Sometimes logged in, sometimes not?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
After forum updates, I constantly experience that even after I logged in the forum, when I were viewing threads, the forum sometimes will think that I'm not logged in, yet when I click the Login button, it will tell me that I'm already logged in or give me an error.

Anyone?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have also been experiencing this same issue, I just encountered it again. At this particular moment, when I attempt to load the OT subforum, it treats me as if I'm logged out. However, I was able to successfully load Forum Issues and this thread...
Actually, when I first opened this topic, everything was normal, but by the time I attempted to post, it treated me as if I were logged out.
I refreshed the page, then it let me respond.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think it may be when I open more than one subforum in a separate tab... which is how I've browsed AT for years.

Edit: Nope, not it.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, checking the "keep me logged in" box has resolved it, but I didn't really want to do that.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, checking the "keep me logged in" box has resolved it, but I didn't really want to do that.

Yep. Checking the "keep me logged in" box is the only solution. I also don't want to do that, yet no other choice.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's good for a week, then the same problem re-occurs yet again.

Need to click around forum and re-click that login button several times. :(

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Its infuriating. I'll be logged in when clicking on the main forum page, and then when I go to enter an actual thread, it treats me as logged out. That said, when I go to click log in or the bottom "you must be logged in to post" link, a popup at the top says "you're already logged in! click here to go to the main page", and the process repeats.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
definitely seems to be something where its caching weirdly, because if you go to go BACK to a thread where you were browsing not logged in and then you go back to it when you're logged in, it doesn't re-check. This happened to me just now in the OT forum, but this thread (which I haven't visited while logged out) worked like a charm.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just tried a trick. After logging in, wait over a minute before doing anything.

It worked! Will try again later see if the method persist.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Got the same problem a few seconds ago (haven't checked "keep me logged in" since I don't want to do that either).

Clicked on CPU&OC subforum to open it in separate tab. Not logged in for that subforum! On the other tab, I get a box at the bottom telling me "Active user information has changed, reload blahblahblah". So I close the subforum tab and reload the main forum tab. Clock on CPU&OC and open it in a new tab, same problem again. Same box at the bottom of the main tab.

Opening up the forum issues subforum in a new tab fixed the problem. Heh.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah. It looks like if I was viewing a topic/thread, then clicked that login button to login the forum and tried to reply the topic, then it's very likely I will get logged in / not logged in problem.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Today it's getting even weirder, I could be logged-in on page 1 but logged-out on page 2 of the same topic. :mad:

What's going on? Really? No method I tried before worked!

==

Now it became normal after a few minutes. Same topic/thread. Like a few past experiences. o_O

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Definitely getting a similar issue. Seems more of a caching problem more than anything else.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah it's definitely a caching issue. They must have a mostly broken cache system in place. Seems better if you are logged in.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I am having this same issue as well. This is happening on chrome and firefox and on a fresh install of windows 10.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Anyone know anything about this? Really becoming frustrating trying to do anything on here. Is this something on our end or the forum's end? I don't think it is our end as I have tried different computers with same results. Could it be an issue with certain accounts? I would think if this was happening to everyone, we would see alot more posts about it.

It's weird, it's like it knows where I am going to post and will say I am not logged in when I get there but will be logged in before that.

This is happening on other forums as well, not just this one. Will not mention any names as not sure if that would be allowed. This forum is based on vbulletin, right?

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
3+ months passed by and still the same issue. Forum admins do not care.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You sure your browsers didn't update and change a setting as to how your cookies are handled or deleted around the time the forum updated?

I don't have problems staying logged in. I'm using firefox here with no cookie add-ons but I block all third party cookies and don't have them set to delete when I close the browser. I do that when I clear my sandbox. Also, when I look at my password manager's autofill I don't see where I tick a stay logged in box unless it's ticked by default.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
@balloonshark

Cleared cache, reinstalled browsers, disable ad blockers, etc, nothing helps. It just happens from time to time, completely randomly.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
@balloonshark

Cleared cache, reinstalled browsers, disable ad blockers, etc, nothing helps. It just happens from time to time, completely randomly.
Do you have some sort of scheduled automatic cleaning or maintenance program like ccleaner running in the background? Is windows capable of scheduling automatic disk cleanup?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Do you have some sort of scheduled automatic cleaning or maintenance program like ccleaner running in the background? Is windows capable of scheduling automatic disk cleanup?
No.

It's obvious a forum issue, like others also have experienced.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Almost 100% positive this issue is not on my end. Just put together a brand new machine, built myself, with win 10, only basic programs installed and I am still getting this issue. About the only way it could be on my end if it has something to do with isp. Also started getting that captcha thing on the brand new machine as well.