Sound bars as PC speakers

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
For years I’ve thought a compact sound bar would make for great under monitor PC speakers. I never seem to notice them in pictures I see of people’s setups. Why is this?

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Maybe under the monitor wasn’t the right wording. I am thinking of a setup where the monitor is on an arm and the bar can go beneath it. I have mostly seen long sound-bars or bluetooth speakers that are battery operated however I was at Costco and held a Bose Solo up to a 27” monitor and the fit is perfect. They are about the same width.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Maybe under the monitor wasn’t the right wording. I am thinking of a setup where the monitor is on an arm and the bar can go beneath it. I have mostly seen long sound-bars or bluetooth speakers that are battery operated however I was at Costco and held a Bose Solo up to a 27” monitor and the fit is perfect. They are about the same width.

dont worry i know exactly what you are talking about, i bought a nice Yamaha soundbar with sub that connects to the bottom of the tv which is mounted on the wall, i dont understand why people dont mount their monitor on the wall and complain they can only fit a 32" on their desk (silly unless they have glass walls no walls or some weird renting agreement)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i want one but i need some feet to lift it above the monitor stand. currently rolling with a set of speakers old enough to drink.

Reactions: corkyg

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes you could do that, but often if people are spending enough for a decent sound bar, they'd get more bass out of a traditional setup with a sub.

Personally, I would not factor in the size of a 27" monitor unless you want to be married to that size forever. Except for electronic failure, a sound bar should easily outlast any particular monitor.

I'd still go with separate L/R speakers, so they can be spread further apart for better L/R channel separation. On the sides of a 27" monitor rather than under it, seems a much better position to me unless you're using super small cart-desk-something setup that just isn't wide enough. I did face that myself once and mounted a wider piece of wood to the back of it to put the speakers on, painted of course so it matched.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
sitting ~36" from a 36" sound bar should be plenty of channel separation. that's how far apart my speakers are anyway.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Soundbars suck. I'm not a audiophile snob, but I hate subs that have to compensate for the lack of midbass in the soundbar. I'd rather cut out all the ultra low bass and just have drivers that can deliver the midbass for a tighter sound. You'll also need cabinets for depth and staging.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
sitting ~36" from a 36" sound bar should be plenty of channel separation. that's how far apart my speakers are anyway.
The sound bar in question "is about the same width" as a 27" (presumably the standard diagonal measurement) monitor, so not near 36" of separation between the L/R channel drivers. Granted, most people wouldn't sit 36" away from a 27" monitor, especially if it's 1440p or higher.

The thing is, I for one would eventually want a larger monitor, so this short sound bar then wouldn't be a matching size, but would still have drivers quite close together while separate speakers can be moved to the side of any size monitor.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The sound bar in question "is about the same width" as a 27"
oh i thought you were responding to me.
i sit about 36" from a 32" monitor, my current speakers are on either side of it, and, using a tape measure, side to side is about 36".

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yes you could do that, but often if people are spending enough for a decent sound bar, they'd get more bass out of a traditional setup with a sub.

Personally, I would not factor in the size of a 27" monitor unless you want to be married to that size forever. Except for electronic failure, a sound bar should easily outlast any particular monitor.

I'd still go with separate L/R speakers, so they can be spread further apart for better L/R channel separation. On the sides of a 27" monitor rather than under it, seems a much better position to me unless you're using super small cart-desk-something setup that just isn't wide enough. I did face that myself once and mounted a wider piece of wood to the back of it to put the speakers on, painted of course so it matched.
Most people who want a sound bar are not concerned with a traditional setup! They have their hearts set on a soundbar! I have no idea why people try talk the OP out of what he wants!
Sure there is a better way, but ehh a soundbar will work!!
I personlly have a sound bar for the TV and I have a nice set of Klipsch speakers with a Klipsch subwoofer! When watching TV I have the speakers and the soundbar for very enjoyable sound!!

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
In closing, I have to admit that I have these 2.0 Logitech speakers. If you can tell, I don't care too much about sound quality. I am siting so close to them that I don't think I'd really notice it. Personally, I think good headphones would be a better investment.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes you can get better sound from headphones at the same price point, but a lot of people don't want to wear them unless it's an issue of not disturbing others, which it might be if you like a fair amount of volume which is also an area where the inexpensive computer speakers tend to sound like garbage.

Even with headphones, you're still looking at how much to pay, whether you *need* a headamp or DAC or might prefer bluetooth or something gaming oriented with a mic. It's a great era for customer choice, with the budget being the main limit.

Personally I prefer regular bookshelf stereo speakers with a standalone amp. It need not even be a fancy or large footprint amp.