Question Some questions about about partitions and dynamic disks

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
The situation that these questions apply to is this. I have two 1tb SSd's, one 850evo and the other an 860evo. The 860 is a new addition so currently the 850 has everything on it. It has a 250gb and 750 gb logical drive partitions, the 250 has windows + utilities and the 750 is where I have all my installed games. I have always liked having a separate drive letter for games for organizational purposes and it certainly used to give performance benefits to have them located on a separate physical disk on platter drives. Now as far as space consumption goes I probably dont need more than 250gb in my windows partition, its currently using under 70 gb and that includes office so it has everything I need and plenty of space fore more.

So for questions, do separate physical drives still give a noticeable performance boost with SSD's or that is that fairly unimportant unless your using platter drives?

What are the downsides to a dynamic partition for a drive, I know you cant install OS's and thats not an issue, I imagine that if I have a dynamic partition span two drives I loose the whole partition if either drive goes.

If I decide to make a dynamic partition so that I have a 250gb partition and a 1.75tb partition does it make a difference where the partition is started in disk management, should I start it on the second drive and extent to include the extra space from the OS drive or just extend the existing one the OS drive to include the new drive.

This is a bit more cloning related, but if I want to clone my games partition to the new drive and run them just as two separate drives do I need to just clone the drive partition or is it advisable to also clone over the small 470mb oem partition just before the main data partition