Sony HTSS380

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
Can someone give me advice on this HTIB model. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 TV and running PS3, Apple TV and get local stations through rabbit ear antenna.

I am on the fence about it mainly because of sound quality - the reviews are mixed as to whether there is too much base or not enough base. I am concerned about the rear speaker wires being long enough for my room but I suppose I could fix that - my main question is how is the sound for a larger living room. Thanks - Tom

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
I can afford this or even one twice as much but since I have a ps3 and Sony tv I wanted a system that would integrate and work together with one remote. Interested in feedback from people who have heard the sound from this system to give an opinion on sound quality, etc.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I can afford this or even one twice as much but since I have a ps3 and Sony tv I wanted a system that would integrate and work together with one remote. Interested in feedback from people who have heard the sound from this system to give an opinion on sound quality, etc.

So what is your budget, what is the room configuration?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
28 feet by 18 feet and budget is roughly $600. Thanks, Tom.

lulz, no htib is going to do the job in that room.

Are you opposed to using your ps3 as your blurray source?

and there is no way that thing can put out too much bass.

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
I currenty use the PS3 as my DVD and blue ray player - don't use 3D all that often. I cannot find a stronger Sony HTIB solution that also does not include a blu ray player which drives up the cost and I don't need one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I currenty use the PS3 as my DVD and blue ray player - don't use 3D all that often. I cannot find a stronger Sony HTIB solution that also does not include a blu ray player which drives up the cost and I don't need one.

then you are looking for a speaker set,sub and receiver for 600.

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
no, I am just looking for an opinion on the sound quality of the Sony HTSS380

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
no, I am just looking for an opinion on the sound quality of the Sony HTS3880

don't expect too much. And it is a bad fit for your space. 28x18 is just too big for these things. they are usable for like 150 sq ft tops.

even the lowly Radio Shack cheap ass speaker set will sound a lot better than these things.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Maybe you should get a Sony receiver, then get the speakers separate. You can start with two floor standing fronts and a sub, and then add on over time if you need it. 28' x 18' is pretty big.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
It will be better than the stock TV speakers. That's about it. By limiting yourself to Sony HTIB you keeping yourself from decent sound.

Amazon has the Jamo 426 at a good deal at $170. Add a BiC F12 to your cart while your there for $200.(subs make a massive difference in sound, more than you would think). Now do to accessories4less.com and buy a Denon 1612 for $190. You've spent $560 and have an infinitely better system. $15 for some 16g speaker wire and $8 for a sub cable, your done and under budget. If you absolutely have to have one remote get a Logitech Harmony 300 for $30. That's a huge room and trying to get decent sound to fill it with a crappy HTIB is just going to lead to disappointment.

The Denon receiver comes with features that will maximize the sound from the speakers. The decent sub will allow all low frequencies to go through it and free up the other to focus solely on higher frequencies increasing overall sound quality.

If you by God just have to buy a HTIB I'd probably go with a Denon DHT-1513BA. New they run $600 but you can get a refurb from the aforementioned accessories4less for $300. Onkyo makes some decent HTIB but their receivers tend to barf HDMI boards rather frequently.

tomsop

Sep 24, 2012
I like the Sony STRDN 1030W receiver for $450. I already have the home theater speakers rom my old system that I will just recycle with the new receiver for now. I am really focused on Sony just in hopes that I can have one remote run the PS3, TV and receiver.

As a side note, as I looked at the speaker connections I was disturbed to see they use the same old technology as 6 years ago with my yamaha receiver. I then see they came up with this banana plug connector - I wish I knew about these things when they came out with them - I have been for years trying to thread the bare speaker wire into the little opening with one hand while turning the clamp wheel with the other hand - what a chore.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Exactly which receiver are you looking at? Sony isn't even in the top three of receiver manufacturers, well behind Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer on the lower end. Your really handicapping yourself by excluding everything but Sony. Buy a Harmony remote that is going to work better anyways and get the right equipment for the job.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I like the Sony STRDN 1030W receiver for $450. I already have the home theater speakers rom my old system that I will just recycle with the new receiver for now. I am really focused on Sony just in hopes that I can have one remote run the PS3, TV and receiver.

As a side note, as I looked at the speaker connections I was disturbed to see they use the same old technology as 6 years ago with my yamaha receiver. I then see they came up with this banana plug connector - I wish I knew about these things when they came out with them - I have been for years trying to thread the bare speaker wire into the little opening with one hand while turning the clamp wheel with the other hand - what a chore.

Speaker wire terminals haven't changed in decades...banana plugs were invented in 1924, so another 12 years and it would be a century old...

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
no, I am just looking for an opinion on the sound quality of the Sony HTSS380

That's very low end stuff. It might be an improvement in sound over what you have now but over time you'll grow to hate it. I have experience with Sony, Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer. Onkyo and Denon have much better sound. My Pioneer failed 2 years after I bought it.

The Sony HTSS380 sells for $200 up here in Canada.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Speaker wire terminals haven't changed in decades...banana plugs were invented in 1924, so another 12 years and it would be a century old...

Quality banana plugs work very well. The best system I have used so far. They look good and they do the job.