Sound Absorption on the cheap

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'm wanting to hang some material on the walls in my basement to help absorb some sound. It's a music room with a drumkit, guitar amps, etc.

I have a tight budget, so I'm going to start with hanging thick comforters on the walls.

I found these at walmart for about $25 (for a king size). They are decently thick and have different colors. Basement is about 25'x25'. I'm thinking I could hang 4-5 of these and it should really help.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...-Eyes/13003815

Mainstays Reversible Microfiber Bedding Comforter:
Comforter front: 100% polyester brushed microfiber
Back: 100% polyester brushed microfiber
Fill: 100% polyester
Comforter Size:
King 104" x 92"

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Instead of wasting money buying new, go to thrift shops. You won't be generating more crap for the planet, you may find something more interesting looking.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Have you priced soundboard?

In the early 1990s I was working for a construction company, one project we built was a classroom for a church. To prevent sound from going through the walls, we installed a type of soundboard that muffled any sound that hit the board.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I thought about doing that.. well at least calling around the shops to see if they have anything.

Do you think hanging covers/quilts/comforters is a good idea? I can't afford any foam paneling and need something easy to hang.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Have you priced soundboard?

In the early 1990s I was working for a construction company, one project we built was a classroom for a church. To prevent sound from going through the walls, we installed a type of soundboard that muffled any sound that hit the board.

Yea.. can't afford it and not going to do an expensive install in this basement. I'm renting and short of hanging a few hooks to hold up up the comforters I can't do much to it.

I can get 4 king size comforters for about $100 and that's going to cover a much bigger space than $100 worth of soundboard will cover.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Not sure how the price stacks up, but look into carpeting and carpet padding. Like the giant rolls that they cut to order from Lowe's or wherever.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Not sure how the price stacks up, but look into carpeting and carpet padding. Like the giant rolls that they cut to order from Lowe's or wherever.

this. if you go to a carpet retailer, you can probably get some remnants for cheap

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
this. if you go to a carpet retailer, you can probably get some remnants for cheap
Back in my band days we were able to gather carpeting from carpet stores that was torn out of people's homes for free. We used a combination of soundboard, carpeting, and foam eggcrate padding.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Would carpet work any better than a comforter? Comforters are big and soft so I was thinking that would be a good bet.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Check craigslist. Every now and then someone dismantles a studio or something and wants to get rid of their soundproofing material.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
There are multitudes of things you can use to make your room less live. In my case, furniture worked well. Clever placements of the couches and, like zin said, bookshelves, will stop lots of offending frequencies from bouncing off the walls. IIRC, your room was a square, which are the worst to control. You could spend that $100 on tons of stuff from a thrift shop that would probably do a better job than your comforters.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Cheap carpet by the roll + some drywall screws + some type of garbage filler?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
There are multitudes of things you can use to make your room less live. In my case, furniture worked well. Clever placements of the couches and, like zin said, bookshelves, will stop lots of offending frequencies from bouncing off the walls. IIRC, your room was a square, which are the worst to control. You could spend that $100 on tons of stuff from a thrift shop that would probably do a better job than your comforters.

Yea, the room is square. I just don't have any more room for furniture. Floor is carpet, and the only thing I have room for is hanging stuff on the walls.

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
if you were local to me (rochester, ny) i have a ton of acoustical foam that's about to get trashed. rebuilding the anechoic chamber at work and the old stuff is still in decent shape.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
When I was young and had a quadraphonic that I liked to play loud, I used egg cartons on the wall and ceiling to absorb the sound. It does a great job and is free with every dozen eggs!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
A buddy of mine built a sound room in his garage - the room was something like 10X10 with 6 inch studs.

The walls were filled with sand.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Eggcrate foam works great 40sq feet of it can cost less than $35.00

It's not going to soundproof the room, but it will help.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Yea.. can't afford it and not going to do an expensive install in this basement. I'm renting and short of hanging a few hooks to hold up up the comforters I can't do much to it.

Then you shouldn't play the drums in there.

Truly and honestly - anything you do short of adding a second wall to the room, not connected to the first wall, will not decrease the level of audio in the rest of the house/apt. It just isn't going to do any good. Layers and layers of carpet will bring down the cymbals a bit, Having an unbroken continuous layer of "something" that reflects or absorbs midrange will help with the snares and drums, but just about nothing that you can put up will handle the bass drum.

It's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway or using a dixie cup to empty the sea.

Case in point - lived with a guy that had the same setup - unfinished basement, just some wood panel walls and a bare piped ceiling. Set up band down there. Put up actual sheets of drywall on the walls and hung a drop ceiling, inside of which he filled with carpet scraps, fiberglass, anything he could. He even hung drywall on the ceiling trying to get the noise level down in the rest of the house. He spent probably a thousand dollars on just filler for the ceiling.

The result:
Instead of his wife and friend having to hold their ears shut and shout at each other, they didn't have to hold their ears shut, but the still had to shout to be heard. TV unwatchable, basically even the neighbors came knocking if he played too late.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004

Then you shouldn't play the drums in there.

Truly and honestly - anything you do short of adding a second wall to the room, not connected to the first wall, will not decrease the level of audio in the rest of the house/apt. It just isn't going to do any good. Layers and layers of carpet will bring down the cymbals a bit, Having an unbroken continuous layer of "something" that reflects or absorbs midrange will help with the snares and drums, but just about nothing that you can put up will handle the bass drum.

It's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway or using a dixie cup to empty the sea.

Case in point - lived with a guy that had the same setup - unfinished basement, just some wood panel walls and a bare piped ceiling. Set up band down there. Put up actual sheets of drywall on the walls and hung a drop ceiling, inside of which he filled with carpet scraps, fiberglass, anything he could. He even hung drywall on the ceiling trying to get the noise level down in the rest of the house. He spent probably a thousand dollars on just filler for the ceiling.

The result:
Instead of his wife and friend having to hold their ears shut and shout at each other, they didn't have to hold their ears shut, but the still had to shout to be heard. TV unwatchable, basically even the neighbors came knocking if he played too late.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
A buddy of mine built a sound room in his garage - the room was something like 10X10 with 6 inch studs.

The walls were filled with sand.

Now we're talking. To soundproof something - you gotta add MASS. MLV sheets in between 2 layers of sheetrock, or a concrete wall covered and finished as if it were the normal wall are probably the only other options likely to make a difference.