Someone is trying to scam me with a supposed contest entry

MoobyTheGoldenCalf

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
I've got 2 phone lines coming into my house. One regular, one I just use for work (I work from home). They are both listed in the yellow pages though so I get a lot BS calls on the work line. Yesterday I start getting all these calls on my work line that the caller ID says is "Private Caller", so I don't answer them. After a while though, I get really annoyed so I pick it up. It's some dude telling me I've won the "Cool Car - Cold Cash Giveway" and he starts trying to verify my personal info over the phone. Of course I don't tell him anything. Then he asks if I remember entering the contest and I tell him nope cuz it didn't happen. I've never used this phone number for anything other than business. He shuts up real quick and was like "Um OK thanks bye".

So then he calls back AGAIN today. This time he leaves a message telling me he's got good news for me and I should call him back at 888-767-8946. I can't find anything on that number on google or on anything called cool car cold cash giveaway. I know I never entered anything. Should I call the guy back or just leave it?

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
If you have an enemy, give the caller his name and address. :evil:

I'd just let it go.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Text
Reminds me of Family Guy episode.

Salesman - Wait hold on a minute! You can have the boat, OR the mystery box!
Lois - *Snickers* Well take the...
Peter *Interupts* Hold on a minute Lois; a boats a boat, but the mystery box could be anything! *enthusiastic* It could even be a boat! You know how much we wanted one of those!
Lois - Then lets just take the...
Peter - Well take the box!