Some of the damage from a F5 Tornado.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper22
Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Here are some links to pics of tornado damage from my hometown, La Plata, Maryland.

Here.

Some more.

Yea that was a pretty wicked storm when that Tornado hit....im up in Bowie and remember when that happened. Crazy stuff. You guys down there got hit pretty hard today as well with all the storms that rolled through earlier.

Viper22

I was away at school when it happened. When I came back about three weeks later, the placed looked totally different. It took down so many trees, some places don't look the same. So many places gone...It's kind of funny. I'd go to get gas at the Dash-In, and then realize that we didn't have a Dash-In anymore...

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Moore Oklahoma was hit again this afternoon by a F3 tornado. I feel so bad for those people. :(

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: shinerburke
I remember that night....scary as hell.....that damn thing popped up over OKC and stayed on the ground for nearly 5 hours. Actually made it all the way to us here in Tulsa but died out just before it hit the highly populated part of the city. There were multiple tornadoes that night but that one was a monster. They still talk about it on the news here all the time when tornadoes are out and about. In fact they said it was the most powerful tornado ever recorded and could have been greater than an F5 if the Fujita scale went higher.

Well the idea of the Moore tornado being the strongest is fairly unsubstantiated. There happened to be a mobile doppler near by that saw winds of 318+ and that would make it at the top of the F5 rating. The problem, however, is that no winds have ever been measured inside a tornado... only with doppler radar. Since no other tornadoes have had mobile doppler so close, erroneous reports have come out stating the Moore tornado was the strongest. There really is no way to compare wind speeds from storms because the Fujita scale can only guesstimate speeds. It is based on the appearance of damage, the quality of homes, size of structure, etc. I would say the Moore tornado is in the top 5 all time in the past 50 years.

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: mattgyver1

On that same show it said some Indian tribe had a saying, something like "If you see the dead man walking, you are about to die." Then it showed a picture of a DUAL funnel cloud that looked like a person's legs. It gave me chills seeing that.

That's pretty creepy...

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
gotta love denver. close enough to get tornado warnings, but too close to the mountains for them to form properly.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium
Moore Oklahoma was hit again this afternoon by a F3 tornado. I feel so bad for those people. :(

Yep. Moore got hit again, as did the rest of the OKC Metro area. So far reports are 125 injured, 18 of those are in critical condition. Luckily, for us in the Tulsa area, that storm died out as it moved into the Tulsa area. There was also a tornado NW of the Tulsa area tonight. Luckily it went through areas that are sparesly populated. Storm chases reported that it was appox a mile wide....haven't heard it's F rating yet.