Some people are just too stupid to allow to live

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
I saw this story on the news and got a huge kick out of it. Some people are just stoopid.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
Yeah I was driving past a wind farm out in West Texas last summer and threw up a little in my mouth. I'd hate to have to live there. :roll:

I think the throwing up in your mouth had more to do with being in Texas than the wind farm.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dullard
Why don't you try looking at your own power bill asking for you for donations to offset the cost?

Huh, never seen that and I live within 20 minutes of the wind farm mentioned in the article.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
A low grade ambulance chaser in the employ of a some NIBY folks.

Classic.

Yep. This is probably lawyer Jack Vieley's first case all year.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: EatSpam
Huh, never seen that and I live within 20 minutes of the wind farm mentioned in the article.
What is with all the trouble on my post? I'm refering to this post and ONLY THIS POST:
Originally posted by: moshquerade
we were given the opportunity to purchase power generated by the windmills at a much higher cost.
Thus, Moshquerade should look at that as evidence that the windmills were more expensive. Bah, it doesn't affect you at all EatSpam, so why do you care what Moshquerade's power company does?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Diversion:

If we oriented all the wind farms to the east and applied power to the propellers, would the earth?s rotational speed change?

shoRunner

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2004
how many lives must shadow pollution ruin before someone takes a stand! I for one am glad we have "Old Jack" on our side. We must stop these unruly shadows before more damage is done!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
"Green power" costs more from my power company -- Text.
Thanks for the link, Vic. I seem to be running up against a brick wall of people who deny that power companies charge more for wind power. Without extra money, windfarms go broke. Some recent economic data (Feb 2006) is given here:
Conventionally generated electricity for delivery in 2009 is trading for $34 per megawatt hour. Wind, the least expensive of the available exotic renewables, costs about $78 per megawatt hour. Added to this however, wind power is of a very low quality. It can be counted on as reliably available for less than 10 per cent of the time, which means it must have conventional plant standing idle and ready to back it up at a moment's notice, at a further cost of $10 per megawatt hour. Hence the additional cost of wind power is $54 per megawatt hour, more than double the cost of conventional electricity.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: moshquerade
i was hoping you had a link. all i can find are articles stating that they are profitable.
The key is capitialism. When it is profitable, they will be built without asking for extra support. Until then, you'll get a few in limited areas that are profitable. If you don't see them being built (in bulk) in your area, they are not yet profitable there.

Here's the key: They *ARE* profitable. Just not as massively profitable as other energy generation... Thus, the little extra support they're asking for is to make up the difference between profitable and massively profitable.

Have you ever heard of a power company that had a bad quarter, i.e. lost money for a quarter??

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Here's the key: They *ARE* profitable. Just not as massively profitable as other energy generation... Thus, the little extra support they're asking for is to make up the difference between profitable and massively profitable.

Have you ever heard of a power company that had a bad quarter, i.e. lost money for a quarter??
If it costs $70/MWHr to produce wind power, and $40/MWHr to produce other power, and you sell it at $60/MWHr, which is profitable? The answer is clear - wind power is a money loser and conventional power is a money gainer. Now, change it and say you charge $80/MWHr for both. Now they are both profitable (but wind power is far, far, far less profitable). This simple case shows that no general post that they are "never profitable" is false. On the flip side any general post that they are "always profitable" is also demonstrably false.

It is area and local price dependant. In most cases, in most areas, electricity is not going for more than double the cost to produce it. So in most areas, the wind power is not profitable.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Do you really think so? Walmart is plenty profitable, but they still get all the help and tax breaks then can from local governments.

Your friend that works for a power company - what area does he buy electricity for?
There is a complete difference between asking for government help (which virtually all companies ask for) and asking customers to pay more for a product/service.

I live in Nebraska. I'll let you answer your second question. My/his location doesn't matter though. The statement is still true. If it is profitable, you'll see it. What if you don't see it in every city (beyond one or two windmills to pretend to act environmentally responsible)? Guess what, the answer is that it wasn't profitable.

My bad, I misinterpreted your comment. In that case, refer to my previous post - they'll charge as much as people are willing to pay, and there are enough people who'd pay MORE for "environmentally friendly" energy regardless of whether it costs more or less to produce. So I don't think your statement is necessarily true.

I asked about your friend's area because you're making sweeping generalizations based apparantly on one person's experience. We ARE seeing a huge increase in wind power construction, see my previous post - 38% growth. You won't see it in every city because some areas are more suitable for wind power than others.

fallensight

Apr 12, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Do you really think so? Walmart is plenty profitable, but they still get all the help and tax breaks then can from local governments.

Your friend that works for a power company - what area does he buy electricity for?
There is a complete difference between asking for government help (which virtually all companies ask for) and asking customers to pay more for a product/service.

I live in Nebraska. I'll let you answer your second question. My/his location doesn't matter though. The statement is still true. If it is profitable, you'll see it. What if you don't see it in every city (beyond one or two windmills to pretend to act environmentally responsible)? Guess what, the answer is that it wasn't profitable.

Its not a matter if its profitable, its a matter of is it more profitable than the conventional methods? Maybe, maybe not. If it has enough of a future where it could hurt the usual methods, and bring costs for the consumner down, if that brings down the profits for the power companies, then its still something that will get blocked. There is also the whole deal of the reason for the thread, some people wont want to see them.

As dor the donations, that can be as much a scam as anything else. If they ask for money and people give it to them, sounds like a pretty good thing for them that they will keep doing as long as they can. Regardless if the wind power is turning a profit.