Son of a mother! Ebay + Paypal = outrageous

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
Ok, so I sold my dell 2005fpw on ebay.

It sold for $300.00 even to a zero rank (which I don't like in the first place, because they tend to complain about anything when the product arrives).

I only charged 35.00 for shipping, which is a mistake on my part.

It cost me $48.05 just to ship it with insurance.... and both Ebay and Paypal charge me $11 and $10 to use their service. I did all the work.. and I got jacked for ~$22 bucks on a $300 item.

I do not remember the eBay/paypal experience being this expensive a couple years back. So I am out ~$70 - $35 for shipping.

Net profit was $266.66 (it's a sign)

I am gonna have to start doing some Heatware to save me money next time. Any tips on starting?

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Should always expect to cough up the extra money if you plan on using a 3rd party for exchanging goods. I recently sold something on Ebay and just bumped up the shipping charges enough to cancel out the loss I was gonna take in Ebay/PayPal fees. That's the best route to take when dealing with Ebay. And most veteran Ebayers know that's why a lot of people charge higher shipping charges than actual cost. They know you're selling the item for less than you want for it but are making it up in shipping some. As long as you don't overdo it on the S/H jack ups, Ebay won't really give you any hassle.

Personally, I don't mind Ebay's fees as much as I do PayPal's. I feel like Ebay is providing a far more extensive service than PayPal, who pretty much does nothing but allow you to have an online bank account while scraping off the top of every transaction. If I'm selling something really high dollar, I'd almost prefer a money order to be honest.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
I suppose next time I will test the waters with a higher shipping rate.

Always either say that shipping costs will be calculated at end of auction based on buyers zip code, OR go to ups.com fedex.com or ups.com and find the estimated shipping costs at the furthest point away from you in the same country, and then charge 10% over that for shipping so you won't lose money on that.

Don't just take a random guess..

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Yes, as an occaisional ebayer, I'm concerned about the fees. Perhaps there's another auction service starting because of the load groan coming from the ebay community?

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
This is the reason I use forum for sale/classifieds. This was I just get raped for 2.8% from paypal.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Always recover your eBay/PayPal fees in the shipping and handling costs.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
my ebay/paypal fees come out to 25% of my revenue. it's like rent in a retail store.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Always recover your eBay/PayPal fees in the shipping and handling costs.

I agree plus the charges are worth it to me being able to move any product I sell unlik in the FS forum here.

Ausm

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
Originally posted by: JonTheBaller
$50 to ship an lcd? WhereTF did you ship it to?

I am in florida... winner was in cali.

Cross country.

Even shipping cross country, $35 is ridiculous. I shipped a 22 pound package from NC to CA for $16 yesterday via DHL Ground. I charged $22.

That being said, eBay/PayPal fees are a BITCH. My rapage from the past three months:

ebay_rape.jpg

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I try to avoid ebay at all costs...they really jack up the rates. Of course, I do sell my text books on Half.com...but I still make more than the bookstore here at my university would pay. We need more competition here...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
I try to avoid ebay at all costs...they really jack up the rates. Of course, I do sell my text books on Half.com...but I still make more than the bookstore here at my university would pay. We need more competition here...

I use half.com for DVDs and such. Much lower commission and they reimburse you for shipping.

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
Charge exact for shipping costs is what I tend to do. Paypal fees are pretty much unavoidable.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I was one of the very first paypal users. Because of increasing fees, harsh policies and lack of security, I am now an ex-paypal user. The only safe paypal account is a closed paypal account.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
$22 for visibilty to 95 million people? not a bad tradeoff. Companies would kill for your kind of cheap advertising.

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
I guess I screwed up.... the cheapest USPS shipped for was 29.00. But that would have taken 7-10 days (parcel post).

So I just upgraded to priority to get this guy his monitor. I am too nice.

I figured UPS / fedex would be more expensive. Was I wrong?