Something Happened after installing a new graphics card

drumsfield

Mar 8, 2010
I recently purchased a Radeon 290X and installed it onto my old rig. When I turned the machine on the fans would spin but nothing would display. I placed my old graphics card back in and the same thing, fans spin but no display. The monitor just stays black. So I went through the steps of checking all my parts on another rig.

Placed the new graphics card in the other machine. Works fine.
Placed the CPU and RAM in the other machine. Works fine.
Test the old rig with a different PSU. Same thing no display.
The other rig has the exact same PSU as the first rig.

Which leads me to believe something happened to the mother board of the first machine when I installed the new card. I didn't see any sparks and the mobo still fires up so I'm scratching my head? Could it be something else? At this point I'm just about resigned to ordering a new CPU, Mobo, and upgrade that rig.... :\

BroHamBone

Apr 3, 2015
^^ Reset bios

and do you have onboard graphics? See if you can load in that way, then install drivers and reset.

But normally, a bios reset should work.. seeing how im on a 2011 board w/ no onboard vga.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Agree with the others. I could also be wrong in remarks I'll add here.

With the advent of integrated "iGPU" graphics, this would likely be a common panic on some boards of some generations at startup with a new dGPU added to it.

More recent boards and BIOS'es have an "auto" feature option in the selection for the initial graphics card at post-time.

So . . . and but . . . yeah . . . check the BIOS to see which graphics (iGPU or dGPU) the system is set to use at boot-up.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Listen to the computer when it boots. If the CPU fan spins up to 100%, then drops back down to normal speed, that means the computer is working but not displaying anything. If the fan stays at 100% the entire time, it probobly means the computer wasnt able to POST properly. Try the integrated graphics if you have them, also as others have mentioned, reset your BIOS.