Some information on a P4 2.8ghz

skeeterific53

May 11, 2008
Hey Everyone!

I am kind of a n00b on here. I lurk a lot but don't really post much.

I just inhertited a Dell Diminsion 8200 from a friend for FREE! It had 256MB memory and a P4 2.0GHZ in it. I upgraded to 512MB first, and then 1GB RAMBUS:roll: and then I got a new cpu on Ebay which was a P4 2.8, the largest cpu to be able to fit with this MB.

It seems as if my PC boots slower since I switched the cpu. I thought I would have seen a big difference. BIOS detects it as a 1.4ghz, and I believe it does this because it is a a P4 Hyper Threading. XP recognizes it as a 2.8 I remember back from my school days that this was the beginning of the dual core days when these CPU's came out., so I think thats why BIOS detects it like that.

I was wondering if I can overclock this, and what do I need to do to perform this? Is there some software to download or something? Again, n00b here, sorry. Also, what is the max I can put this CPU up to without hurting it?

Below is the information I got from Everest......

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1400 MHz (14 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood HyperThreading
CPU Stepping D1
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original Clock 2800 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 14x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
Transistors 55 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
Die Size 131 mm2
Core Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
I/O Voltage 1.475 - 1.55 V
Typical Power 38.7 - 89.0 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 49 - 109 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 0 %

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Hmm, it seems that the motherboard reverts it back to a 400MHz FSB. Maybe that is the limit of your motherboard? I remember that some S478 boards couldnt handle the 800MHz FSB of the newer processors.

skeeterific53

May 11, 2008
MB Info.........

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8200

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type Dual RDRAM
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 400 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
Product Information http://www.dell.com
BIOS Download http://support.dell.com

skeeterific53

May 11, 2008
This part I bolded makes me mad...... why is it so low??

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
CPU Alias Northwood HyperThreading
CPU Stepping D1
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F29h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1395.72 MHz (original: 2800 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 14.0x
CPU FSB 99.69 MHz (original: 200 MHz)
Memory Bus 398.78 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8200

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)
CAS Access Delay (tCAC) 8T
Row To Column Delay (tRCD) 9T
Roundtrip Channel Delay (tRDLY) 3T

SPD Memory Modules:
RIMM1: Infineon HYR1812840G-845 256 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM2: Infineon HYR1812840G-845 256 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM3: Samsung MR18R 1628AF0-CK8 256 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM4: Samsung MR18R 1628AF0-CK8 256 MB PC800 RDRAM

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Skeeter, your problem is that you bought the wrong processor. Your motherboard's FSB can't go any higher than 100 Mhz. Your new CPU's FSB is supposed to run @ 200 Mhz, so it's only running @ half speed, and on that motherboard, that's the fastest it will ever run. There's nothing wrong with either the processor or the motherboard, you just can't use them together.

You bought a 2.8C, and you should have bought the more expensive (now) 2.8A. Here's a link to one, if you're interested: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=542 BTW, if I were you, I'd grab this 2.6A: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=115 Good luck.

edit: Hmm, they have a 2.8 Ghz Celeron, which has a 100 Mhz FSB, for cheap! Here's the link: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=540 <<--That's definitely what I'd buy.

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I think Andrew1990 is right. I don't know for sure if you can go into bios and set the FSB to 200Mhz or not? Also, I dont know for sure if you can update the bios. Seems to me that you probably won't as they're locked. You most likely have this CPU and you should have this one. Take not that it's NOT hyperthread. Check if that Motherboard can support hyperthread. Its a Dell so you are very limited at what you can do with those boards.

Edit: Myo posts supersedes!:thumbsup:

Negronpope

May 29, 2006
Actually, this looks like a Pentium 4M(Mobile processor). I have a similar (3.2MHz) processor in an Asus desktop motherboard. Because your MB BIOS does not correctly recognize the mobile processor's Speedstep cpu throttling function it defaults to the mobile processor's idling speed. The only way I got around this on my MB was to select a lower memory speed (in BIOS) and overclock the FSB. I don't think that would work with your Rambus based system.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Negronpope
Actually, this looks like a Pentium 4M(Mobile processor). I have a similar (3.2MHz) processor in an Asus desktop motherboard. Because your MB BIOS does not correctly recognize the mobile processor's Speedstep cpu throttling function it defaults to the mobile processor's idling speed. The only way I got around this on my MB was to select a lower memory speed (in BIOS) and overclock the FSB. I don't think that would work with your Rambus based system.

That could be true, but isn't, because the multi for the mobile processors running in a desktop mobo happens to be 12x, not 14x as noted in the OP.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
mobile would default to 12x multiplier, its not a mobile.

the motherboard is older then the cpu, it doesnt reccognize it.
manually set it for 133fsb is the best youre gonna get, it might OC to 150fsb but thats about the best the board can do. the rdram has ratios and is a bit tricky to OC.

HTH :)

IMO: dump the RDRAM board, get a dual ddr400 board.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
This is a Dell.

He can't set the FSB or RAM ratios, or replace the board.

skeeterific53

May 11, 2008
Well I updated the BIOS to the most current, A09, and still the same. Ohh well, I will just run with it until I can get a new PC. This one was given to me, so I am not complaining too much. Its not the primary PC anyways.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Phynaz
This is a Dell.

He can't set the FSB or RAM ratios, or replace the board.
there are ways around everything ;)

this is the OCing forum after all.

Dell did use Asus boards, if his is an Asus board he might be able to flash the real Asus bios onto it.

but again its RDram, replace the platform.
everything is proprietary dell? trash it, or run Win98 on it for DOS games.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
"Hmm, it seems that the motherboard reverts it back to a 400MHz FSB. Maybe that is the limit of your motherboard? I remember that some S478 boards couldnt handle the 800MHz FSB of the newer processors."

-CPU's w/533MHz FSB's may also have a problem with this. So don't bother trying it with a 533MHz FSB chip.

-The chip cannot adjust to 400 because it's locked at 800 to get to 2800MHz, and only the motherboard features can tune something like this. Obviously not the case with most standard equipped Dell's.

"IMO: dump the RDRAM board, get a dual ddr400 board."

-Don't forget about the processor compatibility features you want. Aim for an FSB800 motherboard if you should go this route. But being as is, it'd be better to gear for an Athlon X2 3600 system, perhaps. Upgrading again on the Intel 478 path might be a waste.

"This is a Dell.

He can't set the FSB or RAM ratios, or replace the board."

-Don't forget that Dell makes gaming PC's. This is stereotypically a generalization. I think what you meant, was that the Dimension line isn't very fond of having advanced user adjustable, feature-rich motherboards, especially for Pentium 4 processor class systems.

-Speaking of which,
"edit: Hmm, they have a 2.8 Ghz Celeron, which has a 100 Mhz FSB, for cheap! Here's the link: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=540 <<--That's definitely what I'd buy."
A 2.8GHz Celeron will be slower than the 2.0GHz Pentium 4, originally replaced by the newer Pentium 4.

You can notice the difference in just running 3D applications with a Pentium 4 clocked at a lower speeds and a Celeron clocked at higher speeds, regardless of whatever graphics engines are used, Intel, ATI, nVidia, Matrox, etc. The Celeron will almost always perform slower in overall system performance than the P4's due to less cache size and processor technology capabilities with the motherboard.

I recommend stop wasting your money on upgrading the system. I think after the 512mb in total system memory was added, you should of just left it that way. RD RAM is over rated and overpriced, that stuff is considered ancient now anyway.

kotrtim

Jun 9, 2007
The RAMBUS is running hot, PC-1200 version is running @ 600 MHZ, can't imagine what happens if you overclock it. The clock speed is even higher than the top DDR2. My opinion is to leave the system as it is, use until it dies. RAMBUS is obsolete, might be harder to get than SD RAM? I am unsure. Quantity of DDR is also decreasing these days and they are more expensive than DDR2

Oct 20, 2005
Do you still have the old CPU? Why wouldn't you just use the original 2.0ghz CPU for now? (unless you sold it or something)

justinm

Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: kotrtim
The RAMBUS is running hot, PC-1200 version is running @ 600 MHZ, can't imagine what happens if you overclock it. The clock speed is even higher than the top DDR2. My opinion is to leave the system as it is, use until it dies. RAMBUS is obsolete, might be harder to get than SD RAM? I am unsure. Quantity of DDR is also decreasing these days and they are more expensive than DDR2

So it would be a good idea to not sell the crap ton of DDR1 I already have eh?

OP

Install your old P4 chip in there and sell the new chip.

skeeterific53

May 11, 2008
wow, alright then I guess back in with the old. I bought the 2.8 for 30 bux so it wasnt much of a loss.