Some questions for all you ebayers

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I am quite a noob on Ebay and someone just bid on one of my textbook listings.

1. What happens if you select a shipping method but then when you ship it you change it to something else?

2. If a bidder does not pay how can you take down an item?

Feb 24, 2001
1. Depends on the method. If you charge next day FedEx and ship it media mail, expect some trouble. You charge first class and try to get away with media mail? Usually no big deal. Generally with Paypal, delivered is delivered as long as you have confirmation.

2. File non-paying bidder report and relist, get your fees back, no big deal.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
1. Depends on the method. If you charge next day FedEx and ship it media mail, expect some trouble. You charge first class and try to get away with media mail? Usually no big deal. Generally with Paypal, delivered is delivered as long as you have confirmation.

Bruno pretty much has it.

You should stick to whatever shipping method you listed, unless you first let the buyer know that you plan on chaning the method.

Last edited:

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010

1. I put down UPS ground with a shipping of four dollars and I am planning on using media mail.
HOw much trouble would I get into?

2. How long does the bidder have to pay after he/she had won?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
1. I put down UPS ground with a shipping of four dollars and I am planning on using media mail.
HOw much trouble would I get into?

2. How long does the bidder have to pay after he/she had won?

I'd be pissed off. why the fuck would you do that? Why didn't you put media mail in as the shipping method to begin with? you trying to rip people off?

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I'd be pissed off. why the fuck would you do that? Why didn't you put media mail in as the shipping method to begin with? you trying to rip people off?

Because I am shipping a textbook and UPS Ground is mainly use to ship bigger package?

I am not trying to rip people off... Thats why I am asking this.
The buyer did not pay yet if that is any good.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I bought an item and paid $4 for UPS ground, then 3 weeks later received it via media mail, I would be very unhappy and the feedback would not be positive.

ArJuN

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2005
If you are shipping with media mail, say that you are. If you say UPS ground, I'm going to expect it within the week with a tracking number so I can see exactly where it is. If you say you're using media mail, I'll forget about the package for a week and a half, and it'll eventually surprise me on my door step. If you say ground and you ship media, expect negative feedback and a Paypal claim a week in.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
If you are shipping with media mail, say that you are. If you say UPS ground, I'm going to expect it within the week with a tracking number so I can see exactly where it is. If you say you're using media mail, I'll forget about the package for a week and a half, and it'll eventually surprise me on my door step. If you say ground and you ship media, expect negative feedback and a Paypal claim a week in.

I see where you are getting at.

What if I ship it via priority mail with a flat rate envelope for a textbook?

Kinda new at selling stuff on Ebay.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I see where you are getting at.

What if I ship it via priority mail with a flat rate envelope for a textbook?

Kinda new at selling stuff on Ebay.

Any time you plan on deviating from what was listed in the auction, you need to inform the buyer. If he/she is okay with it, proceed from there.

Otherwise it's best to stick with what you outlined in the auction.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Any time you plan on deviating from what was listed in the auction, you need to inform the buyer. If he/she is okay with it, proceed from there.

Otherwise it's best to stick with what you outlined in the auction.

After the bidding process do I get time to talk with the buyer?

What would be the case if the buyer doesn't respond?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
After the bidding process do I get time to talk with the buyer?

What would be the case if the buyer doesn't respond?

Yes, you can contact the buyer.

If the buyter doesn't respond, I would do my best to stick with the original shipping option. If that isn't possible, I would at least apologize to the buyer and offer to compensate for the price difference in shipping methods.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
Yes, you can contact the buyer.

If the buyter doesn't respond, I would do my best to stick with the original shipping option. If that isn't possible, I would at least apologize to the buyer and offer to compensate for the price difference in shipping methods.

I will apologize and I just informed the buyer.

But USPS priority shipping cost the same if not more than the shipping price of UPS GRound on the four dollar shipping fee.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I will apologize and I just informed the buyer.

But USPS priority shipping cost the same if not more than the shipping price of UPS GRound on the four dollar shipping fee.

That's fine, it's just better to alert the buyer of any change, even if it's for the better.

It makes for a better experience for both the seller and buyer when you do so.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
That's fine, it's just better to alert the buyer of any change, even if it's for the better.

It makes for a better experience for both the seller and buyer when you do so.

Already inform the buyer.

Hopefully the buyer would respond because the buyer have no feedback and he just recently join the day I posted my listing.

Kinda of suspicious that it might be a Joy bidder but when I check my item it said My item will sell.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Already inform the buyer.

Hopefully the buyer would respond because the buyer have no feedback and he just recently join the day I posted my listing.

Kinda of suspicious that it might be a Joy bidder but when I check my item it said My item will sell.

Yeah, 0 feedback bidders can be a a bit iffy. Hope it turns out well for you :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
unless it's a super rare expensive book, i doubt people are going to try to scam on such low-end items.