Some help ? setting up new Galaxy S9

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got my CDMA SIM, 256GB SD card inserted. Just today got Verizon service (MVNO = Redpocket) activated and my old Windows Phone number ported over. So, I just started configuring the phone. I have a couple other Android cheapo phones (unactivated) that I've been using around the house for a year. I was asked if I want to restore from those phones and I did some googling, decided, OK on the first. There's not a lot there, but are 29 apps, so I guess they are restored to the S9 now. I wasn't asked if I then wanted to restore from the 2nd cheapo Android... whatever, most of the apps are the same, well maybe.

Anway, I'm at a screen now called Protect your phone, and I can set up all or any of the following (evidently):

Intelligent Scan
Face recognition
Iris
Fingerprints
Pattern
PIN
Password
Not now

So, I gather that people may and usually do favor some other others and likely don't bother with some. For around the house (I haven't been going out lately!), I figure I don't need identification technology, I'm the only one here. When I start going out, I'll want some.

Well, tips on these and ANYTHING ELSE will be very much appreciated!

BTW, I haven't made a call yet or used any data, AFAIK. I've set up both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi on this, left it connected to the 2.4ghz because downstairs is a ways away from the router and I figure I won't get adequate 5ghz connectivity down there (sensible?). I'm disappointed that looking at the phone I only see 2 or 3 of the 5 possible bars for data. I was hoping that would be better than what I always saw on my Windows Phone on AT&T but it looks about the same. One reason I got this unlocked phone and went Verizon was that I figured they'd had a stronger signal at my house, but maybe no such luck.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I figure getting the fingerprint recognition might be a good place to start?? I hit that and it says to use that I need to set up a PIN, pattern and password first. OK, so I hit PIN and am asked if I want the PIN required on start up. The default is no. Which should I select (and why)?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
So, I figure getting the fingerprint recognition might be a good place to start?? I hit that and it says to use that I need to set up a PIN, pattern and password first. OK, so I hit PIN and am asked if I want the PIN required on start up. The default is no. Which should I select (and why)?

PIN required to start means when you boot or restart the phone it will ask for a pin before it loads the OS. This encrypts your storage (don't think it encrypts the SD card? might be a seperate option for that), so an extra layer of security in case you lose it. No reason to not enable it IMO, unless you have a tendency to forget PINs.

Reactions: Muse