ2 still crashes. If it does, it's not a physical soundcard problem.

EDIT: oops, missed the stuff about the beeping when I read it the first time.

Cook1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Are you saying that you got a sudden and unusual spike in temperature? Maybe your cpu fan bit the dust. Check and see if everything's spinnin'

Fan is still runnin, everything is still running normally cept I can't play any music or hear anything at all anymore.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Was your system Prime95 stable or just random benchmark completion stable?

S

SlitheryDee

Dunno, try YOyoYOhowsDAjello's suggestion. I'd say test the card in a different computer but I don't know if that would be safe for the other computer. If your card is damaged, I mean.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Saying that your CPU got significantly hotter in EQ2 than in benchmarking it makes me think that maybe the crashes were due to the CPU being stressed more than it had been before.

I think testing the soundcard in a different comptuer would be a good idea too.

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Cook1
Originally posted by: ohnnyj

Memory issue if no sounds will play at all now?

Updated my driver, installed the two updates from SB's site. No beeps, just no sound. Ran the dxdiag test, couldn't hear a thing. Tried to play an MP3, no sound, no nothing.

Well a lot of times when blue screens fly and start giving you odd errors about files being corrupted/missing and there is further odd behavior while in Windows, memory could be a problem.