Question sorry if silly, but who makes dell 8tb sata drives? (has a dell sticker)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i think they might use seagate but im very curious as im shopping for 10 more 8+tb drives and need to source some.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Not silly at all. I'm sure the Dell sticker doesn't cover the entire drive. You might be able to find a model number on it or even the model number off 'Device Manager' in Windows. Googling that might tell ya who the original is.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think pretty much all the Dell laptops I've bought over the years (as recently as last winter), have all come with Seagate HDDs.

However, the NVMe drive (OS drive) in my last laptop was a Toshiba, with the Seagate HDD being the "storage" drive.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I think pretty much all the Dell laptops I've bought over the years (as recently as last winter), have all come with Seagate HDDs.

However, the NVMe drive (OS drive) in my last laptop was a Toshiba, with the Seagate HDD being the "storage" drive.
Not silly at all. I'm sure the Dell sticker doesn't cover the entire drive. You might be able to find a model number on it or even the model number off 'Device Manager' in Windows. Googling that might tell ya who the original is.

it looks like this drive. the sticker is all that appears to be on it. i wasnt planning on buying one until i found out what it was but i guess i can buy a seagate 8tb for fun to see how it lasts..
looks just like that one. comes in that caddy thing too,

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
it looks like this drive. the sticker is all that appears to be on it. i wasnt planning on buying one until i found out what it was but i guess i can buy a seagate 8tb for fun to see how it lasts..
looks just like that one. comes in that caddy thing too,
Tough to say for sure since that seller blurs all markings besides "Dell".

I think Dell primarily uses Seagate, but since they are Dell white label drives, they likely could switch the suppliers when/if needed.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Tough to say for sure since that seller blurs all markings besides "Dell".

I think Dell primarily uses Seagate, but since they are Dell white label drives, they likely could switch the suppliers when/if needed.
that was just a example photo i think the drives are 140$ so not high hopes for the drive being anything good. i been dreaming they would have 10tb or 14tb back on sale but its been a while. maybe ill keep waiting and run through the spares i have and hope nothing fails anytime soon.

Reactions: UsandThem