Sony vaio laptop won't boot past vaio screen

ericwalker87

Jun 2, 2010
My four-year-old sony vaio laptop is stuck on the vaio screen that comes up before anything else on startup. I cannot bypass it with any function button commands. Pressing F2 goes to a different screen which says "entering setup" on the bottom but goes nowhere from there. I even tried putting in the recovery disk to reinstall the OS and everything else, but I can't boot to it. Do I have a BIOS problem or something?

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
Have you tried unplugging the ac adapter and pulling the battery? Let it sit for a minute or two without either before plugging it back in and see if that helps.

mbevolution

Jun 16, 2006
So can you get into bios or does it stuck before that? if you can then you can choose "boot from CD" from the priority list, otherwise seems to be a memory problem. try reseating the memory, if no success, try to get a piece of old ram with similar speed and stick that in there and see if it boots

ericwalker87

Jun 2, 2010
So can you get into bios or does it stuck before that? if you can then you can choose "boot from CD" from the priority list, otherwise seems to be a memory problem. try reseating the memory, if no success, try to get a piece of old ram with similar speed and stick that in there and see if it boots

Tried reseating the memory and all is good now. Thanks

ericwalker87

Jun 2, 2010
Tried reseating the memory and all is good now. Thanks

Correction. That worked until the next time I tried to start up from shutdown, and it did it again. Reseating the memory worked again, but that's definitely not an option for everytime I shut the laptop down.

ericwalker87

Jun 2, 2010
So here's the current situation. Almost every time I turn the laptop on, it stops on the vaio logo on startup and just sits there. Once this happens, I can turn it off, unplug, and then reseat the memory. This works sometimes to get past the vaio logo. Trying different memory didn't change anything, so the memory is not the problem. I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't know if it's hardware, bios, etc. It's not the OS because i've done a clean install since this originally occurred.

Last edited:

ericwalker87

Jun 2, 2010
Alright, I think I've fixed the problem now. I took the laptop apart and checked as many connections as I felt comfortable messing with. I think the dvd drive connection was a little loose after years of use. It has been booting fine ever since. I'm hoping it stays that way. I'm kind of surprised that was the problem.

jvwayne

Jun 19, 2016
Correction. That worked until the next time I tried to start up from shutdown, and it did it again. Reseating the memory worked again, but that's definitely not an option for everytime I shut the laptop down.

I experience the same thing and I tried everything you said but still it doesn't work... Please help me also

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
The systems are stopping on the BIOS logo screen suggestive of an issue with the BIOS firmware.

Replace the CMOS battery as 4-5yrs is typical life span?