Somebody say something about Penryn!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
BTW, look closely at the screenshot for that ES E6600; it's using 1.15v @ 4.0 Ghz.:) That's really all the proof anyone would need, when saying that Intel sends only the best ES chips to the hardware review sites.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
It's just like what we have now, but heat won't limit the oc so quickly. That's really the only difference.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: myocardia
Originally posted by: n7
I'm very impressed with how these intial cherry picked Penryn quads are clocking.

You must not remember when the first C2D's were being tested by the review sites. Every ES E6600 that I saw did 4 Ghz on stock voltage: Anand's 4 Ghz E6600 on air.

Not really a fair comparison. Dual Core @ 4.0GHz w/ Tuniq Tower does not equal a Quad core @ 4.0GHz with stock Intel HSF. I see your point though.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Its quite an achievement but I'll be more impressed with it when next year they come out with more (Yorkdale/Yorkfield or whatever its called) versions and at lower prices. Till then its an overpriced cpu few can afford.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Originally posted by: 21stHermit
Originally posted by: Emission
The problem with these modern day chips and such is that the overclocking game with mid-range chips has become somewhat expensive. I'm going with a celeron chip for my overclocking venture (45nm hopefully) so that I can get a multi of 10x or more, and not have to buy a $300 board to have anything decent.

Overclocking was originally the poor mans game, not sure why that should change.
I'm with you Emission!!!

BTW, The E4700 will have a 11X multi on 45nm @ $133, likely a year earlier than a Celeron 45nm. Celeron Dual Cores will show Q1-08, most likely on 65nm.

If it is 45nm, it could just be another 65nm Allendale. Also with an 800 FSB it'd be a 13x multiplier not 11x =) 13 is much more impressive considering a bump to 1333 fsb would net 4.33ghz @ stock multiplier. If it is a 45nm Allendale and runs cooler, less power, I might pick one up to see what I can push it too. I'll probably end up getting one of the higher end quads just cause.

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
Originally posted by: magreen
For crying out loud, somebody say something about the Penryn launch. It's only the most exciting cpu event to happen in months. Finally, something to talk about besides "help me oc my e4400" or "why is my multi at 6?".

Anand OC'd his to 4.0GHz on the stock cooler. That's amazing - anyone have any idea how far it could go with good cooling like the TR ultra 120 extreme?

Someone, somewhere, got it to 4.5GHz in their review... not sure if it was stock cooling though, and Bit-Tech managed 4.35 with a Zalman CNPS9700.