Someone tell me I won't need to upgrade my PSU!

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
Ok, by honest, do I need a better PSU?

5930k @ 4Ghz
64GB DDR4
1 TB 840 Evo (x2)
4TB WD Black
EVGA GTX 1080TI SC2 x2 SLi
LiteOn Blue Ray Drive

Current PSU is a 5 month old XFX Pro Platinum 1000w........Any chance I can make it with this PSU???

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The video cards draw about 250-280 Watts each at full load, and according to https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/09/03/intel-core-i7-5930k-and-core-i7-5820k-revie/8 the CPU might use as much as 350 watts with the overclock. You're around 900 watts already, and still need to add the motherboard, RAM, SSDs, hard drive, optical, etc. Even if the PSU can supply the full 1000 watts all of the time, you're going to have insufficient power if you have everything running at full capacity at the same time...

KyleGates

Oct 19, 2004
I was afraid of that. Never had an issue with dual 1080's but the TI are....a bit more power hungry. Drat. Perhaps I will give er a shot when they arrive and see if I can make it. If not..perhaps a 1200w Prime?

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
RAM and SSD are negligible... i have two OC GTX980 (non ti) on a 850w PSU, an overclocked Haswell, water pump and 2x spinning hard drives

unless the power supply is clearly struggling I would just leave it be.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
You could easily get by with a 800w or 850w power supply with your setup. 1000w is easily enough power for your setup. There are no CPU's in modern times that use 250w to 350w OCing. 1080Ti's are fore more power efficient than the last two or three generations. Years ago graphics cards could take 500w of power when oc'd. I think the most power hungry CPU's are 150w. With Ocing they won't go much north of 200w of power use. People forget that peak power output for components is not average or sustained power use.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I have a similar setup though my GPUs are more power hungry than yours, and I don't hit 1kW on the AC side even running AVX Prime95 and Furmark, and that's with 50W of pump power and a dozen fans. You'll be fine.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OK, here's what I think and what I know.

The better PSUs can often exceed their spec wattage by 100W or more.

I discovered this from a lab-test review of an XFX 750W unit. As I remember, the model in the test was rebadged and of original Seasonic manufacture. I think they showed it sustained a wattage draw of 900+ watts for more than an hour.

It may not matter if the 1000W unit was made by a different source other than Seasonic. That is, it wouldn't matter provided XFX is attentive to consistency in their model-lines and quality.

It is a good idea to see what wattage draw occurs with your rig with everything under stress. I've used my UPS windows software, which shows the wattage draw for everything plugged in to the UPS on a real-time basis.

In my opinion, if you get a good PSU fitting the profile I've explained, it would be wise to choose a size just exceeding the maximum wattage draw that you might only be able to calculate, or otherwise a measure such as mine. PSUs are less efficient if operating in their lowest idle range. They probably perform better at 75% of their peak capacity, but it's always going to be an up and down sort of thing because of your computer usage habits.

And after you apply that rule-of-thumb, it is very unlikely that your system will draw that kind of wattage, even if giving the SLI 2x a workout.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
CPU easily 200W+ spikes.
GPUs ~300W spikes each, maybe more.
Lets over estimate mobo/RAM/SSDs/HDD/etc as ~100W.

That gives us 900W. GPUs might spike a little more than that, and depending on CPU settings it could easily draw over 200W constant (meaning spiking even more). This means with a 1000W max PSU you are sailing close to the wind. And although not everything will be maxed out or spiking at the same time that is how you should spec out a PSU.

You could be OK or not at the moment, but no doubt you are pushing the PSU and it will age quickly. In any case you will need a new PSU sooner rather than later.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
CPU easily 200W+ spikes.
GPUs ~300W spikes each, maybe more.
Lets over estimate mobo/RAM/SSDs/HDD/etc as ~100W.

That gives us 900W. GPUs might spike a little more than that, and depending on CPU settings it could easily draw over 200W constant (meaning spiking even more). This means with a 1000W max PSU you are sailing close to the wind. And although not everything will be maxed out or spiking at the same time that is how you should spec out a PSU.

You could be OK or not at the moment, but no doubt you are pushing the PSU and it will age quickly. In any case you will need a new PSU sooner rather than later.

Umm no. Not even close.

1) You will rarely have cases where you are maxing out both cpu and gpu.

2) That 1080Ti with its 6-pin and 8-pin can pull a maximum of 300watts. That's 150 + 75 + 75. No "maybe mores" but plenty of cases where it draws less (maxing out 2 cards is no easy feat and doing that while maxing the CPU is nearly impossible).

3) 100w is WAY too much for the remainder. 50w is a gross overestimate as is.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
Umm no. Not even close.

1) You will rarely have cases where you are maxing out both cpu and gpu.

2) That 1080Ti with its 6-pin and 8-pin can pull a maximum of 300watts. That's 150 + 75 + 75. No "maybe mores" but plenty of cases where it draws less (maxing out 2 cards is no easy feat and doing that while maxing the CPU is nearly impossible).

3) 100w is WAY too much for the remainder. 50w is a gross overestimate as is.

I really don't think you understand how to spec out a PSU, and honestly I think it's irresponsible for you to post in places like this.

1) I already covered that.

2) Yes GPUs can draw "maybe more" with spikes. That's why often they put capacitors on the output phases and/or on the PCIe power cables.

3) I already said "over estimate"; responsible commenters over estimate because they don't know what other components are powered by the system.

Again:
...although not everything will be maxed out or spiking at the same time that is how you should spec out a PSU.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I really don't think you understand how to spec out a PSU, and honestly I think it's irresponsible for you to post in places like this.

1) I already covered that.

2) Yes GPUs can draw "maybe more" with spikes. That's why often they put capacitors on the output phases and/or on the PCIe power cables.

3) I already said "over estimate"; responsible commenters over estimate because they don't know what other components are powered by the system.

Again:

Really? Are you seriously trying to convince him that a 1000w psu for his system is potentially undersized? I think it's irresponsible for you to do so. Good quality 750-850w PSUs have been more than enough for an OCed 2-GPU system for a while now and parts only get more power efficient, not less, over time.

A quality 1000w unit can handle the spikes you refer to and it absolutely will not degrade his psu because we are not talking 1000w+ continuous draw. We are not even talking about frequent total spikes in that area because the chance of all of those things spiking at the same time is slim to none.

If this were sustained 900w draw I would agree with you. But it's terrible advice to recommend someone spend more money on a theoretical situation that his psu can handle fine and that will rarely ever happen. I believe the one who needs to educate himself is you.

Reactions: Rifter and Valantar

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You might pull 750 watts with everything hammered with Furmark and Prime 95. 1080 Tis have a hard power limit and it will not go over it. Some cards let you modify that limit, but that isn't going above 300 watts.

Mobos, RAM, Hard drives, and SSDs are chump change in terms of power consumption, in the ones of watts for mobos, RAM and SSds, and 10 for a hard drive, if not less.