Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray Player for $269

dslabby

Apr 17, 2005
Available from 2 sellers off of PriceGrabber.com, both have good ratings/reviews. One has a higher price with free shipping and the other a lower price and about $18 s&h by DHL. Both end up at ~$280 delivered. All units are new in box and PayPal is accepted by them. Seems like a good deal with everyone else wanting $399 (list price) for the things. This is one of the best rated Blu-Ray players out now and activly supported/updated by Sony. Got me one for less than old Samsungs are going for on Ebay.

Link to PriceGrabber page with sellers:

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
Since this thing would be going through my Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver which can decode just about everything, I won't worry about that too much.

Good find op, though I still think the PS3 is a better player.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Treyshadow
Since this thing would be going through my Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver which can decode just about everything, I won't worry about that too much.

The Sony BDP-S300 can't send high def audio to the receiver via bitstream either.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn
Originally posted by: Treyshadow

The Sony BDP-S300 can't send high def audio to the receiver via bitstream either.

When the term high def audio is used, what exactly does that mean? Sorry, I'm late in the game on BR.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: DannyLove
Originally posted by: conehead433
When they have one of these for <$100 with 10 free movies I"ll buy one.

want them to give you a bj too or what?

I don't need one, so I can wait. In a few years they'll be $25 on BF with movies selling at WM for $5.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyLove

want them to give you a bj too or what?

I don't need one, so I can wait. In a few years they'll be $25 on BF with movies selling at WM for $5.

Try more like 10 years...

nycdude

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Is it just easiergetting a PS3 as a Blu-ray player with gaming as a bonus.? ;)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

You can get a HD-DVD player for $128 now. So Sony is going to have to drop their price to try and keep people from buying the HD-DVD players that are on a "fire" sale per say.

Shinare

Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

You can get a HD-DVD player for $128 now. So Sony is going to have to drop their price to try and keep people from buying the HD-DVD players that are on a "fire" sale per say.

Theres a reason they are on "fire sale" right now. I'm old enough to remember when Betamax players were on "fire sale". heh

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Shinare
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

Theres a reason they are on "fire sale" right now. I'm old enough to remember when Betamax players were on "fire sale". heh

But unlike Beta, you can burn HD content to a reg DVD and watch it on this player. not that i am saying you do anything illegal. :shocked:

oRdchaos

Nov 4, 2000
It sounds like there's about to be a new BluRay specification that requires an internet connection and potentially local storage.

What this means is any standalone BluRay player on the market right now won't play these discs down the line.

The PS3, however, can be firmware upgraded and already has the internet connection and local storage.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: oRdchaos
It sounds like there's about to be a new BluRay specification that requires an internet connection and potentially local storage.

What this means is any standalone BluRay player on the market right now won't play these discs down the line.

The PS3, however, can be firmware upgraded and already has the internet connection and local storage.

Exactly why I'm staying away from Blu-Ray. All of the players seem to have problems playing some of the newer discs. I already have a $99 HD DVD player, and it plays everything without a problem. Upconverts very nicely as well. Both formats will be around for a while, but ultimately a higher resolution format will replace both. When DVD came out it was obviously vastly superior to VHS so it was something most consumers wanted, maybe even convinced themselves DVD was something they needed. HD DVD and Blu-Ray are obviously superior to DVD, but not really vastly superior to good upconversion players. And in this case no one really needs HD DVD or Blu-Ray, it's just something they want. So unless both camps come out with cheap players and cheap movie titles both will remain a small segment of the video industry.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: oRdchaos

This is inaccurate ... although BD profile 2.0 requires local storage & an internet connection it will only require these features for bonus content/special features, not to play movies.

Having said that, the PS3 is really the best currently available BD player & is the only model that will be upgradeble to v2.0 via firmware. (regardless of wether you'll be using it for games or not)

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Do NOT turn this thread into an argument about the formats. This will be the only warning. There is no reason that HD-DVD should even be mentioned in this thread.

Please do not test this policy. Any further posts about HD-DVD or the two formats should go to the unified thread in Audio/Video.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: nycdude
Is it just easiergetting a PS3 as a Blu-ray player with gaming as a bonus.? ;)

If you don't care about not having support for the HD audio formats.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Captante
Having said that, the PS3 is really the best currently available BD player

False. The PS3 does not output DTS HD or Dolby HD.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Jumpem
Originally posted by: Captante
Having said that, the PS3 is really the best currently available BD player

False. The PS3 does not output DTS HD or Dolby HD at the moment, but certainly has more then enough processing power for the feature to be added via firmware update..

Fixed that for you. ;)

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "best" because the PS3's audio limitations are real, however with that exception its as good as anything currently on the market & also AFAIK its the only one capable of supporting BD profile 2.

And on-topic, for $269 the Sony 300 is a pretty good deal.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been hearing about the PS3's potential for months and months now. To me, the audio is crucial - much, much moreso than pip or internet interactivity.