Something that was debated in class today

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Decided to change topics (edited), since the previous one was pretty pointless:)
(Besides my icon, I'm white :p )
Today in class we discussed the recent news that a white kid in California that overheard two black kids using the "N" word, and they are discussing (school board is) whether the act was a "hate crime", because I can tell you, if a white kid said it, it would be a hate crime. My class was 50% black, so I heard opinions from both sides, such as it's their own business what they say, the "N" word has a lot of heritage and meaning and is used a lot within their culture ( I know it is, but it was funny hearing this kid talk for like 20 minutes, LOL :) ), and that it's not fair that white people would get in trouble and the black kids get off, but if you think about it every culture has their own word or grasp that they use, such as if I called one you a nerd or geek, it wouldn't be as derogatory as someone who doesn't like computers say it to one of you. IE: genders,religion,race, handicap, etc.

A jewish person calls another person a jew, nothing big.
A woman calls another woman something that a man would be slapped for, nothing big.
A black person calling another black person the N word, nothing big.
A mentally-challenged kid calling another kid retarded, nothing big.

What is your view on this subject? Notice I haven't commented yet, but I will later on in the thread.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
The only Bone Thugz song I like is the one they did with biggie "Notorious Thugz"....I haven't really listened to any others though so I might like their music.

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
Dude, Paper is lame.

Break out with Foe The Love Of Money, Ecstasy, Weed Song, 1st of the Month, or Thuggish Ruggish Bone. THOSE are the jams.

Foe The Love of Money is one of my all time favs :)

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
bone thugs is the sh*t. i've been listening to them since 7th grade. they're my fav group. turn on the old sh*t. like off of Creep On A Come Up. those are the best songs they've ever come out with. the new sh*t is kinda played out. only song i like off of Ressurection is No Way Out.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
he changed the topic just as i posted a reply. damn. i gotta learn to type faster...

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Aight, since we changed topics, I guess I'll post a reply to the new topic:

I definately think there is a double standard, but I really can care less. If blacks want to degrade themselves by calling each other by the N word (even if they use it as a positive term, it's history is mostly a derogative one), then let them go ahead and have fun. If a white person wants to do it, let the black person beat the $h!t out of him. I really could care less.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'm with Pretender. Though, I don't think of it as derogatory when they use it with each other.

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The flaw in this is the assumption that there are such things as "hate crimes." An insult in an insult, period. A beating is a beating, period. It's wrong to insult people, beat people, etc. Kids, in their naivete, sit there in class, debating a straw man and thereby legitimizing that which should not be. Shame on the teachers and school admininstrators that push their liberal agendas.

blurredvisionx

Oct 5, 2000

<< It's just a word, it is the intent to hurt that makes a word bad. >>

When can you prove it was an intent to hurt though??? That's the only problem.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
If you don't want to hear the word &quot;great person&quot;, don't use it. I can't believe how naive people can be about the importance of language. If you want to be treated like a slave, talk like an idiot. This business of it's ok for an Italian to call his brother a &quot;wap&quot;, but it's not ok for a stranger to call someone a &quot;wap&quot; mangles logic and common sense. Of course, context is always important, but the only way to rid our language of the power of such epithets is to stop using them ourselves. Police your own language before you demand others police theirs.

Just my two farthing's worth.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
That isn't the question chess9, &quot;If you don't want to hear the word &quot;great person&quot;, don't use it&quot; The black kids didn't mind using the word, it is the white kid who cared, and he never said it.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Yes, I see I misunderstood the question. I just came in from running and was dripping sweat all over the keyboard and saw your post and thought you IMPLIED the white kid used the word &quot;great person&quot;. (Perhaps if you had said the white kid complained, I wouldn't have been so stupid! :p ) My apologies.

I don't think anyone should use that language. Blacks my age do not refer to themselves that way. I don't think it's a hate crime though, unless self-loathing is a hate crime! For a black person to use the word suggests they haven't read enough history or don't appreciate the struggles of their parents and grandparents.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< For a black person to use the word suggests they haven't read enough history or don't appreciate the struggles of their parents and grandparents. >>

This is what I would think as well, I'd like hear what black parents, baby boomers, and grandparents have to say re: this. I wonder how they fell about the use of this word.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
That whole idea of like black people allowed to say the N word is completley dumb. This is how it would be used elsewhere:

&quot;Hey whore, lets go shopping&quot; (woman to woman)

&quot;Hey bastard, lets get something to eat&quot; (man to man)

&quot;Hey penny pinching Jew, lets play some computer games&quot; (Jew to Jew)

&quot;Hey raindance, lets watch some baseball&quot; (Native American to Naitive American)

The list goes on and on. And guess what? No one in their right mind actually talks like that. This just proves that black people must not find the N word very offensive, otherwise they wouldnt use it so much. I think this is a case of either them just wanting the word to themselves (and only calling it offensive when someone other than they say it) or some other rediculous reason.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
If you want to call yourself something, expect others to call you the same.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
????
&quot;Blacks my age do not refer to themselves that way.&quot;
Obviously they probably wouldn't say it infront of you, but if you've ever been to a North Side BBQ! :) (north side in tulsa = minority area mainly). I have a couple of black friends, and they still use it, just not as much as around white people. I don't really mind the word, in fact I joke around with my friends calling them a awesome dude, they call me one too sometimes LOL. They aren't my best friends, and I usually hang out with my white friends, but I still consider them friends. Another question is, Is segregation in schools good? My school like I said is a higher academic school (Booker T Washington in Tulsa, Oklahoma). They accept around 50% black and 50% other, and we were the highest ranking school for advanced classes in Oklahoma last year. I play Ice Hockey for a private school, and 90% of the team are afraid of black people, and said if they saw one in a dark alley they would run like crazy, it's a sad world we live in.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000

<< If you want to call yourself something, expect others to call you the same. >>

Wow that's really ignorant, wouldn't except that from someone who had a great story of struggling with depression.

64bitloopy

Banned
Oct 11, 2000
I often scratch my head and wonder how people can seek equality when they build up walls like these. It's just like when the nba started cracking down on the use of the mf word. Several black players spoke up against it saying that mf was not a bad word, just a part of their culture?

what kind of excuse is that. if you don't want to be called by that name, don't use that name. regardless of what race, religion, or creed, using derogatory words withing that culture is allowing others to do so to. How can anyone be looked upon as anything different when you keep doing the same thing

step above.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Impact: I agreed with Reitz in my first post. I think he intends the same thing. Don't use the word &quot;great person&quot; unless you are prepared to have it spoken to you by someone else.

I have only two black friends, one female. Since she's a minister, I doubt her range of expletives extends much further than &quot;drat&quot;. The guy is in our little running group and is a thoracic surgeon. I've never heard him swear, save use such a self-loathing term. (I don't understand most of the words he does use because he is very literate.) If I referred to him as a &quot;awesome dude&quot; I'm sure that's the last I would see of him. If he referred to himself in like manner, that's the last I would see of him. Maybe it's the age, maybe it's the education, or maybe it's just good sense.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Impact, it is not ignorant. How can a person sit there and tell me that it is offensive if I use a certain word, and then he goes ahead and uses it himself? That is a double standard.

I don't care what the group or minority is; if you do not wish to be called certain derogatory names, do not use those names yourself. If I start calling myself &quot;Mr. Butt-Ugly Dumbass&quot;, pretty soon others are going to do the same. Maybe you are right and that is not fair, but it is reality. Don't want to be called a great person, or a i love you, or whatever else? Then don't say it.