Someone hit my car last night!

focusyn

Sep 3, 2000
UGH.... Someone hit my brand new Saab 9-3 last night while I was a friend's place. The damage isn't too bad, a big dent on the rear left corner of the car, even though i'll probably have to get it replaced. But considering that it was a hit & run, I feel raped and pissed off. At least the only damage seems to be that part and hopefully nothing internal [crosses fingers]

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Sucks. Someone hit/scrapped the side of my rear bumper while I was in class. Scrapped the paint (completely off in some spots) on about 1' of the bumper :\

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Similar happened to me in front of my parents house (when I was living there). I would love to get the @$$ that made it, so I could broke his fingers!

Well, maybe he's bigger than me ... then I would have a bigger problem ... :frown:

focusyn

Sep 3, 2000
Yea... Well I just filed the claim with the insurance company, and everything seems to be going smoothly. I just hope that they don't have to take the car for days on end to fix (that's probably the most frustrating part for me), it shouldn't take that long if they already have the parts. I still feel like opening a can of whoop-@$$ though.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: focusyn
Yea... Well I just filed the claim with the insurance company, and everything seems to be going smoothly. I just hope that they don't have to take the car for days on end to fix (that's probably the most frustrating part for me), it shouldn't take that long if they already have the parts. I still feel like opening a can of whoop-@$$ though.

Seriously....who gives a rat?s ass about not having your car for a couple of days? Should you not be more concerned about how this could impact your insurance rates either now or in the future (if you have another claim)? Higher insurance rates will hurt you for much longer that anything else. That is what I would be pissed about.

focusyn

Sep 3, 2000
well the only reason why i'm not pissed about that is because the insurance company doesn't consider the accident to be my fault, and since this is my first involvement in an accident ever, they told me my premium won't change.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We had the same thing happen to our van when it was 4 months old, kind of takes some of the fun of a new vehicle away. But the body shop did a great job so it wasn't too great a loss, emotionally.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah the hit and run stuff sux.

I have noticed a lot of land yachts/big trucks with the corners of their vehicles fuxored...I would be willing to bet money over half those problems were caused by them bumping someone parking or backing out...I'd also put money on less than half of those people contacted the other vehicle owner or left a note.

I witnessed a Range Rover almost tear a bumper off a car and the driver, stopped....looked around and when they didn't see anyone in the lot, took off, I was in my car waiting for someone, so I wrote the tag down and called the police...they said they'd have to have the hit vehicle's owner confirm, so I left it on their windshield and the details about the incident/that I called in already.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I don't know about other states, but here in Kansas, leaving a note doesn't cut it. You can and will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run) if you pull that crap. Someone hits my car and leaves a note, they better damn well hope that they go out of their way to remedy my situation, otherwise I'm pressing charges. I hate inconsiderate people.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Damn I like the Saabs,

9-3 is damn sexy and so is the 9-5.

Check around the neighborhood, it's prolly someone that lives near by that hit your car.

focusyn

Sep 3, 2000
Yea, I have a feeling i got hit by a SUV or large car as well. The indent on the bumper is way too high for it to be a normal car, it's almost at the tail-lights which is fairly high on a Saab 9-3. I'm just glad that part didn't get jacked up as well, otherwise i wouldn't be able to legally drive it. At least i can still as of now.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Yea, I have a feeling i got hit by a SUV or large car as well. The indent on the bumper is way too high for it to be a normal car, it's almost at the tail-lights which is fairly high on a Saab 9-3. I'm just glad that part didn't get jacked up as well, otherwise i wouldn't be able to legally drive it. At least i can still as of now.

just roam around hte neighborhood with a 9 iron. make sure the shaft is metal and not one of those graphite bs.
I'm sure you'll run across whoever did it.

Psycho ? maybe. But when you catch him/her the look on their face will be priceless.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogue
I don't know about other states, but here in Kansas, leaving a note doesn't cut it. You can and will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run) if you pull that crap. Someone hits my car and leaves a note, they better damn well hope that they go out of their way to remedy my situation, otherwise I'm pressing charges. I hate inconsiderate people.

I don't think you understand the point of leaving a note. When people leave notes it's an offer to remedy the problem. You seem like a very upset person. Remind me when I am Kansas, NOT to leave any notes. Why bother in your great state? You'll only be charged. Better off not leaving a note and nobody would be the wiser.

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Sundog

Seriously....who gives a rat?s ass about not having your car for a couple of days? Should you not be more concerned about how this could impact your insurance rates either now or in the future (if you have another claim)? Higher insurance rates will hurt you for much longer that anything else. That is what I would be pissed about.

can't you be pissed about both?

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Sucks. Someone hit/scrapped the side of my rear bumper while I was in class. Scrapped the paint (completely off in some spots) on about 1' of the bumper :\

Yeah some hik in his big pickup trunk with a large hitch, put a nice dent and scratch in my little honda accord

Dogg

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
So let me get this right. I can cause damage to something of yours and simply leave a note explaining myself? How about I remove a few hundred dollars or more from your bank account and leave a note that I'll take care of it later? Either way, it's not the right thing to do. If you hit someone else's vehicle and you can't find them, call the police and report it before just driving off. Make a report, admit guilt and let the system work. That is the right thing to do. Many times, people will leave a note and then regret it and actually go out of their way to change their phone number they left and everything else for fear that they're more liable than the initially thought. As I stated, whoever leaves a note for me had better damn well be courteous and polite and go out of their way to remedy things. BTW, I'm a police officer and you should not be so naive as to think that a note left behind is a promise of some kind that they will in fact follow through and hold up their end of the bargain. Many people like you have filed police reports against this "note distribution person" and never gotten resolution from it, leaving you with all the responsibility.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's a hard call...leaving the scene is never legal in any state...however, quite a few other vehicle owners would rather the police not be called (which is illegal as in any accident it is to be reported)....

I would rather myself have someone just leave a note and be willing to fix it properly no matter what the cost. No matter what incidents have happened to me and whether or not they were my fault, it has affected my insurance and usually in an amount greater than the claim was.

Go to any online insurance forms the question they will ask is usually "Whether at-fault or not, how many claims have you made to your own or another insurance company in the last .... years? How many were you at fault for? How many through your own policy?" If you play with the combinations a lot of times the rates are very different which they shouldn't be. The only case I see a need for causing my rate to change is number of at-fault incidents and/or the number of comprehensive type claims against my own policy and then only if it's an unreasonable number as things like hail damage or random vandalism happen.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Problem with people leaving a note is that allot of times info will be faked. If you write a note neighbor will think you are leaving a note and will not call the cops, happened to me once and it sucks.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
I'm here again!

Some opinions:

[1] Insurance make money with people that don't have accidents and don't report sh|t! Period! As any business, they will "punish" those who take out their profits! That itself is pretty bad, unless ofcourse you OWN an insurance company. That is a business like any other.

[2] This stuff happened to me (as I stated before) and also to my father in same neighborhood (yes, I know, move! :D). I hate when it happened (like anyone would hate), but we are all talking about the hit&run VICTIMS. Now, I'll leave a question in the air: Honestly, how many of you think would stay in the scene/leave a note/admit guilt in a situation where you just bumped a car, and (you think) no one is looking?

You don't have to answer, just think about it. As a matter of fact, whichever answer you may give doesn't matter here ... what DOES matter is what you'll do IN THE SITUATION!