Something good from Republican feud with Disney?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
copyrights are not patents.

I do not think copyrights last too long.

I think ill start a store called "target" with a red bullseye logo. I am sure nobody will be confused with the "other" target. its legal after all.

I'll start making bags with LV logos on them, now its legal! etc.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I think ill start a store called "target" with a red bullseye logo. I am sure nobody will be confused with the "other" target. its legal after all.

Isn't that a trademark?

I think McDonalds tried to go after a Jamaican restaurant that had McDonald's as the same name.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Current copyright is so long it defeats the intended purpose of copyright law. The purpose was to promote authorship by allowing authors to realize value from their works. Current copyright law has resulted in stagnation as corporations would rather rehash their old works than risk developing new.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My post from the other thread:

Howley is a fucking idiot. But Copyright needs massive reform and I would fully support a cross the board cut from 95 years to 56 years. Really I think it should be automatic for 20 years, after that you have to register and pay a fee every 5 years. The fee would start small for the first renewal but then get much more expensive each renewal and then no renewals after ~50-60 years.

Effectively infinite copyright causes a lot of issues, especially with abandoned works.

So the right thing, for all the wrong reasons.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The idea isn't wrong but doing it because a company dared to criticize your policies is just fucking wrong. So good idea but Hawley can eat a bag of dicks for how he is going about it. He also using this for fund raising. Basically until he figured out he could bully a company he could have given two shits about copyright reform. Fuck him.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"The age of Republican handouts to Big Business is over."
Yeah, that'll be the day. But go on with your governmental punishment of a corporation-person for using their free speech if it makes you feel like maybe you could actually satisfy a woman at some point in your life. Too bad that woman is MTG.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Interesting situation-the tail is trying to wag the dog. For many, many generations the GOP was the party of business. Now apparently GOP politicians think that the Trumper crowd's pockets are as deep and generous as business has been. Maybe even start heavily funding moderate Dems.

If I was in business' shoes I'd cut a lot of these ungrateful bastards off-cold turkey.

In a sane world businesses set the policy and the GOP follows.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Interesting situation-the tail is trying to wag the dog. For many, many generations the GOP was the party of business. Now apparently GOP politicians think that the Trumper crowd's pockets are as deep and generous as business has been. Maybe even start heavily funding moderate Dems.

If I was in business' shoes I'd cut a lot of these ungrateful bastards off-cold turkey.

In a sane world businesses set the policy and the GOP follows.
Godwin incoming!

Big business thought they could control Hitler.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Err whut? Mickey Mouse is from 1928. That is 94 years of copyright already.

I am not going to look too closely at a gifted horse if this actually curtails zombie copyright.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
The one where he walks around in public with no pants?

how did you know??
SZ0Dhob.gif

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Err whut? Mickey Mouse is from 1928. That is 94 years of copyright already.

I am not going to look too closely at a gifted horse if this actually curtails zombie copyright.

I dunno...Disney created Mickey Mouse...they own it in its entirety. Shouldn't they continue to have a say about how it's used...or by whom?

No one else should have the right to use another's work without their permission...

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I dunno...Disney created Mickey Mouse...they own it in its entirety. Shouldn't they continue to have a say about how it's used...or by whom?

No one else should have the right to use another's work without their permission...

Well copywrits (except for rich politically connected corporations that purchase politicians in mass) do expire. Mark Twain, Shakespeare, etc. are all in the public domain now.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Last edited:
Reactions: dlerious and Zorba

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Disney appreciates you repeating their lobbying. But that is not how copyrights were intended to work. They were supposed to be for limited duration like patents. Are you arguing that patents should have no expiration either?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

No one that created Mickey is still alive. Disney is no longer owned by the Disney family. They have gotten their value out of Mickey, it's time for him to enter the public domain. Disney itself is the perfect example of why stories should enter the public domain, almost no one would know the story of Snow White, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, etc without Disney. All stories pulled from the public domain.

Also it isn't all of Mickey that's about to enter the public domain, only the original Steamboat Willie. So modern versions are still protected.

Do you think the Wright aircraft company should still have exclusive rights to build aircraft?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My post from the other thread:

Howley is a fucking idiot. But Copyright needs massive reform and I would fully support a cross the board cut from 95 years to 56 years. Really I think it should be automatic for 20 years, after that you have to register and pay a fee every 5 years. The fee would start small for the first renewal but then get much more expensive each renewal and then no renewals after ~50-60 years.

Effectively infinite copyright causes a lot of issues, especially with abandoned works.

So the right thing, for all the wrong reasons.
Yes, and what sucks now is that this bill must be defeated to protect the citizens of America from attacks by the government if they dare to voice disagreement.

It really sucks because I entirely support the merits of the bill. The first amendment has to come first though.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since we are penalizing corporations let’s take away any anti trust exemptions for MLB. After all they became woke on April 15, 1947. And we all know woke is the greatest possible sin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well copywrits (except for rich politically connected corporations that purchase politicians in mass) do expire. Mark Twain, Shakespeare, etc. are all in the public domain now.
The corporation is still alive. Remember, the SCOTUS said corporations are people too. /s

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000