SONY GDM-FW900 24" $1580 shipped free

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
One of the best CRT monitors out there, had to indulge myself. You only live once right. I have shpped quite a while for theis bad boy and this is by far the cheapest I have seen it.
Its under the home section. Inculdes 15% off and free shipping.
Take care.

sumrtym

Apr 3, 2002
Picked this up a number of months back with a 10% + 5% stackable (about $10-20 more than a straight $15%) with free shipping.

Unbelievable. Once you get past getting it installed (100 lbs, an unwieldy box with 4 handholds cause it's made for 4 people, did it up stairs by myself...) :p it's an amazing monitor. I love it. The ability to work on two documents at once and see all of both is a thing of beauty. Didn't need any adjustments (to my eyes) out of the box other than to stretch the pic a bit. I run in 1600x1024 as 1900x1200 is too small for me (they're recommended).

It doesn't ship with a disk of the .ini, so make sure you download it from the sony website. Also, it comes with a BNC cable...which it should, for the price. Gives you slightly better color/picture, but doesn't allow for windows to detect the monitor. Standard VGA also included. Can rotate almost a full 180 without needing pulled out if you have a close wall (that's a blessing, given it's weight). ;)

Well worth the money, and unless you need the desk space or for a LAN, kills an LCD every time.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I have one...awesome monitor. Make sure you run it @1920x1200 to get your money's worth...

Nice price too...

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Drool...... :p Tounge on floor. I have the 19" Flat screen and I love it. This is amazing!

flenn

Oct 9, 1999
The ability to work on two documents at once and see all of both is a thing of beauty.

No doubt that this is a nice monitor, but why not run two 19"ers. Cost less and offers much more real estate. Also, rather than dragging minimized windows to fit in one monitor, you can maximize both apps each in their own monitor. Plus, you can run different resolutions on each monitor. Don't get me wrong, for coolness (and games), the Sony wins hands down. But if you're concerned with actual productivity, two large monitors makes much more sense.

Spartacus

Dec 31, 2000
You guys should see the new Sony 23" 16:9 LCD panel at CC that they got in a few weeks ago!!!

Of course the price is $3K, which makes it a FREEZING deal. :(

exisle

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: flenn
The ability to work on two documents at once and see all of both is a thing of beauty.

No doubt that this is a nice monitor, but why not run two 19"ers. Cost less and offers much more real estate. Also, rather than dragging minimized windows to fit in one monitor, you can maximize both apps each in their own monitor. Plus, you can run different resolutions on each monitor. Don't get me wrong, for coolness (and games), the Sony wins hands down. But if you're concerned with actual productivity, two large monitors makes much more sense.

you just don't get it! it's all about the brag factor:p

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Spartacus
You guys should see the new Sony 23" 16:9 LCD panel at CC that they got in a few weeks ago!!!

Of course the price is $3K, which makes it a FREEZING deal. :(

I seen the monitor. That moron there was saying it was 18", I wanted to buy it for the 18" price, I should have bought it.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Daaavo
I seen the monitor, too. And it be all that. :D

haha!!

it'll come down in price... right guys? :p

stev0 <- wants one badddddd :D

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
well, right now i got a 19 inch trinitron gonna dual those bad boys.. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Why go dual 19" when you can go 24 and 19 i say... just think of all the multitask pron...

w3b

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
might as well go dual with this baby here... and two 24" CRT is certainly much better than one 23" LCD...

well, unless you're the table :p

dlaw

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2001
Originally posted by: w3b
might as well go dual with this baby here... and two 24" CRT is certainly much better than one 23" LCD...

I like this idea.

himohimo

Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Grminalac
well, right now i got a 19 inch trinitron gonna dual those bad boys.. I'll post some pics when it arrives. Why go dual 19" when you can go 24 and 19 i say... just think of all the multitask pron...

get your l33t speak right :) it's "pr0n" :p

if i could get one for 800 i'd buy one without a doubt.. using photoshop and flash on my 17" really cramps up my style... with all those toolbars and stuff the actually working space is like a 8" square :p :p

nice find :) please post when it's 1000 or less :)

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
The $800 price was a fluke, but I'm happy I got it. I had coupon stacked on the home side when discounts were over 20%, and I bought the gdm-f500r when they were discounting them to get rid of them. I was shipped the fw900 instead. :D

That was a brag and moan, certainly. But I do love the monitor and highly recommend it to anyone in the market.

Taarna

Jun 7, 2002
You're going to hate me.

I got mine free. It was being discarded after qualification. So I grabbed it and hauled it home.
Had to buy a graphics card to drive the 1920 x 1200. Got a Radeon 7000 for $42. Close out at BB.

Using it right now. Too much screen real estate.

You get spoiled working for a computer manufacturer.

Does anyone know how to adjust the horizontal focus and landing?

Thanks