Sony Data Sheet: Price comparison of PS3 premium VS Xbox 360 Core

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Here is another lame attempt from Sony to justify the price of its PS3 to consumers. Its a comparison between the PS3 Premium and the 360 Core, adding features to the 360 Core that are "required" in order to compare it to the PS3 Premium. The 360 ends up being more expensive obviously. Using their comparison with the 360 Premium, which would make more sense, would make the package $50 cheaper. I guess Sony had to get every last bit of cash in to justify its PS3.

http://gaming.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...60-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

Here's my comparison. The fact sheet shows that the PS3 will have a hard time doing Anti-Aliasing in all their games unlike the 360. The PS3 has no on-die memory, therefore it will sustain a huge performance hit when enabling Anti-Aliasing. The 360 will sustain a negligible performance hit.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
the whole point of the base xbox360 is for ppl who dont need wireless controllers or a hard drive.

If you wanted all those features you'd buy a premium console as opposed to core + ad ons. That is the whole point of the premium.

...and we know premium 360 costs less. In canada you can now get Splinter Cell: double agent and project gotham racing 3 with composite a/v cables that dont come bundled with ps3 and it still costs less than ps3 basic. So you have to add extra $ to get ps3 to even display ps3 on top of its price.

Besides that, ps3 has a horrible launch lineup - besides resistance fall of man, there is not 1 decent game you cant find on 360.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: RussianSensation

Besides that, ps3 has a horrible launch lineup - besides resistance fall of man, there is not 1 decent game you cant find on 360.

The Xbox 360 lineup sucked as well, with most the good games available on the PC.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Wreckage

The Xbox 360 lineup sucked as well, with most the good games available on the PC.

I think that's exactly what made that launch great, a $400 system that plays games you need a $1000+ pc for.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I dont know what Sony is trying to prove here with all this BS... PS diehard fans will buy it no matter what, fans of final fantasy and metal gear solid alone will be enough to rocket the sales.. they dont need to ruin their image even more with this kind of crap.. Boo sony

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
I dont know what Sony is trying to prove here with all this BS... PS diehard fans will buy it no matter what, fans of final fantasy and metal gear solid alone will be enough to rocket the sales.. they dont need to ruin their image even more with this kind of crap.. Boo sony

Some times when you've dug a whole so deep that you can't get out of it, you may as well keep digging and hope you bust through the other side of the planet instead. :p

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Originally posted by: SpeedZealot369

I think that's exactly what made that launch great, a $400 system that plays games you need a $1000+ pc for.
Well, most of those games are playable with a decent video card on a PC...so yeah no need for $1000+ PC

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Preorders are sold out pretty much everywhere for PS3's. Why are people still complaining about the price? It's pretty obvious people are willing to pay that.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Xcobra
Well, most of those games are playable with a decent video card on a PC...so yeah no need for $1000+ PC
So yeah, you still need near a $1000 PC. A $1000 PC is a entry level gaming system. And it might run just as nice as the 360, but its still $600 more expensive.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Originally posted by: vhx
Preorders are sold out pretty much everywhere for PS3's. Why are people still complaining about the price? It's pretty obvious people are willing to pay that.
I remember reading that Japan had lots of preorders not filled.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
All North American preorders are sold out. The Lik-Sang site from Japan has been banned from shipping to Europe and honestly it doesn't look very trustworthy so I am not ordering one from there.

Amazon.com and the like haven't even started taking preorders yet so I'm hoping to get one from there. Hopefully I can get one soon so I don't have to wait until March.

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by: vhx

They are just waiting to X-mas to really cash in :p

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
So many things are coming out this month.....

G80, ps3, wii, Gears of war, Zelda... My head is gonna explode

-SZ

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action

Don't mess with Microsoft, they burry whole companies at the same rate I use paper towels.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005

Well games will start to come out now and XBOX 360 has some really cool games like

* Dead rising
* Cromohound
* Rockstar table tennis
* Project Gotham 3
* Graw << this version is totally different to PC version.. PC one was a lame FPS , xbox360 3rd person
*Saint row
* Test drive Unlimited << has the coolest online mode ever... its like a Mini MMORacing game with a world and players
*Spinter Cell Double Agent >> this game is 1st totally made for the xbox then PC
*Phantasy Star Universe >> loved the beta :) going to buy the game today :)

Now games coming out next year and this year worth checking out : (my List)
Gears of War
Lost planet
Mass effect
Crack down
Bio shock
Halo 3
Forza Motorsport
Splinter Cell 5
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Fable 2
Eternal Sonata
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Halo War
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Alan Wake
Eragon
Def Jam: Icon
Burnout 5
Assassin's Creed
Resident Evil 5
Golden Axe

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: VIAN
So yeah, you still need near a $1000 PC. A $1000 PC is a entry level gaming system. And it might run just as nice as the 360, but its still $600 more expensive.

Well when you add the price of a decent HD TV to go along with that Xbox 360, then I'd say the price gap narrows significantly . . .

Nirach

Jul 18, 2005
I heard about it, but never bothered to read it..

Damnit, Sony are screwing up in my opinion. I remember being up until three AM watching the live E3 broadcast, and being excited like a child all over again. Funny how, in the space of a few months, they've actually convinced me not to get one.

Jun 14, 2003
lol the dude from sony is trumping the 50Gb storage capacity of the BR discs

last i checked the BR drive wasnt a BR-RW drive was it? so really the huge storage capacity means diddly squat to the end user.

and i dont understand...... xbox live silver doesnt let you play multiplayer games?:confused: i only have silver an i play online with other people in TDU, PGR3, SC: DA demo etc , do i dont get that

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: 1Dark1Sharigan1
Originally posted by: VIAN

Well when you add the price of a decent HD TV to go along with that Xbox 360, then I'd say the price gap narrows significantly . . .

or you could be smart and simply purchase a nice WS LCD (from which 20 inchers can be had for less than $300 for instance the new budget dell 207WFP is the same panel as the more expensive 2007WFP but lacks usb hubs n stuff, but still has HDCP DVI port)

they are cheaper than HDTV, have a better resolution than HDTV and as an extra prize are then more suited to use with a PC also.

so its killin 2 birds with one stone. one 20inch monitor, PC hooked via DVI, 360 hooked bia VGA (with correct cable) and bang your done.

(and generally $1000 for a decent gaming rig doesnt usually include a monitor, not in my book anyway)

countryboy

Oct 23, 2006
Originally posted by: tuteja1986

Well games will start to come out now and XBOX 360 has some really cool games like

* Dead rising
* Cromohound
* Rockstar table tennis
* Project Gotham 3
* Graw << this version is totally different to PC version.. PC one was a lame FPS , xbox360 3rd person
*Saint row
* Test drive Unlimited << has the coolest online mode ever... its like a Mini MMORacing game with a world and players
*Spinter Cell Double Agent >> this game is 1st totally made for the xbox then PC
*Phantasy Star Universe >> loved the beta :) going to buy the game today :)

Now games coming out next year and this year worth checking out : (my List)
Gears of War
Lost planet
Mass effect
Crack down
Bio shock
Halo 3
Forza Motorsport
Splinter Cell 5
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Fable 2
Eternal Sonata
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Halo War
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Alan Wake
Eragon
Def Jam: Icon
Burnout 5
Assassin's Creed
Resident Evil 5
Golden Axe

within the next month or so I am looking forward to Gears of War, Rainbow six Vegas, Call of duty 3, maybe Phantasy Star Universe and then in the future many of the games you listed :)

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Me i am looking forward too play Phantasy Star Online This month , then i will play Gears of War and finish that game in 6 days by playing 2hrs a day. Then i will play it online and see if i like it alot. I will buy Rainbow six Vegas in December and finish the single player. I wouldn't even touch call of duty 3 unless it gets really awesome review , the new developer are so great as the original Call of duty developers.

countryboy

Oct 23, 2006
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Me i am looking forward too play Phantasy Star Online This month , then i will play Gears of War and finish that game in 6 days by playing 2hrs a day. Then i will play it online and see if i like it alot. I will buy Rainbow six Vegas in December and finish the single player. I wouldn't even touch call of duty 3 unless it gets really awesome review , the new developer are so great as the original Call of duty developers.

make sure you post a review of Phanty Star Online please. I am unsure about the game. Demo was 'ok' but I didn't play it a whole lot. just once or twice, and it was laggy.