Someone Posts Bogus 'No Parking' Sign Sep 1, 9:27

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

NEW YORK (AP) - Several Brooklyn residents woke up to find their street empty - because someone had posted a No Parking sign and police had towed their rides.

The sign, which bans parking on a street in the DUMBO neighborhood from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays, mysteriously appeared Monday or Tuesday, residents said, and then police started ticketing and towing cars parked there.

But the Department of Transportation says there aren't any parking restrictions in the area and it doesn't know who posted the placard, which looks official.

Resident David Bourgeois said he had to pay $205 to retrieve his Mini Cooper, with a $60 ticket on the windshield, from a police pound Wednesday after it was hauled away.

"It's just outrageous," he told the Daily News for Friday editions.

The DOT said it would try to dismiss the ticket - and take down the No Parking sign.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
SoHo, Tribeca, ok... but DUMBO? Come on now. You're just asking for it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
SoHo, Tribeca, ok... but DUMBO? Come on now. You're just asking for it.

Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass. Cool neighborhood.

Text

EDIT: I never realized it was "down under," always thought it was downtown under due to its proximity to downtown Brooklyn.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
That is soo funny. It reminds me of when I put up caution tape on the main walk way at school, and everyone walked around it through a mud puddle. Except this was a much more expensive prank.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I like how they will "try" to clear the tickets, which means those who were ticketed might still have to pay.