Some pictures I took over the weekend (no girls in pics, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
I just placed my digital camera over the eyepiece of my Skylar SeriouScope and fiddled with some settings to take these pictures.

P1000217.jpg
P1000220.jpg

P1000210.jpg

P1000209.jpg

I know I can get better pictures with practice, and with some kind of adapter for my camera (Lumix DMC-ZS7)

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Update: awesome night to watch Jupiter. Europa is in transit (the black dot)

P1000430cropped.jpg

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Sometimes it's so weird to see pictures of our nearby planets.

And Jupiter is a strange planet all on it's own - theoretically, it could be a failed brown-dwarf star.

Speaking of, wouldn't it just be weird to have a star orbiting the star your home-planet orbits? That could result in massive amounts of "day-time" if the other star is luminous enough from a close-enough distance - and if large enough, one could see the temperature impact too. Or, if distant enough, it'd almost be like a moon in the night-sky.
Living in a binary star system would be strange.

Anywho - neat photos. :)

konakid7

Sep 16, 2010
gohapuna.com
I just heard that Jupiter and it's moons are the closest they've been in fifty years. It's a great time to be doing some star gazing. Nice pictures, keep it up.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
This is it
It's an Orion Skyquest XT8 Telescope, nicknamed Skylar SeriouScope (reps to gorcorps and zinfamous for the name suggestion)

How much does something like that cost? I've been wanting a nice telescope, but I can't afford one yet

<-- grad student :(

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
How much does something like that cost? I've been wanting a nice telescope, but I can't afford one yet

About $350 dollars. This is a good website for price comparison. Just keep in mind that those telescopes you see in toy stores and are priced under $200 are basically useless. If you want to do some serious observing, you need to spend at least $300 for the scope and at least $150 for some good eyepieces. The more advanced, compact telescopes cost around $1,000 and up.

If you are willing to spend about $500, you can get a telescope with automatic object locator. You just type the name of the object you want to observe and the telescope will automatically show you the object.

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002

[FONT=&quot]So tell me, what could you afford? I have one similar to the OP's, not quite as powerful,(114mm x 1000mm), but computerized, and motorized, with a 3.5, 10, and 20mm eye piece.Could not get the grand kids interested,and it's gathering dust in the basement. Would be willing to let it go for around $150,+shipping charges, BUT ONLY to someone who will appreciate it. As the OP will tell you, these are not toys. http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=55&ProdID=528
And yes Virginia, I know this is not the buy, or sell forum, just thinking I could help an ATOT member who seems to have a genuine interest. He can PM me. nuff said.[/FONT]

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is it
It's an Orion Skyquest XT8 Telescope, nicknamed Skylar SeriouScope (reps to gorcorps and zinfamous for the name suggestion)

:D
:thumbsup:

I particularly like that destrekor tried to google "SeriouScope."

:D

(eh, this thread is already #2 hit...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.